Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And even at 2 issues per a month, 5 years = 120 issues, so you'd only be up to #990 by then.
    And we're still a year and a half away from Batman v3 getting to issue 105.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    . . . And DC does some numbering shenanigans as well.

By the way, issue number counts back in the old (last century) days was based on factors other than trying to get to certain issue numbers for anniversaries. There were legal reasons, such as those required for the "Statement of Ownership" that companies had to file (I believe) yearly.
    Some of it had to do with permits for mailing magazines through the U.S. Mail.

When DC revived All-Star Comics back in the 1970s, they resumed the numbering of that title from where the JSA feature had left off in the early 1950s.

I've always said any book with Golden Age origins should get legacy numbering. And I'd include the Golden Age Green Lantern numbering. But would I count Green Lanterns and The Green Lantern? Probably not, but I bet I'd be in the minority.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I've always said any book with Golden Age origins should get legacy numbering. And I'd include the Golden Age Green Lantern numbering. But would I count Green Lanterns and The Green Lantern? Probably not, but I bet I'd be in the minority.
    Agree about Lanterns, disagree about The Green Lantern. I take a "spiritual successor" line of thought on this - there is a through line of titles that succeed from one to the next, and side-books or ancillary titles are ignored. Since the Kyle Rayner series, you have Rebirth*, then the Johns' series, then the New 52 series, then Hal Jordan and the GL Corps, then The Green Lantern.

*I can go either way on including Rebirth in the numbering

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, issue number counts back in the old (last century) days was based on factors other than trying to get to certain issue numbers for anniversaries. There were legal reasons, such as those required for the "Statement of Ownership" that companies had to file (I believe) yearly.
    Some of it had to do with permits for mailing magazines through the U.S. Mail.

When DC revived All-Star Comics back in the 1970s, they resumed the numbering of that title from where the JSA feature had left off in the early 1950s.
    Sometimes the trick of switching to a new title but keeping the numbering for the maling permits didn't work and DC had to re-number as with STAR-SPANGLED and ALL-AMERICAN.

With ALL-STAR, after it had been cancelled in 1961, they brought it back with a new number 1 in 1970, as ALL-STAR WESTERN, but that title became WEIRD WESTERN TALES with number 12. And that title was still going strong when the new ALL-STAR COMICS came out on the stands at 58.

If DC wants to honour its entire past, they should think about bringing back ADVENTURE COMICS. That title wouldn't be able to get to 1000 in the near future (except by crooked reasoning); however, it could possibly get there by the 100th anniversary in 2035.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Agree about Lanterns, disagree about The Green Lantern. I take a "spiritual successor" line of thought on this - there is a through line of titles that succeed from one to the next, and side-books or ancillary titles are ignored. Since the Kyle Rayner series, you have Rebirth*, then the Johns' series, then the New 52 series, then Hal Jordan and the GL Corps, then The Green Lantern.

Exactly this. My example of this is always Flash: The Fastest Man Alive. Brand new title, brand new lead, but it was the Flash book at the time.

The Green Lantern certainly counts. Green Lanterns would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . . . If DC wants to honour its entire past, they should think about bringing back ADVENTURE COMICS. That title wouldn't be able to get to 1000 in the near future (except by crooked reasoning); however, it could possibly get there by the 100th anniversary in 2035.
    For the record, when they revived that title back in 2009, they used a dual/"legacy" numbering on the cover.

That lasted for twelve issues, after which they just went with the "legacy" number on the cover. The final issue of that run was #529 in 2011 (just as DC switched to the New52 after Flashpoint.)

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I lean against counting the Golden Age Green Lantern in legacy numbering as hal's first solo was numbered one. Barry's book was 105 continuing Jay's numbering. Yeah, it's all opinion, but that's my reasoning.

The two that get some interest from me are Justice League and Legion.

JL has a slew of titles with and without America and/or of. Sometimes including international. With times when Europe ran alongside another title, I wouldn't count Europe. But it's messy and I'm hoping someone else does the legwork on this.

Legion is simpler, I think. Well, not really. The book starts off with Superboy numbering. A second series ("hardcover" - Baxter paper) is started and those stories are reprinted in the newsprint edition a year later. I'd say don't double count the reprinted stories.

# # ser description
    325 Initial Run
    354 29 v3 reprints
    388 34 v3 new stories
    513 125 v4
    525 12 Legion Lost
    531 6 Legion Worlds
    569 38 Legion
    619 50 v5
    635 16 v6
    658 23 v7 nu52

So I'd have Legion at 658. Still a ways from 1000. But then, we're still waiting for their next issue, aren't we?
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 04-15-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Mighty Member

I think JLA would go
    Justice League of America v1 (261), Justice League Internationa/America (113), JLA (125), Justice League of America (60), Justice League New 52(50) Justice League Rebirth (43), Justice League current (21) = 673. It'll be awhile for them - they'll probably be on volume 14 by the time they hit 1000 issues

Won't these semi-monthly runs mess up the progression towards the canonical 1,000,000 issues already set up?

(yes, I'm joking. It's seriously roll on the floor laugh your butt off funny)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Won't these semi-monthly runs mess up the progression towards the canonical 1,000,000 issues already set up?

(yes, I'm joking. It's seriously roll on the floor laugh your butt off funny)
    We need a 'like' button just for this post.

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Exactly this. My example of this is always Flash: The Fastest Man Alive. Brand new title, brand new lead, but it was the Flash book at the time.

