Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm honestly starting to budge on the emotional spectrum theory. Or at least, I think I am.

I might be edging towards the ability to mold raw psychic energy. Quentin Quire's psychic shotgun comes to mind

It then got me thinking: what if Jon's armored fist is attacking the foe on a psychic level? Shutting them down mentally while allowing him to do minimize the physical damage he'd need to do to them normally? Like Miles' venom blast in the sense that it takes down and keeps down a foe by paralyzing their central nervous system. Please note that I have no actual evidence to suggest this is the case though.

Being able to "punch" someone's mind would be a fascinating power and play into the physicality of Superman in ways we've never really seen. And given Jor-El's inclination towards nonviolent means of conflict resolution, it would stand to reason that teaching Jon.

Plus it would add more weight to the X-Men comparison Bendis made with his "Mr. Oz's school for gifted youngsters" tweet. And it's not the first time Bendis has gone unconventional with the powers of established characters. As mentioned before in this thread, he gave the younger Jean the ability to take in the ambient psychic energy in her surroundings to gain a new form. Plus, instead of being the indigo color of compassion, it could just be the classic translucent purple color associated with all Marvel psychics since forever.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm honestly starting to budge on the emotional spectrum theory. Or at least, I think I am.

I might be edging towards the ability to mold raw psychic energy. Quentin Quire's psychic shotgun comes to mind

It then got me thinking: what if Jon's armored fist is attacking the foe on a psychic level? Shutting them down mentally while allowing him to do minimize the physical damage he'd need to do to them normally? Like Miles' venom blast in the sense that it takes down and keeps down a foe by paralyzing their central nervous system. Please note that I have no actual evidence to suggest this is the case though.

Being able to "punch" someone's mind would be a fascinating power and play into the physicality of Superman in ways we've never really seen. And given Jor-El's inclination towards nonviolent means of conflict resolution, it would stand to reason that teaching Jon.

Plus it would add more weight to the X-Men comparison Bendis made with his "Mr. Oz's school for gifted youngsters" tweet. And it's not the first time Bendis has gone unconventional with the powers of established characters. As mentioned before in this thread, he gave the younger Jean the ability to take in the ambient psychic energy in her surroundings to gain a new form. Plus, instead of being the indigo color of compassion, it could just be the classic translucent purple color associated with all Marvel psychics since forever.

Now we're taking lad. Kinda like psyclocke, which would be a great way to make him standout from the SUPER pack.

BTW I wonder if it would sounehow help fight off mental attacks toward him, we already seen new 52 kon-el able to give mental attackers a backlash enough to put them in a catatonic state. Just a thought, maybe not, so all the Els feel a Lil different in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Now we're taking lad. Kinda like psyclocke, which would be a great way to make him standout from the SUPER pack.

BTW I wonder if it would sounehow help fight off mental attacks toward him, we already seen new 52 kon-el able to give mental attackers a backlash enough to put them in a catatonic state. Just a thought, maybe not, so all the Els feel a Lil different in their own way.
    I genuinely don't know.

But I do have another theory

* He's able to to take the psychic energy that's required to activate a solar flare (feels like it's pretty well established that mental state/emotional power is the trigger and flue for the power in Jon's case unlike his father who had more of a fixed output, thus Jon's biological "defect") and then mold that into something constructive. Thus allowing him to hit with the force of a solar flare but under his control.

This would also give him a bit in common with Marvel's Gladiator (who is himself a Clark-Superboy pastiche) in that he'd be able to augment his power output based on his mental state. But this would give him a nice visual distinction in the form of his construct armor. So that would mean, if the emotional conditions are right, being able to summon up at will the kind of power that takes 2 fully grown Supermen, 2 Flashes, a Wonder Woman, the Teen Titans, and finally a jump into hypertime to stop.

Basically giving Jon the power we thought he had since Tomasi and Gleason's run, but adding in a nice visual aid. Thematically, it would be the idea of Jon taking control of his emotions and the thing that made him dangerous to others. Add it would leave a slight air of Jean Grey Phoenix-like danger do him because he'd still need to keep it in check. Almost an inherent limiter that's only limited by him. I keep finding myself noticing that Jon has a lot in common with the ideas Bendis wanted to get into with the younger Jean and Scott.

