Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Fun Fact: Tony Stark is Carols AA sponnsor

Here is what happened to Carol during Operation Galatic Storm:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Here is what happened to Carol during Operation Galatic Storm:
    Wow, that was intense!

I can see how Carol would burn out her Binary powers. However, I loved Carol as Binary!

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If memory serves, Avengers volume 3, within the first 8 or so issues of the Busiek and Perez run is where it starts. I haven't read enough of Carol's current books to say if writers continue to note her struggles with alcohol. I have often wondered if alcohol addiction was itself symptomatic of a bigger addiction, especially since she started drinking at a time when her Binary powers were on the fritz. It wouldn't shock me if her true addiction -- the real rush that she gets and can't live without -- is linked to her powers.
    Yoo ... they need to explore this.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Fun Fact: Tony Stark is Carols AA sponnsor
    Why would a science boi even consider AA? .. The Sinclair Method .. thoughhh. That’s what’s up.

Extraordinary Member

Actually, originally Ms. Marvel didn't have energy projection powers. She was basically a lightweight Wonder Woman with ESP. The energy powers came from her Binary persona. But she was nowhere near Binary level when she donned the Ms. M. costume again.
    Ah, thanks.

I do remember that issue 41 of Avengers v3 explained she could boost her power levels by absorbing enough energy (and the Caption Box Narrator said she had maybe a little residue of her old ESP left).

Incredible Member

I have great memories of the Busiek/perez Avengers run as the one who brought Carol Danvers back.
    Carol's history had already been a rough ride and she was at the time a damaged character, she suffered from a lot of trauma. I will try to explain what led to her alcoholism.

She had been mind-controlled and raped by Marcus, Immortus's son so that he could impregnate himself in her and find a way to escape limbo (Gross!).
    She found herself on earth a few days later, pregnant with no memories and the Avengers far from finding that curious and maybe dangerous, found it wonderful, you could even think of janet thinking about the names to give the baby. They just let her down. When she gave birth to baby marcus it created a temporal paradox and she left with marcus, still mind controlled with the Avengers wishing them good luck!

They go back to Limbo where Marcus rapidly ages and dies, she comes back to earth, now no longer mind controlled, angry against the Avengers for letting her down and what happens? She gets her powers and memories stolen by Rogue! This will lead to a confrontation with the Avengers team where she will tell them how they let her down, her friends.

Depowered, losing touch with most of who she was, she stays with the X-Men for a moment, gets kidnapped and experimented on by Broods which awakens Binary. She helps the X-Men for a moment, but when they accept Rogue in their ranks she feels betrayed once again and leaves for the stars with the Starjammers for a few years, she almost disappear completely from comic books.

During Operation Galactic Storm she saves the sun but pays the price for it;
    And when she begins her stint on Busiek and Perez's Avengers run, she discovers her powers are now in flux. And she didn't want to risk her Avengers membership, she had already lost so much.

Traumas+pressure=alcoholism for Carol.
    I'll advise you to read her beautiful story arc in Avengers to see how this beautiful story of fall and rise of an heroine resolves.

Invincible Member

I think it's fine to just go with the idea that her Binary levels just sorta burned out to where she can still access them, but just not on a constant basis. Everything doesn't need a major story to explain it.

At one point in the 70's Capt America had super strength until he didn't. The explanation was...it simply wore off.

BANNED

Jean grey as phoenix severed carol's link to the white hole because after operation galactic storm, some other psychics were trying to manipulate her making her destabilize the white hole she created to save earth's sun.

This led to her powers eventually fading away.

happens in x-men unlimited 13
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 04-16-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    No, she wasn't powerless, she was back to her old powers as Ms. Marvel, super strong, flight, energy projection, instant costume changes, etc.

As Beast says, she just went from "phenomenally" to "incredibly" powerful.

I don't recall much explanation of why those powers faded; the Brood's experiments just wore off I guess. Of course she keeps sort of going Binary again anyway.

Hey everyone, check it out. It's The Beast, back when he was written well! No need to focus on Carol's struggle with the bottle. I'm sure that the MCU version of the character will not touch this with a ten foot pole because she is positioned to be their Wonder Woman and role model for kids. Here is another fun fact that you may not know. During this period in the characters history Carol was being set up to be a science fiction author.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-17-2019 at 12:08 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Also in this issue of Iron Man. Carol and Tony run into each other at an AA meeting...

RCO001_1475676112.jpg

RCO012_1475676112.jpg

As far as I remember, her Binary powers fated due to the star that gave her, her Binary powers was fading, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Why would a science boi even consider AA? .. The Sinclair Method .. thoughhh. That’s what’s up.
    This is something I never understood. I know in reality the writers are probably not aware how unreliable and non evidence based AA is, but a sceptical scientist in a religion based abstention process seems infeasible even if there was sound evidence to suggest it works.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    I have great memories of the Busiek/perez Avengers run as the one who brought Carol Danvers back.
    Carol's history had already been a rough ride and she was at the time a damaged character, she suffered from a lot of trauma. I will try to explain what led to her alcoholism.

She had been mind-controlled and raped by Marcus, Immortus's son so that he could impregnate himself in her and find a way to escape limbo (Gross!).
    She found herself on earth a few days later, pregnant with no memories and the Avengers far from finding that curious and maybe dangerous, found it wonderful, you could even think of janet thinking about the names to give the baby. They just let her down. When she gave birth to baby marcus it created a temporal paradox and she left with marcus, still mind controlled with the Avengers wishing them good luck!

They go back to Limbo where Marcus rapidly ages and dies, she comes back to earth, now no longer mind controlled, angry against the Avengers for letting her down and what happens? She gets her powers and memories stolen by Rogue! This will lead to a confrontation with the Avengers team where she will tell them how they let her down, her friends.

Depowered, losing touch with most of who she was, she stays with the X-Men for a moment, gets kidnapped and experimented on by Broods which awakens Binary. She helps the X-Men for a moment, but when they accept Rogue in their ranks she feels betrayed once again and leaves for the stars with the Starjammers for a few years, she almost disappear completely from comic books.

During Operation Galactic Storm she saves the sun but pays the price for it;
    And when she begins her stint on Busiek and Perez's Avengers run, she discovers her powers are now in flux. And she didn't want to risk her Avengers membership, she had already lost so much.

Traumas+pressure=alcoholism for Carol.
    I'll advise you to read her beautiful story arc in Avengers to see how this beautiful story of fall and rise of an heroine resolves.
    wow this is detailed and I like it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This is something I never understood. I know in reality the writers are probably not aware how unreliable and non evidence based AA is, but a sceptical scientist in a religion based abstention process seems infeasible even if there was sound evidence to suggest it works.
    I know,right?

I wouldn’t have thought Tony would go to AA. Thing is; from what I know, relapsing seems to be common among AA goers whereas TSM seems more scientific based with stable sobriety. Our Science Boy should reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Also in this issue of Iron Man. Carol and Tony run into each other at an AA meeting...

RCO001_1475676112.jpg

RCO012_1475676112.jpg
    Ohhh they met during their beef? Wasn’t Tony also struggling to stay sober during CW1 .. I feel sorry for him. Tough life

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Actually, originally Ms. Marvel didn't have energy projection powers. She was basically a lightweight Wonder Woman with ESP. The energy powers came from her Binary persona. But she was nowhere near Binary level when she donned the Ms. M. costume again.
    Just to add to that, the added powers were due to Brood experimentation.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?