Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I've always personally felt Marvel missed a trick not doing a sideline imprint of MCU comics, using the MCU characters and their MCU portrayals and pumping those out in Newsstand locations and toy stores etc. Use the MCU as a link back to the comics, without losing what makes the comics their own thing.
    I remember reading some Batman history, an interview with Neal Adams I think. It was discussing the impact the Adam West Batman show had on the comics. When the West Batman came on air, the comics weren't unfaithful to the show, since it was still silver age and silly season. But the Batman show largely brought in new readers only during the first few episodes and so on, and near the end readership was dropping and then the show canceled and as a result of that withdrawal, readership of Batman also fell. So it didn't exactly bring new readers as much as people think. And eventually the comics decided to go its own way with Neal Adams taking Batman in a darker direction and sales picked up in the '70s during the Bronze Age and so on.

So it's always been a mug's game as to whether the movies bring in new comics readers or not. Making MCU comics would be a problem because speaking as a consumer of movie and other tie-ins, if there is deviation from canon and so on, people are not going to care. It has be a perfect canon and in most cases it can't be because the movies will do what it has to do. Then there's also the question of quality. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are astonishingly good and entertaining. Any potential reader of the comic would have a right to expect that comics writers match the inventiveness and imagination of James Gunn and his crew.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    We all come to this stuff in different ways. I came to the movies first, so for me, Chris Pratt's take on the character is the real deal and the comic one is an odd imposter, a bit like having to read/watch stuff with OG Nick Fury in a post-Samuel L. Jackson Fury world.
    I feel the same way about the John Stewart Green Lantern. I definitely remember the Ryan Reynolds' GL movie. I grew up with the Justice League cartoons and for me John Stewart is Green Lantern, and I was let down as hell when they announced going with boring Hal Jordan for the movie, and to this day, I am unable to forgive Geoff Johns and DC for not reading the room and making Stewart "the GL" in the core comics and franchise. They should have made the cartoon Justice League into the actual comics Justice League and also the one in the Snyder movie.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I remember reading some Batman history, an interview with Neal Adams I think. It was discussing the impact the Adam West Batman show had on the comics. When the West Batman came on air, the comics weren't unfaithful to the show, since it was still silver age and silly season. But the Batman show largely brought in new readers only during the first few episodes and so on, and near the end readership was dropping and then the show canceled and as a result of that withdrawal, readership of Batman also fell. So it didn't exactly bring new readers as much as people think. And eventually the comics decided to go its own way with Neal Adams taking Batman in a darker direction and sales picked up in the '70s during the Bronze Age and so on.

So it's always been a mug's game as to whether the movies bring in new comics readers or not. Making MCU comics would be a problem because speaking as a consumer of movie and other tie-ins, if there is deviation from canon and so on, people are not going to care. It has be a perfect canon and in most cases it can't be because the movies will do what it has to do. Then there's also the question of quality. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are astonishingly good and entertaining. Any potential reader of the comic would have a right to expect that comics writers match the inventiveness and imagination of James Gunn and his crew.
    Eh, you wouldn't necessarily do them month on month, maybe do larger digest size things with a story set in the MCU, then do something that explains the difference between MCU stuff and comics stuff - have an on page multiverse description explaining how different universes mean different characters - that way you introduce people who are fans of the MCU to the comics stuff, without having to alter the comics totally to mirror what the movies are doing - after all, the comics aren't canon to the MCU, so what does it matter if they are different as long as you can hook that new reader and keep them, without alienating your existing base?

In regards canonical stuff, you can get round that in the same way - you can use the same character without having it be part of the MCU - they do it enough with tie in novels and other merchandise/cartoons.

It's more about trying to appeal to numerous audiences; the attempt to grow your comic reading audience by trying to tempt in some film viewers, rather than trying to hammer your product in to a shape that appeals to everyone....because then you risk appealing to no one.

It's not like Marvel haven't put out MCU comics anyway - they just put out a huge omnibus containing all of them in one place - it's just more about pushing those comics on to new readers, and helping them to be the bridge between MCU and the standard comic universe, rather than trying to use standard universe ones to do the same job (given how hard it must be for a new reader to jump in on some franchises and stick with it, even with MCU synergy).
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I feel the same way about the John Stewart Green Lantern. I definitely remember the Ryan Reynolds' GL movie. I grew up with the Justice League cartoons and for me John Stewart is Green Lantern, and I was let down as hell when they announced going with boring Hal Jordan for the movie, and to this day, I am unable to forgive Geoff Johns and DC for not reading the room and making Stewart "the GL" in the core comics and franchise. They should have made the cartoon Justice League into the actual comics Justice League and also the one in the Snyder movie.
    Personally, as someone who also grew up with the DCAU and Justice League, I appreciated being able to get into the comics with how different they were and getting to read stories with the other GL's other and seeing the comics as their own distinct thing from the DCAU.

John Stewart is what got me into the GL's as a concept but Hal Jordan was what got me into the Green Lantern comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally, as someone who also grew up with the DCAU and Justice League, I appreciated being able to get into the comics with how different they were and getting to read stories with the other GL's other and seeing the comics as their own distinct thing from the DCAU.

