Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Retired

Default Which title will reach 1000 next?

If you were going to bet on it, which other DC title, if any, is going to get to its 1000th issue? Is it possible that any will? Even DETECTIVE COMCS and ACTION COMICS didn't arrive at their numbers 1000 without some shenanigans. DC could fudge the numbers for another title. But, if they do that, which one would it be?

Astonishing Member

Edit: I was wrong.
    Last edited by Dred; 04-15-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If you were going to bet on it, which other DC title, if any, is going to get to its 1000th issue? Is it possible that any will? Even DETECTIVE COMCS and ACTION COMICS didn't arrive at their numbers 1000 without some shenanigans. DC could fudge the numbers for another title. But, if they do that, which one would it be?
    For a DC title, the Batman book seems to be the obvious case. I'd imagine Wonder Woman following closely with Superman going monthly as opposed to semi-monthly, he drops off. I'm sure someone is going to add up Flash comic runs to find that number so I won't bother with that.

Mighty Member

Where are we on legacy numbering with everyone? Here's my quick internet research:

Flash had 350 (including the Jay Garrick series), 247 (Wally), 13 (Bart), 52, and 60+ now, so they're around 720.

Wonder Woman had 614 (let's assume the count to 600 was correct), 52, and 60+, so they're just ahead of Flash.

Batman had 713, 52, and 60+, so they're past 830.

Superman was at 714 before the new 52, so they were right next to Batman (but just dropped down to once monthly shipping, unlike the other three books).

So the answer is Batman will be next, probably around 2026 (or later if they go back to monthly shipping), with Superman not too far behind. Flash and Wonder Woman will be awhile later. Interestingly enough, if Marvel wants to include all the .HU and other side numberings for ASM, Batman and Spidey could hit 1000 within months of each other.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member

Nevermind, apparently my sources were super incorrect.
    Last edited by Dred; 04-15-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Here's what the legacy numbering would look like currently for Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman:

Batman #1-713
    Batman (vol. 2) #1-52
    Batman (vol. 3) #1-105
    = #870

Superman #1-423
    Adventures Of Superman #424-649
    Superman #650-714
    Superman (vol. 3) #1-52
    Superman (vol. 4) #1-45
    Superman (vol. 5) #1-12
    = #823

(Superman Vol. 2 was a separate book released at the same time as Adventures Of Superman so I wouldn't count it numbering wise)

Wonder Woman #1-329
    Wonder Woman (vol. 2) #1-226
    Wonder Woman (vol. 3) #1-44
    Wonder Woman #600-614
    Wonder Woman (vol. 4) #1-52
    Wonder Woman (vol. 5) #1-71
    = #737

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    WW vol 2 had 227 issues and volume 3 had 44 before the new 52. 614+227+44+52~+68 is 1003 but there's other slightly different named stuff that'd still be the regular release (Villain's month, #0, etc)
    The Wonder Woman 600-series included both volume 1 and volume 2. I checked dc.fandom.com, and Wonder Woman is up to 739. Not sure how annuals, anniversary issues, and so on are counted, but I doubt they'd add much more than a dozen or so.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    None of them. I don't think they want to revert the numbering back or whatever. AC and Tec were unique for keeping their numbering so long.
    I maen, I definitely think when the key titles get around #1000, they'll highlight it. Flash is at 677, Wonder Woman is at 734, Batman is at 854, Superman is at 821. I imagine those are the only ones that will be getting the issue 1000 treatment as those are the easiest. They more or less went from Volume to Volume to Volume. The only really confusing one being Superman which bounced from Superman to Adventures of Superman back to Superman. Wonder Woman also reverted back to her original numbering for 700 and continued that until the New 52.

The other big ones have some question marks. With Green Lantern, you're looking looking at Green Lantern Vol. 1. DC did not continue the numbering like they did with Barry Allen's Flash, so do you include it, especially since the respective mythos are entirely different. Do you count Green Lanterns or Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. If you coun't those, do you count any of the Green Lantern Corps books. You're still about 100 less than Flash if you do.

Justice League is the other one. Do you count just titles that are Justice League or Justice League of America? If so, there have been a couple ancillary Justice League of America titles while main Justice League titles have been released, but the original title of the book was Justice League of America. Do you count JLA? Or Justice League International and the respective Justice League Europe, Antarctica? And if not, what do we do with the 8 issues before it became Justice League International when it was called Justice League?

One of my least favorite things that Marvel does is fudging the numbers for the sake of their Legacy numbering. There seems to be no hard fast rules as to what they count and what they don't. I'd rather DC not follow suit there.

The one rule Marvel pretty much always holds to is only one book at a time counts. their latest Avengers mini is an exception. Superman, Batman, Flash, and Wonder Woman have all had the name character title and double counting minis shouldn't be part of that. the idea is to celebrate a series, not a character in a book. If we celebrate the character numbering, then why not bring Action and Detective into Superman and Batman?

And DC does some numbering shenanigans as well.

Retired

I'm a little surprised that DC didn't try to renumber FLASH and WONDER WOMAN, so they could reach 1000 when they get to their respective 80th anniversaries--the Flash in November of this year and Wonder Woman in October of 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm a little surprised that DC didn't try to renumber FLASH and WONDER WOMAN, so they could reach 1000 when they get to their respective 80th anniversaries--the Flash in November of this year and Wonder Woman in October of 2021.
    Flash and Wonder Woman are still more than a decade away from 1000 even at a semi-monthly pace.

Yeah Flash just had a special #700 legacy variant for #39 of the current (Rebirth) volume, it's not getting to #1000 in November.

Retired

Creative accounting can always get you the number you want.

I foresee DC doing their own line wide Legacy push at some point, and I'm hopeful they'll stick with it longer than Marvel did -- at least for the books mentioned already in this thread, the ones that have all pumped out 700+ issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Here's what the legacy numbering would look like currently for Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman:

Batman #1-713
    Batman (vol. 2) #1-52
    Batman (vol. 3) #1-105
    = #870
    And even at 2 issues per a month, 5 years = 120 issues, so you'd only be up to #990 by then.