Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Would be more interesting post entire pages instead of small panels

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Would be more interesting post entire pages instead of small panels
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I asked why people believe that Scott led the war against the Inhumans but I did not receive an answer :<
    LMAO. Nice.

BANNED

Still waiting for something interesting to happen in AoXm.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    A bit of a silly answer on Jordan's part I think... why would readers think something happened if it isn't shown?

I wish AiPT would just replace these questions where the answer is the equivalent of "wait and see". I think it's sometimes silly of readers to ask those spoiler questions, and it's fair enough for Jordan to not reply, but then it's down to AiPT to have one or two back-up questions to ask so that these laconic answers don't make it to the final article.
    Even if folks don’t like it, I think his answer is helpful because it shows the different mindsets that he (and likely writers ) have compared to readers. That knowledge can be helpful even if someone doesn’t like it being that way.

Personally I agree with him. I don’t feel everything needs to be shown to me on panel especially
    If it is consistent with the status quo (the status quo here being jean loving Rachel, so why wouldn’t she miss her and want to find her?)

I get people want to see things on panel. I understand it. I just don’t think it’s realistic sometimes, with SO many characters and so many relationships. Just my opinion.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Even if folks don’t like it, I think his answer is helpful because it shows the different mindsets that he (and likely writers ) have compared to readers. That knowledge can be helpful even if someone doesn’t like it being that way.

Personally I agree with him. I don’t feel everything needs to be shown to me on panel especially
    If it is consistent with the status quo (the status quo here being jean loving Rachel, so why wouldn’t she miss her and want to find her?)

I get people want to see things on panel. I understand it. I just don’t think it’s realistic sometimes, with SO many characters and so many relationships. Just my opinion.
    I strongly disagree. That's not how serial fiction should work - it should embrace those complex relationships and not leave readers to "assume". Can you imagine Game of Thrones season 8 starting with a march against the Night King, leaving all those emotional reunions to the viewers' imagination? "Oh ****, Arya needs to meet this character, and then this other one, and that one too?! Screw it, I'm just going to get to the big battle and viewers will just know the characters have caught up behind the scenes".

I strongly disagree. That's not how serial fiction should work - it should embrace those complex relationships and not leave readers to "assume". Can you imagine Game of Thrones season 8 starting with a march against the Night King, leaving all those emotional reunions to the viewers' imagination? "Oh ****, Arya needs to meet this character, and then this other one, and that one too?! Screw it, I'm just going to get to the big battle and viewers will just know the characters have caught up behind the scenes".
    Well game of thrones has been around for what, a decade? Xmen comics and characters have been around since the 1960s. The xmen have been separated multiple times, it’s nothing new (status quo like I said), whereas GOT Its all new territory.

I just don’t see the comparison.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I hear you, but I respectfully disagree on two points. First, I disagree if something fits the status quo it doesn't need to be shown in that it SHOULD work this way but it doesn't. This medium requires art and text to convey how characters act and feel. Is there an assumption on previous that character x feels this way about character y, sure but that consistency is few and far between these days with a lack of cohesion amongst editors and writers. Example: You say the status quo is Jean "loving" Rachel, which is implied through the art and text in X-Men Red. But in X-Men Gold and Extermination, Jean is conveyed to have apathy towards Rachel through art and text. Which is the status quo then, because different writers gave different statements on that particular relationship? The one that resonates more with how you feel about the character, or the one which depicts the character most recently? So I think there are times where it is crucial to have certain things be referenced to ensure that motives and feelings are conveyed. Otherwise there is no solid consensus amongst readers what is happening (i.e. some readers feel 'of course the X-Men were looking for Rachel because that's what they would do', while others feel more 'because writers and editors keep moving from event to event with no processing it looks and feels like the X-Men are turning a blind eye to Rachel's disappearance and did other less important things before the start of Disassembled').
    And secondly, I agree that the X-men are rich with characters and relationships (it's part of why people enjoy reading them so much) but if we don't provide panel or text time to highlight or reinforce those relationships can we make the same assumptions always?

