Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Star Wars Comics Recommendations?

I am wondering if anyone can point out some good Star Wars comics? I have read Star Wars Empire and loved it. Now I am looking for more. Thanks for any help.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

There's many, many comics between Marvel and Dark Horse.

For the most part though, if you're a stickler for continuity or canon, the first Marvel and Dark Horse stuff is now considered non-canon. Pretty much everything from 2014-onward is.

Dark Horse wise, there was a lot of strong work towards the end of their license-Legacy, Knights of The Old Republic in particular. Legacy, like the current films, deals with a revived Empire (although one split into two factions) and a new Skywalker facing off against them, although this guy's not quite Luke. Knights of the Old Republic is pretty much a prequel of sorts to the game series and it's a lot of fun.

Going further back there's John Ostrander and Jan Duuresama's work on Star Wars: Republic, where they told the story of Quinlan Vos and other Clone Wars adventures.

In the 90's they also came out with notable comics. Dark Empire deals with the main heroes, with Luke going to the dark side to overthrow a cloned Emperor. Tales of the Jedi deals with the ancient battles between the Jedi and the Sith, and also some backstory for Expanded Universe novels published at the time (The Jedi Academy trilogy). X-wing Rogue Squadron's a fun title that ran for a while, and also works as backstory to a novel series.

The current Marvel ongoing is occasionally a mixed bag, but both Darth Vader comics have been pretty strong (and even have still-ongoing spin-off, the Doctor Aphra series).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Is there any part of the SW universe you particularly like? Favorite characters or organizations? And do you read digitally or in trade? I could recommend a number of books, but it'd probably be more helpful if you give some guidance.

No matter what you say, I'll probably recommend Legacy (the story was de-canonized, but it's about Luke's wayward great grand son, working as a pirate in a galaxy on the brink (again)) - it's got Sith vs Jedi, space battles, and some fantastic art. The first two thirds of the story are available in Epic Collection format already, and it'd be weird if the last third isn't collected somewhat soon
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Thanks for the help I will check out Legacy and Knights of the old Republic stuff. Is Crimson Empire any good?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Crimson Empire is excellent. Crimson Empire II is pretty good but a little weird. Crimson Empire III was something of a let down. Probably worth pointing out that CE follows up on a major plot point from Dark Empire (DE) so if you're entirely unfamiliar with that story, at least read a couple paragraph synopsis of DE.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Crimson Empire's basically a sort of spin-off of Dark Empire, it focuses on what happened to the Emperor's royal guard, as well as how they were trained/selected in the first place.

The sequel sort of drops a good chunk of that concept, and is perhaps most memorable for introducing the Yuzzhan Vong to the Expanded Universe.

The main SW characters generally show up more in Crimson Empire III.

The artwork by Paul Gulacy is....okayish. His style IMO doesn't really fit Star Wars.

Not trying to hijack a thread, but any recommendations on any the Vader books? I've seen more than one
    Last edited by Vitamin J; 05-10-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Dark Horse released a few mini-series towards the end of their license. "Ghost Prison" is generally considered the best.

Marvel-wise, the first series takes place between ANH and ESB, and deals with Vader rebuilding his reputation, finding out about Luke, and getting command of the Executor after his humilation. It has a still-running spin-off, Doctor Aphra.

The second series takes place between ROTS and the Rebels series, and details Vader hunting Jedi, building his red lightsaber, his relationship with the Emperor, Tarkin, inquisitors etc. It also reveals the origins of Vader's castle. While more of an 'action' book than the former, it's still pretty good.

I haven't read the current series, which I think is a re-worked version of a third series cancelled due to problems with one of the writers.

There were some pretty good Vader-related short stories in Dark Horses's Star Wars tales anthology series as well, such as his confrontation with the dark lady, and him recognizing 3PO in ESB.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Dark Horse released a few mini-series towards the end of their license. "Ghost Prison" is generally considered the best.

Marvel-wise, the first series takes place between ANH and ESB, and deals with Vader rebuilding his reputation, finding out about Luke, and getting command of the Executor after his humilation. It has a still-running spin-off, Doctor Aphra.

The second series takes place between ROTS and the Rebels series, and details Vader hunting Jedi, building his red lightsaber, his relationship with the Emperor, Tarkin, inquisitors etc. It also reveals the origins of Vader's castle. While more of an 'action' book than the former, it's still pretty good.

I haven't read the current series, which I think is a re-worked version of a third series cancelled due to problems with one of the writers.

There were some pretty good Vader-related short stories in Dark Horses's Star Wars tales anthology series as well, such as his confrontation with the dark lady, and him recognizing 3PO in ESB.
    I'll check out Ghost Prison, thanks

What is the name of that second series you mentioned? That sounds interesting

It's generally called "Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith" but it's not something that shows up on the covers.

Here's the wiki on it: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sta...rd_of_the_Sith

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I would definitely recommend the last two DV series. The first one you can get in an Omnibus format.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Gotta ask...what is an Omnibus?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    A big collection of smaller books. I've learned though, that when its capitalized, it refers to a special line of spendy, extra large hardcovers called "Marvel Omnibus" that collect huge chunks of a run. (Was on another thread and annoyed some people calling the paperback "Complete Collections" and "Epic Collections" omnibuses since they weren't "Marvel Omnibus" volumes, despite me being correct according to the dictionary.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Dark Horse also did omnibus's, although I'm pretty sure Marvel has done their own versions (including of Dark Horse's material, which they now "own" I guess).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    Omnibus' can be pricey because they usually collect about 25 issues while the tpbs are much cheaper but only collect 5 or 6 issues. I don't like the tpbs because they're flimsy and are easily damaged.

Plus the omnis look really nice on a shelf.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor