Thread: Second Coming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Second Coming

Just wondered...what are people’s thoughts on this event? I always see mixed reviews when it comes to it.

I liked it. The style of persecution keeps the tension interesting at first and for me the battle of San Francisco against the Nimrod is one of the great moments of the mutants.

I disliked it. Never reread since.

I remember thinking too many different writers made the story very inconsistent quality-wise.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Enjoyed it when it was first published, not terribly interested in seeing how it holds up. There aren't many X-Men stories that age well.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Messiah Complex -> Messiah War -> Second Coming

Needs an omnibus. Great trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Messiah Complex -> Messiah War -> Second Coming

Needs an omnibus. Great trilogy.
    This is how Second Coming works! As a trilogy it'd be great. Alone, I don't know...I wouldn't read it that way, or I would maybe now, but that's only after reading it in continuity and as a trilogy, as much as I don't want to suggest stand alone epics without their ongoings - this would make a good trilogy.
    Last edited by sungila; 04-16-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

It flowed very well and is probably the only X-event since its time to actually hold that cinematic feel while having a story with some weight. It was a great farewell to the grim era of Decimation. Plus, it was the last event where the New X-Men felt like a part of something important.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Just wondered...what are people’s thoughts on this event? I always see mixed reviews when it comes to it.
    I like it a lot. It may have been frustrating to read issue by issue when it was happening (like all x-books seem to be for almost everyone given the vast history/ries of everything) but reading across it with all the movement and stakes and Cyclops having to handle all the decisions that keep coming is pretty intense. A lot of C's actions later are not so hard to understand with that story as a backdrop. & then it sets up Remender's x-force run, which is pretty great itself for at least the first 18 issues or so.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

A truly excellent crossover with some real payoff to years worth of subplots. Some great writing from Fraction (IMHO his best on Uncanny), Carey, Kyle & Yost (always great but really particularly good here) and the very underrated Zeb Wells on New Mutants. Beautiful art all around and perfect ending.

Amazing read. The story felt really cinematic with some amazing art. It was cohesive and consistent; although some characterization and tone was slightly off due to some writers, but not too major. Every character had a pivotal role and it was the last time the New Mutants and the kids actually played an important part to the overall story.

I went through every emotion reading this and I don't think an X-Men crossover has held up to it since.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

****, it's sad to realize that we've been 9 years without a good mutant event.

It was the last good X-men crossover.