Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This is something I never understood. I know in reality the writers are probably not aware how unreliable and non evidence based AA is, but a sceptical scientist in a religion based abstention process seems infeasible even if there was sound evidence to suggest it works.
    Well, this is comics. If they wanted to, they could end addiction altogether with one visit to a sufficiently powerful telepath, or create tech that rewires the body in a way that makes it impossible for a person to get drunk. At one point we were told that Wolverine's healing ability was so powerful that he couldn't get really intoxicated without consuming massive amounts of alcohol in a short window of time. You'd think even turning into Binary-lite would burn most of the toxins out of Carol's system, but it doesn't. Even Galactus has been shown getting drunk, which I think is beyond ridiculous. But... writers. What can you do?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

nm

and 10
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    At one point we were told that Wolverine's healing ability was so powerful that he couldn't get really intoxicated without consuming massive amounts of alcohol in a short window of time.
    And the Grey Hulk once did exactly that, breaking into and drinking the entire contents of a liquor store, on the basis that was what it would take for enough alcohol to be left in his system to keep Banner properly, paralytically drunk come sunrise when he changed back.

Speaking of Captain Marvel's Alcoholism... Looks like it's going to come up in Iron Man...

TONY STARK: IRON MAN #14
    DAN SLOTT & JIM ZUB (W) • VALERIO SCHITI (A) • Cover by INHYUK LEE
    CARNAGE-IZED VARIANT COVER BY PASQUAL FERRY
    “THE ONE-STEP PROGRAM”
    spoilers:
    When Iron Man tells Captain Marvel that he can’t be her sponsor because he may or may not have fallen off the wagon, Carol doesn’t it take it well. What is Tony Stark’s new high-tech solution for sobriety? Find out why this might be his worst idea yet. Featuring the villainy of the all-new Spymaster. And follow Jocasta as she decides to go all in for “the ultimate upgrade.”
    end of spoilers

Her problem was alluded to in the recent Jessica Jones book. Only in passing though

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Fun Fact: Tony Stark is Carols AA sponnsor
    Maybe that’s why she blew him up and put him in a coma.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Her problem was alluded to in the recent Jessica Jones book. Only in passing though
    Did Carol relapse?

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Maybe that’s why she blew him up and put him in a coma.
    LOL

It's glad to see someone remembered. I may be wrong, but hasn't she erroneously been depicted drinking at times?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    ... hasn't she erroneously been depicted drinking at times?
    Not since the coffee addiction took over.

Last edited by snark^; 04-20-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    Not since the coffee addiction took over.

goddamn girl, these workaholics
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This is something I never understood. I know in reality the writers are probably not aware how unreliable and non evidence based AA is, but a sceptical scientist in a religion based abstention process seems infeasible even if there was sound evidence to suggest it works.
    On the other hand, it’s hard to be skeptical about religion when Hpu hang with actual gods...
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor