Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I always suggest Star Wars: Dark Times to anyone who asks for recomendations. It follows the story of a Jedi named Dass Jennir who survives Order 66 and how he has to adapt to life on the run and living in the now Empire controlled galaxy. His story starts in Star Wars: Republic 79-80 and then goes into Dark Times witch ran for 33 issues.

Another one I always talk about is Star Wars: Purge which takes place right after the end of Episode 3. In it Vader is tasked with hunting down any Jedi that survived Order 66. It is made up of a number of one shots including Purge, Purge: The Hidden Blade, Purge: The Tyrant's Fist, and Purge: Seconds to Die. They are all collected in one trade I believe and really show just how much of a unstopable monster Vader was in his prime.

Dark Times has some of the most disturbing Star Wars comic scenes in it.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think Marvel's Star Wars (current one) and original Darth Vader series are the best starting points. All you need to know are the movies and you've got some really good stuff. The main Star Wars series is pretty uneven later on, but the Vader stuff was top of the line. The first several Star Wars trades worth of issues do weave in and out from the Vader stuff, but you can only follow the Vader ones and it'll all make sense, if you want. If you liked Vader's side character, Doctor Aphra, then her solo series comes highly recommended; it's pretty self-contained and with a character's who's fate isn't set in stone, there's a lot of narrative freedom there.

(Not so familiar with Legends comics, but I do love Knight Errant -- why hasn't the Epic Collection for that dropped yet? -- and Star Wars Tales was great as a short story anthology -- although it was a hodgepodge mix of clearly non-canon and Legends canon stuff and there is a lot of stuff that depends on knowing everything about Legends, but still, very enjoyable and a low commitment way to test the waters.)
    Last edited by WebLurker; 05-14-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

As much as I liked Gilleon on Vader, as you mentioned his work on the regular title (Around #35 or so) has been a bit uneven, and for some reason Larocca decided to pretty much go overboard with using photo references from the films, especially the Jedha storyline.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

My top 2

1. Gillen's Darth Vader Series gets my vote as the best Star Wars Comic. You can read Issue #1 online if you do a search for it. It takes place after the first Death Star is destroyed and the Emperor isn't real pleased. Since everybody on the station pretty much died, he lets it out on Vader. Vader wants to find the pilot responsible for its destruction. He goes to Tatoonine, massacres everybody in Jaba's Palace, has a chat with Boba Fett, and kills a tribe of Sand People for casual fun.

That is literally just issue #1

2. I also really enjoyed this Legacy Series. If a Vader Movie was made, it should be done like this comic. It tells the story of Vader from a third party

Crimson Empire started off alright because it had a good antagonist, but it went down hill after that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    As much as I liked Gilleon on Vader, as you mentioned his work on the regular title (Around #35 or so) has been a bit uneven, and for some reason Larocca decided to pretty much go overboard with using photo references from the films, especially the Jedha storyline.
    Not sure if I read Gilleon's regular title stuff, not that I think about it; kinda dropped off after the "Out Among the Stars" stuff and never got back on; would kinda like to, but since I'll probably just upgrade and only collect the hardcover volumes now, it might be awhile before I get to the newer stuff. Agree that Larocca's art took an awful downhill turn after he started leaving the photo references in place. It's really ugly and does not mesh with the comic-only character designs. Shame, since I think his work on Vader was some of the best in the franchise (I also really liked Kev Walker on the early Aphra issues, but I think he was going for a more "animated" style, so I like it for different reasons).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Larocca's current X-men work seems to be his usual standard thankfully.

Even without the photo references directly using recognizable stills from the films, it also looked like he modeled his Queen Trios on Katy Perry.

I'm going to be getting into the Marvel Star Wars (the current one) as I read a few of the first trades and it was fantastic. I originally picked it up because of the four Obi-Wan centered issues, have there been any other issues in the back half of this run that have dealt with Obi Wan's time in exile?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

There's a Yoda arc that is also told from Obi-Wan's diary in issues 26-30 (It's the sixth TPB I think).