Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
I've always personally felt Marvel missed a trick not doing a sideline imprint of MCU comics, using the MCU characters and their MCU portrayals and pumping those out in Newsstand locations and toy stores etc. Use the MCU as a link back to the comics, without losing what makes the comics their own thing.
I remember reading some Batman history, an interview with Neal Adams I think. It was discussing the impact the Adam West Batman show had on the comics. When the West Batman came on air, the comics weren't unfaithful to the show, since it was still silver age and silly season. But the Batman show largely brought in new readers only during the first few episodes and so on, and near the end readership was dropping and then the show canceled and as a result of that withdrawal, readership of Batman also fell. So it didn't exactly bring new readers as much as people think. And eventually the comics decided to go its own way with Neal Adams taking Batman in a darker direction and sales picked up in the '70s during the Bronze Age and so on.

So it's always been a mug's game as to whether the movies bring in new comics readers or not. Making MCU comics would be a problem because speaking as a consumer of movie and other tie-ins, if there is deviation from canon and so on, people are not going to care. It has be a perfect canon and in most cases it can't be because the movies will do what it has to do. Then there's also the question of quality. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are astonishingly good and entertaining. Any potential reader of the comic would have a right to expect that comics writers match the inventiveness and imagination of James Gunn and his crew.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
We all come to this stuff in different ways. I came to the movies first, so for me, Chris Pratt's take on the character is the real deal and the comic one is an odd imposter, a bit like having to read/watch stuff with OG Nick Fury in a post-Samuel L. Jackson Fury world.
I feel the same way about the John Stewart Green Lantern. I definitely remember the Ryan Reynolds' GL movie. I grew up with the Justice League cartoons and for me John Stewart is Green Lantern, and I was let down as hell when they announced going with boring Hal Jordan for the movie, and to this day, I am unable to forgive Geoff Johns and DC for not reading the room and making Stewart "the GL" in the core comics and franchise. They should have made the cartoon Justice League into the actual comics Justice League and also the one in the Snyder movie.