Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low

Powered By Gravity

Default Low

I thought issue 1 was a great. It didn't try to explain everything to the reader, but just through conversation and action, the reader gets a good feel for the world and the characters. The family in this book is very likable. Looking forward to the next issue. This one ends on a great cliff hanger. What did you think?

I really liked the 1st issue. Then again I pretty much like anything that Remender writes. I am hoping in the upcoming issues we see the children's point of view as well as Stela's point of view. The art was amazing and quite possibly the best two page spreads I have ever seen. I stared at the pages for a very long time taking it all in.

Amazing Member Prince Disarming's Avatar

I'm going to have to dissagree with you, because I thought it wasn't very good.

*Spoilers*

Remender seems to be throwing out a lot of stuff out in this first issue. There's a underwater city, a search for other planets, a clan that founded this city that have suits that only respond to their dna, magical shells, giant squids, and pirates and this is told in flashback for no particular reason. All of this is sort of glazed over, because I don't feel like I have a good grasp of any of this just from these pages. The characters are fine, but I don't really feel an attachment to any of them and I don't feel much of anything when the father gets his eye ripped out. I also can't get behind this art style. It is very loose and I think that works to its disadvantage. Every panel seems to have these vagely futuristic looking organic shapes, but I'm not entirely sure what they are or what they do. Sometimes it can be difficult to ascertain what I am actually looking at. Some of the panels get quite muddy with to many similar shades of aqua or red to be able to easily tell what is in that panel. By the end it felt a lot like recycled parts from Black Science with the children in danger and the parents promising to save them. Clearly this is just not for me.

BANNED

didn't really enjoy this. which is surprising because i usually like apocalyptic sci-fi books and Remender in general.

then again, i didn't really like Black Science #1 either, but it grew on me later. so i'm giving this a few more issues.

Cant wait to pick up my copy of the first issue.

I thought it was very good. It was a lot to take in for the first issue but I'm sure he was trying to introduce as much as possible right away. It's for sure the start of a crazy world that is for sure. I'm anxious to read the 2nd issue now.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Disarming View Post

*Spoilers*

Remender seems to be throwing out a lot of stuff out in this first issue. There's a underwater city, a search for other planets, a clan that founded this city that have suits that only respond to their dna, magical shells, giant squids, and pirates and this is told in flashback for no particular reason. All of this is sort of glazed over, because I don't feel like I have a good grasp of any of this just from these pages. The characters are fine, but I don't really feel an attachment to any of them and I don't feel much of anything when the father gets his eye ripped out. I also can't get behind this art style. It is very loose and I think that works to its disadvantage. Every panel seems to have these vagely futuristic looking organic shapes, but I'm not entirely sure what they are or what they do. Sometimes it can be difficult to ascertain what I am actually looking at. Some of the panels get quite muddy with to many similar shades of aqua or red to be able to easily tell what is in that panel. By the end it felt a lot like recycled parts from Black Science with the children in danger and the parents promising to save them. Clearly this is just not for me.
    I agree with the criticism of the art in some places but story wise I liked that so much was thrown at the reader. He let it all out there, just giving some of the barest details and mentions of some things but showing how large in scope this new 'world' is. I really enjoyed it.
    www.grayhavencomics.com
    For Creators, By Creators

All-New Member

i thought it was a decent first issue

Quote Originally Posted by ratcatbo View Post
    i thought it was a decent first issue
    "Decent" as in 3.5/5 or 7/10?

Remender is hit or miss for me and, with the comments in this thread, I think I will wait until TPB 1 comes out instead of getting the singles. There are plenty of other series upcoming in September and October that I feel I will enjoy more and grab those in the singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Disarming View Post

*Spoilers*

I agree 100% the story was average and although I like the idea of trying something different with the art, it just didn't work. Far too cluttered and in some places just impossible to understand what was going on

I loved it. Tocchini's art was amazing, story wasnt bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    I agree 100% the story was average and although I like the idea of trying something different with the art, it just didn't work. Far too cluttered and in some places just impossible to understand what was going on
    I have to agree with the reviewer regarding the art. It did not work for me at all and did not get me immersed in the world that Remender was creating. Tocchini's art may look great as a painting on the wall but it didn't work here. I was thinking today how someone like Goran Parlov's art in Starlight really sucked me into the world he was creating. I never once felt that way here with the art in LOW. I am very lukewarm on the first issue at best. I'll give it another issue or 2 to see if it grows on me but I may have to drop it from my pull, had such high hopes for this.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I actually think Tocchini's art is the perfect fit for a book like this. Not many people know what's on the bottom of the ocean and the abstractness shows how different the world is down there.

Cover to LOW #6:

wow.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Cover to LOW #6:

wow.
    What an utterly gorgeous cover!