Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: UXM 16 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    F**king seriously.

I don't know why writers can't mix it up some. Why do Scott and Logan always have to hang around one another? Why does Scott always have to be the leader?

Hell, this cast shows how writers are locked in. It could have been about Scott seeing how the next generation have grown. But instead, they're just warm bodies he orders around, don't act as foil and barely interact with.
    Scott get to be leader because he has traditionally been the leader and is the most obvious choice to be the leader narratively. There is no problem with Scott being the leader imo.The biggest problem is Scott hasn't evolved as a leader. X-men leader is a 3 part thing

1.Diplomat / aka representative head of mutant world politically
    2.Headmaster of School/ Guardian of the future generations of mutants
    3. Tactical Leader/ Leader of the mutant army

When Xavier is around,He fills 1 and 2. Cyclops generally fills the third one, Storm also fills that role quite a bit. The problem is when Xavier is not around Cyclops or whoever in charge picks up all 3 these and characters aren't build narratively to handle all of them effectively. When Cyclops was in revolutionary mode it was perfect it was new status quo for the X-men and it made sense him filling all three. But in a more peaceful time it is doesn't make sense for Cyclops to be talking with Captain America as diplomat because quite frankly he sucks at the moment and they haven't let mature enough to be calm leader who needs to have some give and take. That said this book had some signs that he was evolving. In a X-men book that evolves Cyclops would take on more diplomat type stuff and field leader things would be handled by another character. If I was doing it then Beast would be Headmaster,Jean Grey(or Kitty) would be Diplomat leader and Cyclops would be tactical leader and the X-men would have a 3 headed leader structure.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-23-2019 at 11:35 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I agree with the idea of the X-Men being, effectively, a three headed serpent. In my opinion, the three "heads" would be Jean as the diplomat, a well-written Kitty as the headmistress, and then the duo of Scott AND Ororo making up the tactical part of the head.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Scott get to be leader because he has traditionally been the leader and is the most obvious choice to be the leader narratively. There is no problem with Scott being the leader imo.The biggest problem is Scott hasn't evolved as a leader. X-men leader is a 3 part thing .
    I love how everyone seems to treat Scott as the leader as some damn law of physics.

A writer can take the logical narrative anywhere they want to go, if they put some effort into it first. If we can have Megatron as an autobot or Deadpool as a legit Avenger, we can have anything with some work.

Hell, it wouldn't even be that hard here. Scott realizes that his actions, and the actions of those who follow him (Emma) have escalated the conflict between humans and mutants. He feels that he should take a step back to reflect on how he can do better, handing leadership over to say, Dani, the next generation of mutants.

Now Dani has to lead the team, and feels the pressure of Scott always looking over her shoulder. And bonus, we have minority leader of a minority metaphor team.

Instead of doing what they've always done, crazy thought, lets try something new for the sake of drama?

Scott get to be leader because he has traditionally been the leader and is the most obvious choice to be the leader narratively. There is no problem with Scott being the leader imo.The biggest problem is Scott hasn't evolved as a leader. X-men leader is a 3 part thing

1.Diplomat / aka representative head of mutant world politically
    2.Headmaster of School/ Guardian of the future generations of mutants
    3. Tactical Leader/ Leader of the mutant army

When Xavier is around,He fills 1 and 2. Cyclops generally fills the third one, Storm also fills that role quite a bit. The problem is when Xavier is not around Cyclops or whoever in charge picks up all 3 these and characters aren't build narratively to handle all of them effectively. When Cyclops was in revolutionary mode it was perfect it was new status quo for the X-men and it made sense him filling all three. But in a more peaceful time it is doesn't make sense for Cyclops to be talking with Captain America as diplomat because quite frankly he sucks at the moment and they haven't let mature enough to be calm leader who needs to have some give and take. That said this book had some signs that he was evolving. In a X-men book that evolves Cyclops would take on more diplomat type stuff and field leader things would be handled by another character. If I was doing it then Beast would be Headmaster,Jean Grey(or Kitty) would be Diplomat leader and Cyclops would be tactical leader and the X-men would have a 3 headed leader structure.
    I agree that Scott is not the best diplomat in the world but he himself is aware of it, just as he is not a great headmaster, but in both things he used to trust Emma to take care of them. She was also the headmistress and in things like Civil War she was the one who communicated the neutrality of the X-Men.

As Logan said, Scott is a great general for times of war, but for peacetime I agree that there are others more suitable for the job.

I would put Jean as diplomat, Ororo as headmistress and Scott as field leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I agree that Scott is not the best diplomat in the world but he himself is aware of it, just as he is not a great headmaster, but in both things he used to trust Emma to take care of them. She was also the headmistress and in things like Civil War she was the one who communicated the neutrality of the X-Men.

As Logan said, Scott is a great general for times of war, but for peacetime I agree that there are others more suitable for the job.

