I'm honestly starting to budge on the emotional spectrum theory. Or at least, I think I am.

I might be edging towards the ability to mold raw psychic energy. Quentin Quire's psychic shotgun comes to mind

It then got me thinking: what if Jon's armored fist is attacking the foe on a psychic level? Shutting them down mentally while allowing him to do minimize the physical damage he'd need to do to them normally? Like Miles' venom blast in the sense that it takes down and keeps down a foe by paralyzing their central nervous system. Please note that I have no actual evidence to suggest this is the case though.

Being able to "punch" someone's mind would be a fascinating power and play into the physicality of Superman in ways we've never really seen. And given Jor-El's inclination towards nonviolent means of conflict resolution, it would stand to reason that teaching Jon.

Plus it would add more weight to the X-Men comparison Bendis made with his "Mr. Oz's school for gifted youngsters" tweet. And it's not the first time Bendis has gone unconventional with the powers of established characters. As mentioned before in this thread, he gave the younger Jean the ability to take in the ambient psychic energy in her surroundings to gain a new form. Plus, instead of being the indigo color of compassion, it could just be the classic translucent purple color associated with all Marvel psychics since forever.