Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Coming

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Second Coming

Just wondered...what are people’s thoughts on this event? I always see mixed reviews when it comes to it.

I liked it. The style of persecution keeps the tension interesting at first and for me the battle of San Francisco against the Nimrod is one of the great moments of the mutants.

I disliked it. Never reread since.

I remember thinking too many different writers made the story very inconsistent quality-wise.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Enjoyed it when it was first published, not terribly interested in seeing how it holds up. There aren't many X-Men stories that age well.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Messiah Complex -> Messiah War -> Second Coming

Needs an omnibus. Great trilogy.

It flowed very well and is probably the only X-event since its time to actually hold that cinematic feel while having a story with some weight. It was a great farewell to the grim era of Decimation. Plus, it was the last event where the New X-Men felt like a part of something important.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Messiah Complex -> Messiah War -> Second Coming

Needs an omnibus. Great trilogy.
    This is how Second Coming works! As a trilogy it'd be great. Alone, I don't know...I wouldn't read it that way, or I would maybe now, but that's only after reading it in continuity and as a trilogy, as much as I don't want to suggest stand alone epics without their ongoings - this would make a good trilogy.
    Last edited by sungila; 04-16-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

The last gr8 X-event. Not as good as Messiah Complex in making every book that was part of it matter though.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    The last gr8 X-event. Not as good as Messiah Complex in making every book that was part of it matter though.
    I just finished re-reading my trade copy of Messiah Complex. While most of the stories intertwined well, the Jamie in the future story seemed to exist solely for the purpose of torturing Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I just finished re-reading my trade copy of Messiah Complex. While most of the stories intertwined well, the Jamie in the future story seemed to exist solely for the purpose of torturing Jamie.
    Well it did basically set up all the subsequent storylines in PAD's X-Factor! But I agree that it feels less important in the event itself

It was really quite a great event. I thought it was a little better than Messiah complex. It was very well done. Some of the art is AMAZING, some of it is just ok.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    This is where I'm at. It's the last great cross-over/big event story with the X-Men IMO.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

It was fine. Second act dragged big time and the whole "X-Force must do everything" thingy was starting to wear real efffin' thin at that point, but other subsequent crossovers have been laughably worse. 7,5-ish out of 10.

BANNED

8 out of 10, pretty good stuff and I'm happy to have it among the few TPBs my thin wallet allows me. I'm with Fluffy on the whole "X-Force are the only ones doing the real work" but it works really well. If it was better, we'd probably never have AvX, since the whole "end of M-Day" thing could just end from the appearance of the five lights, though. So, that's a criticism I'll always have. But it's a damn good read, particularly if you can control the urge of barfing on the Greg Land pages!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

It was a solid event, but one that looks so much better now, considering how every other one that came afterwards was so much worse.