I would put Jean as diplomat, Ororo as headmistress and Scott as field leader.
    when they moved to San Fran and their island, Scott was a pretty good diplomat.He met witht he mayor regularly. In Gillens run he worked with the avengers. In whedon's run he worked with shield. Scott can be a great diplomat if he wanted to

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    when they moved to San Fran and their island, Scott was a pretty good diplomat.He met witht he mayor regularly. In Gillens run he worked with the avengers. In whedon's run he worked with shield. Scott can be a great diplomat if he wanted to
    Yep. AvX was really a case of the writers dumbing down both Cyke and Cap America to make the story work.

I love how everyone seems to treat Scott as the leader as some damn law of physics.

A writer can take the logical narrative anywhere they want to go, if they put some effort into it first. If we can have Megatron as an autobot or Deadpool as a legit Avenger, we can have anything with some work.

Hell, it wouldn't even be that hard here. Scott realizes that his actions, and the actions of those who follow him (Emma) have escalated the conflict between humans and mutants. He feels that he should take a step back to reflect on how he can do better, handing leadership over to say, Dani, the next generation of mutants.

Now Dani has to lead the team, and feels the pressure of Scott always looking over her shoulder. And bonus, we have minority leader of a minority metaphor team.

Instead of doing what they've always done, crazy thought, lets try something new for the sake of drama?
    Just because you can change anything narratively does not mean you should do it. And fictional universes have history and logic and when you combine that with the ease and logistics of making a change means you should be selective in doing it. You can logically make Glob Herman leader of the X-men but it is not worth effort or writing gymnastics to make fans except it. I am not worshiping at the temple of Scott but the internal logic of the X-men narrative means that when he is around he is one of the best choices for leader and it takes very smart writing to change that around. I mean you quoted me and this was the last thing I posted

f I was doing it then Beast would be Headmaster, Jean Grey(or Kitty) would be Diplomat leader and Cyclops would be the tactical leader and the X-men would have a 3 headed leader structure.
    I literally suggested that 3 people should be the leader of the X-men. I kept historically dynamic of Cyclops being an important leader intact and created way for other people to have their chance in the spotlight as a leader. Going one step further they should be a fourth Leader, X-men operate in the light, They should always be a group in the X-men that would operate in the dark. "The Section" 31 of X-men people like Cable, Psylocke or Wolverine would be a good choice. Also, I would have a Muir Island school for gifted that means another leader. I don't have a problem with Scott being always being a big-time leader on the X-men, I don't have a problem when most of the X-men are together that storywise they look to him lead but what I am showing is Cyclops being the respected leader and that plenty of other people can chances to lead and it matters. In a way, we are saying the same thing I just don't think you need to change an establish a thing to accomplish it.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-24-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Ultimate Member

Just because you can change anything narratively does not mean you should do it. And fictional universes have history and logic and when you combine that with the ease and logistics of making a change means you should be selective in doing it. You can logically make Glob Herman leader of the X-men but it is not worth effort or writing gymnastics to make fans except it. I am not worshiping at the temple of Scott but the internal logic of the X-men narrative means that when he is around he is one of the best choices for leader and it takes very smart writing to change that around..
    Right now, it should be effortless.

After all the crap Scott either pulled, or is thought to have pulled (starting a war with the Inhumans), I can't think of a better time to have someone else step up as leader.

Instead of, 'lets do it this way because we've always done it this way'.

After all the crap Scott either pulled, or is thought to have pulled (starting a war with the Inhumans), I can't think of a better time to have someone else step up as leader.

Or "let the more experienced and capable person be in charge" ... if only people did this when they voted *sigh*. Also, we had more than half a decade with other people leading the X-Men, Cyclops dead for half that time. We had Wolverine, Storm and Kitty leading the team, and they sucked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Or "let the more experienced and capable person be in charge" ... if only people did this when they voted *sigh*. Also, we had more than half a decade with other people leading the X-Men, Cyclops dead for half that time. We had Wolverine, Storm and Kitty leading the team, and they sucked at it.
    Storm is a pretty good leader, Kitty could be too. They had bad lucky to get bad writers

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Storm is a pretty good leader, Kitty could be too. They had bad lucky to get bad writers
    Anyone can be written as a competent leader, even Toad. However, the last few years had other characters leading the team, and they sucked at it.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    And that's not even bringing up the fact that Jean led, successfully, up to the point that X-Man pulled out a deus ex machina. Let her do it, or I don't know, the one leader character on this team that hasn't really had a bad moment of leadership. Danielle Moonstar, come on up!
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    And that's not even bringing up the fact that Jean led, successfully, up to the point that X-Man pulled out a deus ex machina. Let her do it, or I don't know, the one leader character on this team that hasn't really had a bad moment of leadership. Danielle Moonstar, come on up!
    I wouldn't mind. Let the next generation led

because moving the school to limbo was a great idea. I'll stick with Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    because moving the school to limbo was a great idea. I'll stick with Scott
    Moving the school to the middle of Central Park was wonderful too, right?

Again, the best advertisement for Scott's leadership is the performance of Storm, Kitty and Wolverine in the last few years.