It'd be nice to see him mediate regularly.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-09-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Kon93

I'm gonna stick to my 2 "rules" for hybrid kryptonians
    1- any deviation from the norm results in a change in their bio aura
    2- energy can not be destroyed, so hybrids change it into new and fascinating ways.

Lad your theory would still work under my fanboy non "rules".

New tech based thoughts on Jon's powers going forward, and some parallels with Rogol Zaar:

So, the suit that Jor-El gave Jon seems to have a whole bunch of abilities that Jon's not aware of, and it's my guess that they somehow work off of his internal energy or his emotional energy. It's possible that it may go off what Jon is thinking, then it does its best to make it happen.

An example being that the very second Jon is done explaining to his parents where he's been, and he elects to go back out into space the suit seems to respond to them being ready to leave. Then when he meets Kara and Krypto again the suit projects an atmosphere so he can talk to his cousin and say hi to his dog. At first I thought that Jor-El timed the teleport back to his ship, but in issue 11 Jor-El doesn't seem to be happy that Jon is back in space. He says "Jon, I sent you back to Earth for a reason!" That's not something you'd say if you planned for him to come back minutes later, so I have to assume that the suit responded to Jon being ready to go back into space.

Check out my Rogol Zaar/Jon Kent parallels breakdown (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...erman-12/page3) It works under the assumption that Zaar is Jor-El's bastard son and Clark's half brother, thus making him Jon's uncle and another half kryptonian.

One of the parallels is that in all of the 11 issues so far the only two characters shown to consume or talk about food several times have been Jon and Zaar. Both were even placed in environments without sunlight (in Man of Steel it's confirmed that Zaar is boosted by Earth's yellow sun) and sustained some level of power at far greater magnitudes for far longer than a normal Kryptonian. And Clark makes a specific comment that long time fans of Jon may find interesting. He says "now I may never find out how Rogol Zaar, this completely unique creature, seems to always be able to conjure the power and energy to fight back." Sounds a lot like how in the early days Jon would get the power he needed to either punch out a dinosaur or out speed his dad on foot, right? Damian confirmed that his powers were linked to his emotions. Well, if the same were true for Zaar and he had a hate and anger that kept him going for decades, then you can imagine how powerful that'd make him, right?

And there's the interesting part in issue 10 of Superman were Jon is chased by Superwoman and he's seen flying, floating, and rammed through buildings even though he's been without sun for years and years by that point. Seems similar to how Zaar, even without the yellow sun boosting him, was able to pretty much beat down two of the most powerful kryptonians in the game. Jon could've escaped the volcano because he was in the right emotional sate. So, I'm thinking he couldn't fly or climb out because he didn't believe he could. He assumed his powers worked mostly like his dads. It's similar to how Kon in the 90s assumed his powers worked like Supermans, but once he accepted that they didn't he was opened to a whole new world of abilities Superman didn't have.

Back to the suit: I think it's thematically similar to Zaar's axe. Zaar doesn't need the axe to be a beast. He's proven that just like Jon's proven he doesn't need the suit to survive in space and take out whole fleets of ships as a 10 year old. But the axe works in unison with Zaar. It amplifies and feeds of his anger, and it reacts to his thoughts and needs. And if Jor-El is indeed Zaar's father, then it makes sense that he made Jon's suit the way he did. Taking the emotional power of a hybrid kryptonian and giving then a device to focus it into. Maybe it's made as a counter to the axe? It's also worth noting that both Jon's new suit and Zaar's axe have the ability to generate their own atmospheres. Going forward, I'm thinking that similar to something like Ben 10, I think the gimmick is going to be that Jon can't always make the suit work on command because it's tied to his half kryptonian heightened emotional state. That gives him something to learn to control as a young character, and something that will continue to be visually surprising and flexible. It also gives his emotional power boots abilities a visual flare to it similar to Rogol Zaar and his axe.

Whatever the case, I find myself more interested in Jon's half kryptonian emotional power boosts and his new suit than I am in the prospect of him creating energy constructs. I'd be totally fine with that fist construct maybe just being a prototype or something Jor-El was working on.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-11-2019 at 06:26 PM.