Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

foxley for the beautiful art... and for proudly standing up for artistic freedom and standing against prudish morality!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I vote Iron Maiden!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

And a vote for Stony and his Walt Simonson Batman

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Time to tally the votes!

1 vote each: Ajax_X, ed2962, Greg Hatcher, Javasaurus, kjn, LordMikel, Stony, TheDarknightDetective
    2 votes each: IronMaiden, Nschornhorst, seismic-2, ShallaBal, Tami, WestPhillyPunisher

and our winner with three votes----foxley!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Wow! Thanks everyone! This was an unexpected win.

New contest up soon.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Congrats to foxley! Thanks also for his voting of my own cover
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Congratulations, foxley! And thanks The Darknight Detective for the vote; I'll take 'em any way I can get them…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Congratulations foxley!

And thanks to Shalla Bal for the vote!
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

^^^^
    My pleasure, Javasaurus (even if the cover was soooo small...but I knew that Nature Boy cover by Buscema and I've always liked it a lot).

And thanks for the votes WestPhilly and seismic

And congrats foxley--Artemis and Apollo were my favorites in Greek mythology, I loved the twin sibling aspect. When I was a kid one Halloween I even dressed as Artemis (thanks to my mom who made me a really cool costume).
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 04-24-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Yay, foxley!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Congratulations to foxley who found a great wrap around cover which showcased Barry Windsor-Smith's talent to combine both power and exquisite detail in one picture. A truly great cover and one which made me happy I at least bought the Star Reach Classic reprints years ago.

And now, what has the captain learned this week? It's a tough call and he realizes that even though the shifting companies in so many field is more and more rampant, it always existed to some extent. We have seen some truly great covers this week as our talented posters have gathered the most beautiful covers by folks of work done outside an artist's usual Marvel haunt. Marvel obviously had an eye for talent.

Thank you to those who did not complain about my technically invalid entry. Well, questionable anyway. The Colan drawing was done as a commission piece and was only inked by Tom Palmer later with knowledge it would be used for the cover of a book. So Tom Palmer actively worked outside Marvel on this. But damn, my story in a book with a Gene Colan cover. Hell, I'm gonna post it.

Way to go, foxley!

Postscript:
    For this topic I was tempted to post Larry Lieber's work for the short-lived Atlas/Seaboard company, but I couldn't pass up John Severin.

Anyway, here is a cover penciled by Mr. Lieber and inked by Frank Giacoia. This particular issue also contains work by Archie Goodwin, Steve Ditko, and Alan Kupperberg.