Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second Coming

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Just wondered...what are people’s thoughts on this event? I always see mixed reviews when it comes to it.
    I like it a lot. It may have been frustrating to read issue by issue when it was happening (like all x-books seem to be for almost everyone given the vast history/ries of everything) but reading across it with all the movement and stakes and Cyclops having to handle all the decisions that keep coming is pretty intense. A lot of C's actions later are not so hard to understand with that story as a backdrop. & then it sets up Remender's x-force run, which is pretty great itself for at least the first 18 issues or so.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

A truly excellent crossover with some real payoff to years worth of subplots. Some great writing from Fraction (IMHO his best on Uncanny), Carey, Kyle & Yost (always great but really particularly good here) and the very underrated Zeb Wells on New Mutants. Beautiful art all around and perfect ending.

Amazing read. The story felt really cinematic with some amazing art. It was cohesive and consistent; although some characterization and tone was slightly off due to some writers, but not too major. Every character had a pivotal role and it was the last time the New Mutants and the kids actually played an important part to the overall story.

I went through every emotion reading this and I don't think an X-Men crossover has held up to it since.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

****, it's sad to realize that we've been 9 years without a good mutant event.

It was the last good X-men crossover.

A really strong crossover and a good climax to the Messiah storyline. Not a huge fan of Hope, but I did enjoy the series and the way it used the titles and characters in fun ways. I did a little video review here that I wanted to share.

My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

The only point that bothers me about Second Coming is that everything before Kurt's death just happens because the writers didn't wanna Hope and Cable reunited with the X-men. And they don't have a good reason for that.

Oh, and Dani fighting Hope is pretty stupid.

I enjoy the rest of the event. And the art is very consistent (no Humberto Ramos here thank god).

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    The only point that bothers me about Second Coming is that everything before Kurt's death just happens because the writers didn't wanna Hope and Cable reunited with the X-men. And they don't have a good reason for that.

Oh, and Dani fighting Hope is pretty stupid.

I enjoy the rest of the event. And the art is very consistent (no Humberto Ramos here thank god).
    Very true about your first point. I will say that I enjoyed the Dani/Hope fight. It felt real and while, yes, over the top it did ring true to both of them. I especially like the scene between Dani, Logan when they talk about Cypher's weakness being bullets. So harsh and that interaction was brilliantly heartbreaking.

I do like Ramos, but it's very jarring compared to the other art in CompleX.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

It was a mediocre and tedious punch up, with annoying chosen one narrative; but sadly Messiah Complex to Second Coming are still the best events I've ever read.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

the crossover was awesome but the ending was a bit unsatisfactory bc I was hoping the questions to Hope would be addressed and we'd get a complete reversal of MDay

I am in the middle of re-reading the whole X-run and recently finished this event. I will say that I feel it's very under-rated and felt a bit like a return to the pressing desperation of the 80's. I know some folks hate the "San Francisco" era but I found it to be a bit of a breath of fresh air and at least they were trying something new and different. I might not have loved the Fear Itself or Necrosha side stories that happened around the same time, but I felt this trio of events made up for what could have been a disaster period for the books.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I am in the middle of re-reading the whole X-run and recently finished this event. I will say that I feel it's very under-rated and felt a bit like a return to the pressing desperation of the 80's. I know some folks hate the "San Francisco" era but I found it to be a bit of a breath of fresh air and at least they were trying something new and different. I might not have loved the Fear Itself or Necrosha side stories that happened around the same time, but I felt this trio of events made up for what could have been a disaster period for the books.
    At first I didn't like the move to San Fran. But then it actually just worked and helped that they were on the West Coast for a bit. Unfortunately they just kind of made a mess out there and just left it abandoned. That is a shame. I enjoyed for the most part the whole of it.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I personally love this event. I’ve always thought it was “Act 2” of mass X-Events that would end with mutants being back (it was in a way, but AvX ruined the X-Men).
    Very cinematic and the whole “fight or die” aspect was superb. You genuinely felt on edge not knowing who could make it out.

In my head there was a similar event that follow, involving Hope and the Phoenix. At the end she would probably die, serving Her purpose and bringing mutants back. Unfortunately, Avengers vs X-Men was that event and it just fell flat.

Also for me, this was Cyclops at his most interesting. A truly captivating leader.

Loved it. The stakes, the revelations, and all the sacrifices made to make mutants last just a little longer.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.