Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: UXM 16 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Come on. Those were not real deaths and you know it. She’s never actually been killed off and taken off the table for years. A fake out cliffhanger is not that
    None of these deaths are "real"

"Actually" has nothing to do with the fiction does it? That's us. The actual.

Regardless "death" is not just one thing in fiction or life. Death is sometimes a character, sometimes a period of time, sometimes it's a plot device etc.

The 'Kill Off' or "Sacrifice" are versions of death in narratives.

No, I guess I don't discount Storm's figurative deaths as not being 'real' deaths. Real as any other death in X-Books...maybe even more viscerally, than most.

Super heroes dying isn't one thing, it's comparable to periods in life that mark complete transformation. Not everybody has them or believe in the ones they've had as 'death'...but yea, Storm dies and gets reborn. All heroes kinda do, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    what? for like 2 issues? these other characters died for years
    two issues, two years...in the comics or out of the comics. no major x-men character has been completely left for dead for years have they? even dead, they haunt and spook are mourned or returned in alternate form...Storm's figurative 'deaths' last forever. All fictional deaths do, they are incorporated into the after-death life of the characters and lives of the cast.
    Last edited by sungila; 04-19-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

you know cyclops, jean, logan, professor x and countless others have all died. Storm never has. they don't kill minority characters for drama stakes, they kill characters, of all races, for drama
    Synch, Skin, Risque, Tempo, Sunpyre, Feral, Shard, Kuan-Yin Xorn, Shen Xorn, Bedlam, and did you read Uncanny #11 or? Also, all the characters you listed are back and getting major upcoming roles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post

Regardless "death" is not just one thing in fiction or life. Death is sometimes a character, sometimes a period of time, sometimes it's a plot device etc.

No, I guess I don't discount Storm's figurative deaths as not being 'real' deaths. Real as any other death in X-Books...maybe even more viscerally, than most.

Super heroes dying isn't one thing, it's comparable to periods in life that mark complete transformation. Not everybody has them or believe in the ones they've had as 'death'...but yea, Storm dies and gets reborn. All heroes kinda do, don't they?

two issues, two years...in the comics or out of the comics. no major x-men character has been completely left for dead for years have they? even dead, they haunt and spook are mourned or returned in alternate form...Storm's figurative 'deaths' last forever. All fictional deaths do, they are incorporated into the after-death life of the characters and lives of the cast.
    Intriguing, clever and undoubtedly right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Synch, Skin, Risque, Tempo, Sunpyre, Feral, Shard, Kuan-Yin Xorn, Shen Xorn, Bedlam, and did you read Uncanny #11 or? Also, all the characters you listed are back and getting major upcoming roles.
    the characters i listed are major characters, that is why they have major roles. no disrespect to feral or bedlam fans, but they are not as integral to the mythos of the x-men as cyclops, jean, logan or colossus

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post

really? jean has been dead for 13 years and only recently came back

But Storm “dying” in a fakeout and back the next issue is on the same level

She was in a movie, she was in teen 05 Jean, she was in Scott, in Wolverine, Hope, in the reissues and re-reads and long bin discoveries, in everything. Her death is part of her life and a big part of everything the X-Men are since she walked into the mansion as "she's a girl" because we know what happens to the girl in comic books right? Well, Jean does die, but that's not all!

Do I need to talk about how Jean in death was and is very alive in X-Books always will be always has been? Jean in death is in Jean in life. And Gwen Stacy is Spider Gwen now. And that's good, but Spider Gwen is 'the Death of Gwen Stacy' her iconic death is dead and dies in the integrity of who she has become and who she is now is integral to what Spider-Verse has become and will be.

Death in modern day X-Books: Rosenberg's UXM begins with death, then two and twenty resurrections. UXM is all about death being origin and destination but not at all the fixed actual places or purpose of the characters and cast. It's not the point, but it's the whole idea of vengeance and grief and trauma and reconciliation and all that...characters doing cool stuff...it's about change...people gotta die for it, to die for it, death with a follow through.

"This will kill you." is today's "Hope you survive the experience."
    Last edited by sungila; 04-19-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Jean’s death is the only one that has narrative importance. Critics could argue she’s more important to the X-Men narrative dead. Fans will argue otherwise.

Jeebus sungila GETS IT.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-19-2019 at 04:50 PM.

I get on Twitter and all I read about is how great this issue was.
    Maybe its just me.
    Maybe Im like Stan on South Park who can only see ****.
    Is this epic storytelling that will rank up there with the Xmen tales of days gone by?
    Will I pick this up in how many volumes there will be in graphic form and my mind will be blown with how intricate the storytelling was?

Twitter(and comic book reviews sites) have super low standards. And besides that, the writers/editors/etc are only gonna be retweeting the positive comments/reviews, which is why going on Rosenberg's profile it looks like this issue is getting overwhelming praise.

Rosenberg just said on twitter that the next 2 characters that will die are men

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Maddox dupe and my spirit

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It's gotten dull now. When you're killing characters every other (if not every) issue, it becomes stale. This just seems more & more like a gimmick book with nothing to genuinely offer.

Step right up to see the newly resurrected Scott & Logan while I fridge as many C and B list characters as possible for attempted controversy.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 04-19-2019 at 07:16 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Twitter(and comic book reviews sites) have super low standards.

just like forums

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    It's gotten dull now. When you're killing characters every other (if not every) issue, it becomes stale. This just seems more & more like a gimmick book with nothing to genuinely offer.

Step right up to see the newly resurrected Scott & Logan while I fridge as many C and B list named-characters as possible for attempted controversy.
    It suuuuuuucks when non Alist repeatedly dying
    Buuuuut kinda exciting :/