Default Iron Patriot #5 Review/Discussion

So this is the final issue of this series

spoilers:
    This issue killed me, and definitely brought more tears than I should admit to my eyes.

The issue starts with Rhodey's dad fighting the bad guy in suit (I don't think we ever got a name did we?), while Rhodey is stuck in his suit unable to do anything but watch because of the bad guys control of the IP suit. Finally the bad guy loses his control on the suit and Rhodey jumps out ready to fight. When the bad guy tells him to just step out of the way and he only wants to get the Ex- President, Rhodey refuses. BG then begins to charge his repulsors(?) to fire at Rhodey and the ex-pres, but Terence jumps in and causes a small explosion between him and BD. This angers Rhodey and he begins beating on the BG who's suit is still on, but not in super great shape, while a bunch of the public watches on their phones and things. Rhodey finally stops and asks BD to give up. He says no, but gives Rhodey a flash drive. Rhodey then turns to his dad and tells him it's over, but his dad never answers.

The next few pages show the BD in the hospital where he's told he did good, but not good enough. Then he's smothered with a pillow by someone hired by Fujikawa, the same man the BD was working for I think. There's also a panel of some congressmen being arrested.

Over these pages and the following pages (the funeral) is a speech from Rhodey for his father. It tells of a dream he had where his dad was a boy and fishing, and they're talking, and his dad gives him his last piece of advice. To always be there and always be kind to his people, everyone in the whole wide world.

Then there's a little bit between Tony and Lila, where Tony asks her about her adjustments to the IP suits, and offers her spare suits and computers to keep her mind off things. Then Rhodey asks Tony to take her home and he'd meet them, but he didn't know when he'd be home.

The last few pages have Rhodey contemplating what to do with the flash drive, which BD told him would expose the evil they have done. (I'm not really sure who they are...) He says "I love you dad", looks at the IP armor, and decides that what's right today is to go home. And it ends with him hugging Lila.
    end of spoilers

So I felt that this was a really good issue, and a fitting, but sad ending to this series. I am sad that we're not getting anymore issues because I really enjoyed this series. I think there was still a lot more that Kot wanted to tell, and I really wanted to get more of interactions between Rhodey and Lila. Especially now, would Rhodey take over as her guardian or is his mom still alive?

Oh and I can't forget the funniest part of this issue!!! spoilers:
    Tony mentions him and Lila are both big fans of Miss America Chavez! I loved it!
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

This was really good and really under-rated.

The series tried (and suceeded, I think) in setting up Rhodey as more than just some soldier but a hero in the best sense. Millions of people not only saw Rhodey defend the President but choose mercy when he had every reason not to.

I'm only sorry they killed off Terrence, but to my knowledge, this series is the first time he appears (previously we only saw or heard from Rhodey's Mom).

But I take it that Terrance' s "Be kind to your people-everybody in the world" to be Rhodey's version of the "Great Power, Great Responsibility" speech.

I would really like to see Kot do more with the character.

I just read this at work and stifling back tears. Kot did some great work in five issues, and this is probably the most heartfelt story I've read with Rhodey at the center. The art by Brown also fit the story extremely well. I wish this series would have gone on longer, but it works as a nice mini for Rhodes.

This was great I wish we could have more. At least we know he's not going into limbo.
    We need better comics

Man, this was a sad issue. Disappointed that it got downgraded to a mini, but there you go. To all the people who complain that the Marvel U isn't diverse enough, how about trying to support a book with a minority lead? You guys let a great book slip away. Here's to Rhodey getting another chance down the road...
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Incredible Member

If I wasn't trying to get my monthly list down to a reasonable number, I would have been on this.

Or if it had cost even 2.99 digitally, I'd probably have bought it AND Secret Avengers. But as it is, I didn't get either.

It looked good, all the comments here make it sound great, and I'm definitely getting it now if it's collected.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    This was great I wish we could have more. At least we know he's not going into limbo.
    Me too! I was wondering if he would take back up the War Machine armor at the end, since I think that armor was on the variant cover for TRO Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    If I wasn't trying to get my monthly list down to a reasonable number, I would have been on this.

Or if it had cost even 2.99 digitally, I'd probably have bought it AND Secret Avengers. But as it is, I didn't get either.

It looked good, all the comments here make it sound great, and I'm definitely getting it now if it's collected.
    I think a trade was in one of the recent solicits, so you should definitely try and pick it up.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch by Night View Post
    Man, this was a sad issue. Disappointed that it got downgraded to a mini, but there you go. To all the people who complain that the Marvel U isn't diverse enough, how about trying to support a book with a minority lead? You guys let a great book slip away. Here's to Rhodey getting another chance down the road...
    I didn't follow it, but almost picked it up. What turned me off was that the first issue was rated as underwhelming by many and people also heavily criticized the art. Maybe if they had a different creative team on it, it would have succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    Me too! I was wondering if he would take back up the War Machine armor at the end, since I think that armor was on the variant cover for TRO Avengers.
    Its probably something that happens in between the 8 month jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmreyn View Post
    I didn't follow it, but almost picked it up. What turned me off was that the first issue was rated as underwhelming by many and people also heavily criticized the art. Maybe if they had a different creative team on it, it would have succeeded.
    The book was doomed before the first issue even came out due to low preorders from retailers.
    We need better comics

Extraordinary Member

Um. Why haven't Marvel ordered this to full? :L