Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Lightbulb If Marvel was a manga company, how would things change?

90% of the problems that I have with Marvel Comics come from its (lack of) structure, I was wondering what would happen if Marvel Comics were more like a Manga magazine. The best part is, since this is just a fan discussion, we don't have to worry about the bureaucracy that comes with a real company.

How would you organize the stories? Would it be one whole universe or an anthology?

Most importantly, how long would each series go on for?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    90% of the problems that I have with Marvel Comics come from its (lack of) structure, I was wondering what would happen if Marvel Comics were more like a Manga magazine. The best part is, since this is just a fan discussion, we don't have to worry about the bureaucracy that comes with a real company.

How would you organize the stories? Would it be one whole universe or an anthology?

Personally I think the books would be more consistent and better written. Manga usually gets a bit of time to catch on. But the biggest plus is the same creative team. If marvel hired and artist and writer for one book for at least a guaranteed 3 year 36 issue run with no behind the scenes interference with rotating artists/writersI think the books would end up selling much better and have a more loyal fanbase. It could also still be a shared universe but imagine things would be much easier to maintain. Character books once a week or twice a week so each avenger has a story with the same team and then the monthly team book. So in a 4 week period if there are seven avengers we have 2 books a week with one week having three and forth week being the team book.
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-03-2020 at 02:01 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

We'd get better animated shows...
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    To be fair, that feels more like Disney's fault than anything else.

Boisterously Confused

To be fair, that feels more like Disney's fault than anything else.
    Seconded. AEMH was really quite good.

If it was a manga company, it DEFINITELY wouldn't be one big universe. Nothing like that exists in Japan.

Also, EVERY book would be creator-owned. So, basically, not Marvel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    If it was a manga company, it DEFINITELY wouldn't be one big universe. Nothing like that exists in Japan.

Also, EVERY book would be creator-owned. So, basically, not Marvel.
    I still remember the old days of Image Comics. Its small size did it favors.

Mighty Member

There would certainly be less editorial conflict between offices and books. Whitley, during the behind the scenes on Future Foundation, had to jump through multiple hoops when it came to merely getting a cast.

On the downside, a shared universe would probably not exist. We would expect to see authors have an OC inflation to fill the gaps.

Since I'm not familiar with a Manga magazine, what vision are you seeing? What do I need to know to be able to answer the question?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Manga series are written with an ending in mind. Therefore Spider Man, the X-Men the Avengers and so on would have concluded their narrative arcs years ago and we would be dealing with different characters and different stories.

Floppies will be combined into a 200 page weekly book with a bigger one on sundays with lower pager to keep prices down and people will get them in the mail like newspapers. They then will be released in better paper manga trades at full price. You could go to most book stores, thrift stores and shops in japan and find them and there is TWO 5 story manga shops in japan selling them! You can read them in some airports for free also!

Also you would get ads on tv for the comics still!

Well detective conan, lupin the 3rd and Urusei Yatsura did crossovers as did some other ones.

Angelic layer is part of at least 3 other manga and anime crossovers. So they do have them. Heck detective conan has three spin-off titles and dr slump is part of dragonballs world.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    Manga series are written with an ending in mind. Therefore Spider Man, the X-Men the Avengers and so on would have concluded their narrative arcs years ago and we would be dealing with different characters and different stories.
    But they don't. At least not all of them.
    Ranma 1/2 ended but with the potential for more.
    Robotech ended but with the potential for more.

Manga is also known for taking a concept and reusing it in different ways. So after spider-man, we might have had a character injected with spider venom in a High school, another series might have a character find a suit which grants his Spider like powers, a third series and the Spider totem would possess a boy and give him Spider powers, etc. Spit up on a wall and see what sticks.

Now let's talk Spider-man, and it was developed with an ending in mind. Which I'm going to say is the death of the Green Goblin. That is 10 years in the making, manga style, so about time to quit. That means no Black Cat, no Venom, no Carnage, no Silver Sable. no Secret Wars, no Ben Reilly. I'm sure many other "no" because the character was created after issue 122. But we would get Spider-girl as a reboot. By now she might have aged as well and we get the all new Spider-man.

Now with X-Men. We would have X-Factor, Excalibur, X-Force, New Mutants, as these would be reboots of the Uncanny X-Men series with a different spin. But no Wolverine, as Wolverine debuted in Hulk and Hulk ended before his debut.

Interesting enough Hulk probably lends itself to a manga style pretty well. We have the Joe Fixit era, the smart Hulk era, Planet Hulk era, I could see each of those actually happening. Still no Wolverine as dumb hulk series ended.

So no, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think the manga style works. We can try it out and go to the manga boards and ask the question, anyone read Space Ship Yamato? See how many people say yes.

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Floppies will be combined into a 200 page weekly book with a bigger one on sundays with lower pager to keep prices down and people will get them in the mail like newspapers. They then will be released in better paper manga trades at full price. You could go to most book stores, thrift stores and shops in japan and find them and there is TWO 5 story manga shops in japan selling them! You can read them in some airports for free also!

Also you would get ads on tv for the comics still!

As defined by Haquim, this isn't the Manga way.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    That's a given lol.

And likely more complex and arguably better plots.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Interesting enough Hulk probably lends itself to a manga style pretty well.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]