Question Question about Batman Animated Film

Is Batman Bad Blood self-contained? I found it on sale at my local store so I bought it, but apparently there are films before it.

I couldn't find Son of Batman and Batman vs Robin in the store, and the copy of Bad Blood seemed to be the last one in stock. I'm going to watch it anyway, of course, but is there assumed knowledge in this film that requires seeing the first two? If so, I might see if I can find them.

But if the movie is stand alone, I won't bother. Thanks.

The film is meant to come after Son of Batman and what not, as Damian is a key member of cast. And while Dick becomes Batman in this, it focuses more on Kate Kane, Batwoman.

So, not really stand alone, but doesn't have much bearing on the rest of the animated films either that come after.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The film is meant to come after Son of Batman and what not, as Damian is a key member of cast.
    Interesting. Well, I knew it was part of a series, but is Damian's background vital knowledge for the plot? Or not sufficiently covered in Bad Blood itself?

Because you can totally watch Terminator 2 without watching the prior film. Or jump into any of the old Indiana Jones films without seeing the other ones for context, and still get what is going on. But, say for example, Infinity War is probably somewhat incomprehensible without seeing most of the prior films.

So is this more of a Terminator 2 type scenario, where seeing the prior film helps, but isn't absolutely necessary? Or more of an Infinity War - who are these people and what are they even talking about, type situation?

Thanks.

Extraordinary Member

I would say it is a Terminator 2 type scenario, and if you are otherwise a Batman fan and know the franchise you will have no problems to understand what is going on.

I think the only thing that could make it hard to understand the movie is when you don't know who Thalia is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I would say it is a Terminator 2 type scenario, and if you are otherwise a Batman fan and know the franchise you will have no problems to understand what is going on.
    Ah, cool, thanks. I know who Talia is, and the bulk of Damian's background.

I'm going to watch it with some others who don't read the comics, but they've seen the Nolan trilogy - so they'll know who Talia is as well, from those films.

The only recent standalones I can think of (in more recent years) are Under the Red Hood (great film), Gotham by Gaslight (a bit different from the comic, but good in its own right), and Batman Ninja (if you like the insane kind of feats that happen in anime, you'll like this).

Though I will say, some characters take a 180 in Bad Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The only recent standalones I can think of (in more recent years) are Under the Red Hood (great film), Gotham by Gaslight (a bit different from the comic, but good in its own right), and Batman Ninja (if you like the insane kind of feats that happen in anime, you'll like this).

Though I will say, some characters take a 180 in Bad Blood.
    Dark Knight Returns, the first Batman Unlimited movie, the Batman 66 movie with the return of Adam West and Butt Ward to the roles.