Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It's pretty terrible, and I know it can be good, but it can only be good when it stops being so much like Metal. It still is the best run since Rebirth, so I give it a 6.

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    It's pretty terrible, and I know it can be good, but it can only be good when it stops being so much like Metal. It still is the best run since Rebirth, so I give it a 6.
    By which you mean better than Hitch's? That's a pretty low bar. I think only Robinson's 'Cry for Justice' mini/JLA run has ever been worse than Hitch's.

I agree it's best when it's least like Metal. The latest issue was very like Metal.

I'm reading it in trades. So far, I just have the first. While it's far from a favorite run, I find it enjoyable enough. Positive points: Like the line-up. The 9 core members make a great team, and there are plenty of additional guest-stars. Will Payton was always my favorite Starman and it was a pleasant surprise to see him. The art is amazing. I've always said that taking Cheung away from Marvel was, IMHO, a way bigger coup than stealing Bendis, even if we get to enjoy him only sporadically. Snyder obviously is going for the big concepts, ala Morrison, but I don't think he masters it as well (not that I'm a fan of everything Morrison does).
    The bad: IMHO, it lacks character work and small personal moments. I like books that delve deeper into the relationships, and I'm not finding this here (I'm hardly finding it anywhere nowadays, to be frank, not the good kind). But all in all, it's been okay.

Peace

I like the cast of heroes assembled. And at times the book has truly stellar art. Like the DCEU however the story/plotting is not so great. You know it's a doozy when you re-evaluate your dislike of something like JL Ape after reading thr current era. I mean, Cosmic Doorknobs ? Space oceans? Justice Leaguers as fish? Pass!

BANNED

The Origin for Anti-Monitor was neat.

Some stuff is a hit for me some stuff a miss.
    I feel like the whole Batman siding with The World Forger thing is a pretty predictable direction honestly.

His inspiration honestly seems like its the old Justice league cartoon. Just upped a couple dials storywise.

It was getting too "epic" for me so I stopped reading it, loved the art and lineup though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Terrible. Building off of how awful Metal was, he's coming off as desperate to be a "big thinker" writer along the lines of Morrison or Moore and it's amounting to little more than cosmic thumb-twiddling. I like that he brought the Will Payton Starman back but that's probably the only real positive I can say.

What's funny is that when I saw title of the thread I thought it was going to be about ZACK Snyder's Justice League, which might be the only one I enjoy even less than this.
    Nobody has seen that yet so you don't know if you enjoy it less

I like it a lot, but I also liked Johns JL which was divisive here. Ultimately though it’s basically a build up to his Justice/Doom War Event. If he nails that his JL run will go down as one of my all time favorites. If he fails his run won’t rank very highly imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Nobody has seen that yet so you don't know if you enjoy it less
    I saw a movie with his name on it and enjoyed it less. And having seen movies of his without tampering are all I need to know that some mythical "Snyder-cut" garbage would be even worse than that.

BANNED

Whenever I have read it, I have disliked it. It's boring, overwritten, and Snyder is "trying too hard" to imitate a Grant Morrison "big weird idea" sensibility, which has him coming off as a cheap wannabe, which is really bad for any writer, but especially for a writer of his standing. It just doesn't seem authentic to me. The ideas are absurd, like the Still Force and Invisible Emotional Spectrum. I mean, just saying that out loud sounds very silly and not at all in an endearing fashion. Just silly. Ultraviolet Lantern? -___-

If I had to rate it, I'd give it 3 out of 10.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Wholly unimpressed. Far too bloated, overblown and grandiose for my liking. I'm probably going to drop this book soon as it's been more a chore than a pleasure to read.

Grade: 3 out of 10
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I saw a movie with his name on it and enjoyed it less. And having seen movies of his without tampering are all I need to know that some mythical "Snyder-cut" garbage would be even worse than that.
    Alright well back to my original point, you haven't seen his Justice league so you don't know if you enjoy it less

I got the first trade, and I'm buggered if I had a clue what was going on in it.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Alright well back to my original point, you haven't seen his Justice league so you don't know if you enjoy it less
    Jesus, whatever, dude. Keep clinging to your semantics. Zack Snyder's name's listed as the director on the Justice League movie that was released. It's his movie in the public eye, regardless of whatever transpired behind the scenes. And it sucks.

My enjoyment of this series skyrocketed once I stopped trying to read it bi-weekly. Now I wait for a story arc to wrap up and sit down for 5-6 issues, and it flows much better. Usually when I go this route it's because a series is too decompressed, but it's almost the opposite with this book -- Snyder has a lot going on, and I don't feel explanation and/or recapping events is a strength of his. So instead of trying to rack my brain to recall a small tidbit he casually referenced four issues ago, I'm actually following along.

I liked the latter half of Johns JL, but prior to that I haven't really enjoyed a JL run since those first 90-ish issues of Morrison/Waid/Kelly's JLA. So I would consider Snyder's take better than average, I guess?