John Stewart is what got me into the GL's as a concept but Hal Jordan was what got me into the Green Lantern comics.
    I appreciate that. It's just that for me it seemed unfair. And I guess Geoff Johns proved my point about adaptations not bringing in new readers. He went his own way, and his GL comics were successful, at least in comics though not in the movies.

guy gardner is the core gl
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    guy gardner is the core gl
    Christmas Lantern for the win .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Indeed Star Lord is almost the poster child for this. If any one of his previous incarnations had actually taken off then maybe they would have used that in the movie. Instead he has a long history of tweaking and change because he was never quite finished. His original story was fine, but not if you want to integrate him into the MCU or even the MU. Even that original story developed as it went along. I doesn’t read as a unified story, it reads as a story that slowly expanded and changed.
    And what makes MCU Star lord better? Every character has developed over time and changed drastically. I personally liked the Abenett run the best and much better than the mcu version. He just comes off as James Gunn’s self insert character

Just because something is niche doesn’t make it bad
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 08-08-2020 at 02:03 AM.

Incredible Member

More or less Shooter's point. "Anything the 1000 people don't say" would include GOTG. The MCU largely dealt or defined characters who fall in that bracket. Before RDJ, Iron Man was not a popular or banner name. People knew Fantastic Four, they knew Spider-Man and they knew the X-Men, and they also knew the Hulk. But Iron Man, not much. Cap, ditto, Thor, nuh-uh.
    Aren’t Iron Man, Thor and Captain America consider the Big Three of marvel? I think that is a bit of a stretch to say nobody knew them. The Ultimates did a lot to revitalize the Avengers which is where the mcu pulls a lot of its material from and also why they went forward with an Avengers movie instead of sitting back and letting Fox and Sony make movies for them. Even the awful Heroes Reborn reboot by Lee and Liefeld showed there was interest for the Avengers characters

The Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man isn't like the comics. He wasn't this quippy joker. Warren Ellis' EXTREMIS deals with the Pre-RDJ Tony and he's basically a serious, all-business character. Even a little dull
    I admit I haven’t read much pre movie Iron Man but that fits Stark in the Ultimates to a T. He is much more snarky and is basically the comic relief considering other Ultimates are fairly straight forward. Stark in the Ultimates is definitely a guy who knows he’s the smartest the guy the room and the richest hence why he can do basically whatever he wants including taking Elizabeth Shannon into freaking space while doing an interview with Larry King

Extraordinary Member

You would think comics M’Baku and Malice (Nakia) would change because of the success of Black Panther.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

because before the movie, the public was like ....

And sometimes the mass media versions help expand the comics in ways not expected, because they'll often look at things from a different point of view.

This is how Superman gained the power of flight, Kryptonite, Perry White, Jimmy Olsen and Cat Grant.
    And how the Shadow gained Margo Lane.
    Batman got the batcave that way also. It came from the serials. Then the phantom creator said batman ripped off the phantom cave with it.

Aren’t Iron Man, Thor and Captain America consider the Big Three of marvel? I think that is a bit of a stretch to say nobody knew them.
    Comic readers yeah but non comics readers didn't. Other then the 60s cartoon, the few 90s cartoons that didn't last long like the failed iron man cartoon and the failed tv movies and the "planned to be big screen movies but never released to the movies" films from the early 90s most people didn't know who the heck iron man was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Aren’t Iron Man, Thor and Captain America consider the Big Three of marvel?
    They've traditionally been referred to as the big three of the Avengers, not Marvel in general.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Was Star-Lord supposed to be Marvel's Flash Gordon originally? Where did he come from? Star-Lord and Blade were changed for the better by the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Was Star-Lord supposed to be Marvel's Flash Gordon originally? Where did he come from? Star-Lord and Blade were changed for the better by the movies.
    No. The best Star-Lord was the Giffen/DnA version of him.

The movie version is just a big loser with no personality at all!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Batman got the batcave that way also. It came from the serials. Then the phantom creator said batman ripped off the phantom cave with it.
    That’s the thing. TV and movies should supplement the comics not entirely change them. Superman flying, laser vision, Perry and the S being a kryptonian symbol all add to the character without changing him. Same with the Batcave. With Star Lord Bendis did a complete one eighty. I’m not a fan of this. DC sort of did this with Aquaman growing his hair and beard out and made him a bit more jokey but not as extreme. Like if i wanted to watch the movies i’d watch the movies. I’m also not a fan of Star Lord in the MCU especially after IW

Comic readers yeah but non comics readers didn't. Other then the 60s cartoon, the few 90s cartoons that didn't last long like the failed iron man cartoon and the failed tv movies and the "planned to be big screen movies but never released to the movies" films from the early 90s most people didn't know who the heck iron man was.
    I hate to break it to you but outside of Batman, Superman, Spider-man and the X Men collective most people aren’t familiar with most comic characters. I’d have put pre mcu iron man at the same level as the Flash or Aquaman