All-New Member

Default Comic Book Storage

Hey all,

Does anyone have suggestions for comic book storage? I have been replacing my collection with TPB's to save on space (and moving effort) and keep them in book cases. However, much of my collection is still in floppies and not Tpb-able. Does anyone know of comic book storage that is a bit more sturdy than carboard long boxes? I've looked at wooden and plastic ones, but they are kinda pricey. I've considered Legal sized filing cabinates, one a two drawer sized.

Any suggestions?

~J

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

For a number of years I used trunks to store my comics in. I would store them in that . But after so long I decided to do away with those heavy trunks for my collection and go to book shelves.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

All-New Member

Thats a good idea. I've considered getting a couple ottomans and stashing a few hundred in there.

Most in plastic storage boxes, though some I have on a book shelf and others in a small filing cabinet.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by J.Scott View Post
    Hey all,

Does anyone have suggestions for comic book storage? I have been replacing my collection with TPB's to save on space (and moving effort) and keep them in book cases. However, much of my collection is still in floppies and not Tpb-able. Does anyone know of comic book storage that is a bit more sturdy than carboard long boxes? I've looked at wooden and plastic ones, but they are kinda pricey. I've considered Legal sized filing cabinates, one a two drawer sized.

Any suggestions?

~J
    A lot depends on how large your collection is and how much space you have. For example, consider how often you will want to get into the boxes and whether you will need to stack them for space efficiency. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Plastic boxes (a.k.a. Coroplast) are more water resistant that corrugated, however, the operative word is resistant. It is true water will not penetrate the material, whereas corrugated will absorb or wick water over time. But all coroplast boxes are made of a flat sheet and use a fold over design to form a box. This means there are open seams on every corner that water will readily leak through and vermin can use for access. If you worry that water may come from above, such as from a broken pipe, then they offer some limited protection. But they offer no water protection from flooding.

Another characteristic of coroplast is it is less rigid that corrugated. This means the material is subject to flexing and will not support much weight. If you anticipate stacking boxes at all coroplast. When we first developed our DrawerBoxes we considered making them out of coroplast, but quickly realized that for 3 times the cost not only they would not provide protection from water, they would never be stackable. An important consideration if you have limited space.

One of the advantages of corrugated is it can be made with different weights of papers and fluting to increase strength, both stacking and tear resistance. If a cardboard box isn't sturdy, it is because it was made with a cheap grade of cardboard. Cardboard can be made strong enough that even 70" flat panel TVs can be shipped across the country in cardboard! Avoid any boxes that use 200# or 250# test cardboard, which is the measure of force it takes to puncture the material. Those weights are low grades which, unfortunately, is used by most comic box manufacturers. We never use less than 300# test for our DrawerBoxes and our support sleeves are even stronger.

Another common misunderstanding is plastic is better because it is "acid free". The source of most acidity that yellows comic pages comes from the lignin in the newsprint of the comic itself. Since acidity migrates from more acidic to base, typically the boxes are more in danger from acidity than the comics themselves. Good bags, such as Mylar or Mylite material, will act as a barrier for acidity.

File cabinets can be a solution, but with the exception of wood, they are one of the most expensive options. Make sure you use one with a sturdy grade of roller hardware since a full drawer of comics is heavier than files, causing the mechanism to fail over time. Also make sure the metal has rolled edges. Cheaper file cabinets don't and the edges can be sharp if you are not careful. And if you need to maximize your space by going vertical or get the most in a limited space, file cabinets are not stackable or modular enough to take full advantage of a limited space.

Wood is great but very expensive. Worse, if the drawers are pre-assembled (I've never seen one that wasn't), shipping across country may cost more than the box itself.