Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Freedom Fighter's All Star Superman homage

I thought this was kind of amusing. Overman has appeared in the FF book and they do an origin recap in the form of a twisted retelling of Morrison's All Star origin.

https://www.cbr.com/freedom-fighters...perman-homage/

Since Morrison created Overman in the Mutliversity series, I guess the creators thought this would be a good "homage" to him.
    Assassinate Putin!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Does this take place in the same world shown in Multiversity? I thought it all came to a resolution there?

Visually it doesn't look like it. And the one in Multiversity seemed somewhat repentant of his Nazi past. This one seems to be a full on true believer. At least based on the cover.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Visually it doesn't look like it. And the one in Multiversity seemed somewhat repentant of his Nazi past. This one seems to be a full on true believer. At least based on the cover.
    I'm pretty sure this series takes place in the Multiversity universe, and there's a big twist in the latest issue re: Overman (and his repentance vs being a "true believer"). Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Does this take place in the same world shown in Multiversity? I thought it all came to a resolution there?
    Yes it does. It takes place chronologically after Morrison’s issue I believe. I really enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Spoilers for a reveal last issue:
    spoilers:
    It’s Heinrich Himmler, the Cyborg-Overman created by the Reich to compensate for the real Overman abandoning the Earth. The repentant Overman still very much exists
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yes it does. It takes place chronologically after Morrison’s issue I believe. I really enjoy it.

spoilers:
    It’s Heinrich Himmler, the Cyborg-Overman created by the Reich to compensate for the real Overman abandoning the Earth. The repentant Overman still very much exists
    end of spoilers
    That makes a lot more sense! Thank you!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Close, although it isn't the spoilers:
    real-world Heinrich Himmler, but rather this world's Cyborg Superman -- Heinrich Henshaw.
    end of spoilers
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

I thought that All-Star riff was one of the best single pages I've seen out of DC in ages. It perfectly heightens the nightmarish concept of nazi Superman by paralleling what is probably the most popular Superman story of the modern era. Great piece of art.

And the twist at the end of the issue was great. Seriously, this book is one of DC's best right now, and probably the best comic I've personally read from Venditti.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It was a elegant and perfect way to resume the essential difference of this world with the main earth.
    Also, I'm glad than this confirms than this mini is set in the earth-x/earth 10 seen in The Multiversity. The early interviews had made believe than Venditti was written about yet another new iteration of earth-x, but the way he kept the story from Mastermen and expanded from that point is something to be gratefull for. Specially in these times were continuity is so despised.

Edit:Oh,and a second thought:
    spoilers:
    I wonder, if there is Cyborg Overman in this world, there are a more perfect yet young clone, Overboy? An armoured yet rebel Mann aus Stahl An alien inhuman Eradicator? Probably not, but it is fun to speculate
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 05-31-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I thought that All-Star riff was one of the best single pages I've seen out of DC in ages. It perfectly heightens the nightmarish concept of nazi Superman by paralleling what is probably the most popular Superman story of the modern era. Great piece of art.

And the twist at the end of the issue was great. Seriously, this book is one of DC's best right now, and probably the best comic I've personally read from Venditti.

It's a shame Freedom Fighters doesn't have a larger following. It's a good book, both in terms of the writing and artwork.

Agreed on it being the best comic by Venditti.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    It's a shame Freedom Fighters doesn't have a larger following. It's a good book, both in terms of the writing and artwork.

Agreed on it being the best comic by Venditti.
    It is a shame, but I suspect this is all for the trade market anyway. If I were a betting man I'd say DC isn't overly concerned about the monthly sales (as long as it breaks even anyway) but are (or were, before the shakeups began) hoping to see it do well in collected format.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Overman is one of my favorite Alternate Supermen, despite (or maybe because of) my vehement hatred of Nazis. So many times when Superman takes over the world, he's one of those "generic fascists" you see in pop culture all the time, the kind who may commit atrocities but are never framed politically, somehow, or at least not in a way that makes a whole ton of sense, and whose atrocities can be so grandiose as to be difficult to take seriously. The Empire in Star Wars is probably the easiest example. "Injustice" Superman is kind of the default reference point here for Superman, but the "Brave New Metropolis" and "A Better World" Supermen are better executions that avoid some of the pitfalls, for example in Brave New Metropolis, Kal confronts the fact that he done goofed, and in A Better World he takes over the world despite Lois shouting at him that "what the hell, dude" the entire time.

But Overman exists outside of all that for me. He's a monster whose atrocities-by-association outweigh any other "Evil Superman," given significantly more moral weight by the fact that similar things happened in real life, that we have Nazis in real life, to this day! But Overman's immediate guilt over the Holocaust, as soon as he found out about it, his quiet misery, his decision to move on, to try to make the world a better place in spite of it all, and his eventual tormented realization that it will never be enough, given the fact that his utopia is built on a mountain of corpses... Unlike Superman in "A Better World," and certainly unlike Superman in "Injustice," Overman truly reflects the nature and spirit of the Man of Tomorrow, twisted and broken by extreme circumstances, but still managing to shine through despite the horrors he's both witnessed and caused.

Also, there's just a part of me that feels vindicated and yes, gleefully vindictive, about the fact that there's a Superman raised by Hitler who's a better person than the alleged Superman from "Injustice". If this dude can still be sympathetic, likable and even kind of moral, despite participating in horrific atrocities, despite conquering America for Hitler, despite being a bloody Nazi in iconography if not philosophy? Then it just showcases the fact that Injustice Superman is only an irredeemable monster because the writers wanted him to be, and not because Superman is incapable of overcoming great trauma.

So the knowledge that the Overman in this issue is spoilers:
    really Henshaw kind of saves and improves the whole thing for me,
    end of spoilers because I was really worried that they'd toss all that good, quality character work.

Definitely makes me want to run out and buy the comic though. I didn't even know about this series.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Definitely makes me want to run out and buy the comic though. I didn't even know about this series.
    Oh dude, go get caught up right now! Freedom Fighters is one of the best books DC is publishing right now.

~ Black Panther.