The Green Lantern certainly counts. Green Lanterns would not.
    Yep, exactly. I'd argue that even more than Marvel, DC is built on multiple mythos-concepts-franchises which each contain multiple main characters, instead of being built around a set group of characters.

As such, I'd count the various relaunches of a main GL title, for example, as a series of books that are the spiritual torch bearers of the concept of a green clad superhero with a ring that allows him/her to make anything he/she wishes.

Two weeks ago I added up the various series of each main DC book and came up with these legacy numberings -

As of May 2019 (cover date), the top 100 longest running DC titles are...

Action Comics at 1009
    Detective Comics at 1001
    Batman 832
    Superman 830
    Justice League 746
    Wonder Woman 733
    Flash 728
    Green Lantern 617
    Adventure Comics 529
    Superboy 504
    World's Finest 455
    Sgt. Rock 444 (wow!!)
    Teen Titans 430
    House of Mystery 378
    All-Star 369 (Squadron, Western, etc)
    Green Arrow 365
    Hellblazer 347
    Legion of Super-Heroes 334
    Swamp Thing 313
    The Unknown Soldier 309
    Aquaman 297
    Robin 296 (including the B&R series)
    G. I. Combat 296
    Blackhawks 293
    Doom Patrol 287
    Nightwing 272
    Strange Adventures 269 (including Time Warp)
    Captain Ma- er, Shazam 258
    Supergirl 256
    The Brave and the Bold 254
    Catwoman 246
    All-American 246
    Legends of the Dark Knight 230
    Tales of the Unexpected 222
    Hawkman 214 (plus Hawkworld)
    StormWatch 200 (plus The Authority)
    Birds of Prey 199
    Jonah Hex 193
    Batgirl 191
    House of Secrets 181
    Jimmy Olsen 178
    Showcase 174
    Suicide Squad 169
    Captain Atom 169
    Girls' Love Stories 180
    Warlord 165
    Outsiders 165
    JSA 164
    Firestorm 160
    Girls' Romance 160
    Whiz Comics 155
    Secret Hearts 153
    Gen 13 147
    Heart Throbs 146
    Falling in Love 143
    Batman Adventures 143
    Tomahawk 140
    Lois Lane 139
    Fox and Crow 138
    Sensation Comics 134
    Master Comics 133
    Harley Quinn 130
    The New (Teen) Titans 130
    Challengers of the Unknown 129
    Green Lantern Corps 127
    Police Comics 127
    More Fun 127
    Young Love 126
    Mystery in Space 125
    Animal Man 125
    Feature Comics 124
    Azrael 122
    L.E.G.I.O.N. 121
    Fox and Crow/Stanley and His Monster 116
    Plastic Man 114
    Ghosts 112
    Western Hero 112
    DC Comics Presents 109
    Lobo 107
    Mutt and Jeff 103
    Military Comics 102
    Sugar and Spike 99
    The Atom 98
    Shade the Changing Man/Woman/Girl 96
    Lucifer 95
    Shadow of the Bat 94
    New Gods 92
    Dodo and the Frog 92
    Crack Comics 92
    Impulse 90
    Marvel Family 89
    Witching Hour 88
    Sandman (Dream) 86
    Smash Comics 85
    Funny Animals 83
    Binky 82
    Wildcats 82
    Legionnaires 81
    Starman 81
    Kamandi 78

Did I miss any big ones?

It's not science - a lot of it depends upon your own opinion as to what should or should not be included as part of a legacy of titles, but it's fun to think about.
    Last edited by DetectiveStrange; 04-17-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Retired

Good job on the totals DetectiveStrange, but I think you meant 363 for HOUSE OF MYSTERY--and actually I count more than that if you include everything.

321--HOUSE OF MYSTERY (original)
    11--ELVIRA'S HOUSE OF MYSTERY
    1--ELVIRA'S HOUSE OF MYSTERY SPECIAL
    42--HOUSE OF MYSTERY (Vertigo)
    2--HOUSE OF MYSTERY HALLOWEEN ANNUAL
    1--WELCOME BACK TO THE HOUSE OF MYSTERY

Which comes to 378 if my arithmetic is correct.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Flash Vol 1 #1 - 104
    Flash Vol 2 #105 - 350
    Flash Vol 3 #1 - 247 + #0 and #1000000
    Flash Vol 4 #1 - 12
    Flash FMA #1 - 13
    Flash Vol 5 #1 - 52
    Flash Vol 6 #1 - 68 (current)

Not including Annuals you're up to 744 issues. (I'm missing #105 and #112 to complete my collection)
    That leaves 256 issues to reach #1000 - another 10.6 years if it continues to ship twice a month!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Flash Vol 1 #1 - 104
    Flash Vol 2 #105 - 350
    Flash Vol 3 #1 - 247 + #0 and #1000000
    Flash Vol 4 #1 - 12
    Flash FMA #1 - 13
    Flash Vol 5 #1 - 52
    Flash Vol 6 #1 - 68 (current)

Not including Annuals you're up to 744 issues. (I'm missing #105 and #112 to complete my collection)
    That leaves 256 issues to reach #1000 - another 10.6 years if it continues to ship twice a month!
    Marvel has combined more legacy numbers than DC, but I don't recall annuals, zero issues or 1,000,000s as being counted. Flash is my choice for a fourth legacy renumbering from the Golden Age start (after the Trinity's self titles books). The exhaustive list done by Detective Strange gives a great idea of where many books are.