Agreed, we don't have anything other than the text and artwork to tell us what is happening. That's how this works. You can safely assume that characters do normal human things (like eat, sleep, etc), but having reunions or showing care or concern are moments to be captured. It would be like if they skipped Kitty coming back to be with Illyana when she died of the Legacy Virus, because we assume that she would. Or having Betsy doing some auntie time with her niece at Christmas because of course she would do that.

Well game of thrones has been around for what, a decade? Xmen comics and characters have been around since the 1960s. The xmen have been separated multiple times, it’s nothing new (status quo like I said), whereas GOT Its all new territory.

I just don’t see the comparison.
    GOT was just an example... If you are creating a product of serial fiction, you should make an effort to respect your own continuity and the character relationships regardless of whether they have existed for 10 months or 10 years. You don't need to address every single bit of X-Men history every time, but acknowledging when something major happens and showing the characters' reactions to it I'd say it's pretty important. If the characters themselves are showing apathy when someone dies, comes back to life, loses a limb or gets kidnapped, I don't see how your readers are supposed to be engaged.

how many spoken words do we think are in an episode of game of thrones? Multiply times 4 since 4 episodes a month. Compare that to one comic issue a month- how many words are in that?

Now how many issues would that take to equal one game of thrones episode, which shows all the little things we are talking about that we like to see?

Let’s compare apples to apples- this isn’t close.

how many spoken words do we think are in an episode of game of thrones? Multiply times 4 since 4 episodes a month. Compare that to one comic issue a month- how many words are in that?

Now how many issues would that take to equal one game of thrones episode, which shows all the little things we are talking about that we like to see?

Let’s compare apples to apples- this isn’t close.
    thats not a fair comparison as there are ALOT more oppurtunies for scenes in the Xbooks which come out regularly all year round and GoT is only out a few weeks a year. You say one issue a month but alot of books in recent history have been double shipping or even shipping weekly. Extermination ws 5 months ago. The X-men looking for Rachel could have been addressed in Uncanny, the Holiday Special, Exterminated or X-Force. A simple line or scene would have sufficed

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    thats not a fair comparison as there are ALOT more oppurtunies for scenes in the Xbooks which come out regularly all year round and GoT is only out a few weeks a year. You say one issue a month but alot of books in recent history have been double shipping or even shipping weekly. Extermination ws 5 months ago. The X-men looking for Rachel could have been addressed in Uncanny, the Holiday Special, Exterminated or X-Force. A simple line or scene would have sufficed
    Exactly. You don't need to flesh everything out necessarily, just having a character acknowledge something happened might be sufficient at times. But you can't leave even that tiny acknowledgement to the readers' imagination. Plus I find it laughable that with the quantity of X-books regularly coming out, and the blatant pacing problems most of them have, that the writers and editors don't have time to properly address character relationships... but then can spend 10 pages for a car chase or a fight with a Sentinel.

Honestly the "wait and see" type of answers just feel a mix of lazy and manipulative.

Revealing that a character is going to be more than wallpaper or cannon-fodder isn't a spoiler. At least not any more than Marvel already does with revealing events coming up before they even finish the ones going on.

It would be nice if they realized the reason people actually asked about the characters. And why we all get annoyed when we get told our favorites might appear and they either don't at all or just end up standing in a background or get killed/maimed/character assassinated for the benefit of the usual Wolverines/Jean Greys/writer pet of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Honestly the "wait and see" type of answers just feel a mix of lazy and manipulative.

Revealing that a character is going to be more than wallpaper or cannon-fodder isn't a spoiler. At least not any more than Marvel already does with revealing events coming up before they even finish the ones going on.

It would be nice if they realized the reason people actually asked about the characters. And why we all get annoyed when we get told our favorites might appear and they either don't at all or just end up standing in a background or get killed/maimed/character assassinated for the benefit of the usual Wolverines/Jean Greys/writer pet of the month.
    What jean grey have to do with it?
    she was dead for 14 years and isn't on any favorite list from writers

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    What jean grey have to do with it?
    she was dead for 14 years and isn't on any favorite list from writers
    Just going to ignore the fact that teenage Jean Grey was running around for so long?
    And even if she's not on a favorites list, she still get brought out before others 99% of the time.