View Poll Results: Is Bendis' run worth a read?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd recommend it

35 62.50%
  • Nope, stay away!

21 37.50%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I think what Bendis did was a bush league move to create drama in Clark's and Lois's relationship!! Not telling her husband she was back on earth and hiding in a hotel room!! Does trivialize their relationship!!
    Lois and Clark's relationship has not been trivialised, and Clark was perfectly OK with the new status quo after he and Lois reunited.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-22-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Superman isn't street level. Action Comics is the Daily Planet/Metropolis focused title and it's been pretty great. I like seeing the character focused Clark Kent, Daily Planet stories as much as the crazy bigger screen "Superman" stories. Daily Planet/Metropolis stories have been as much "Superman" as punching aliens and fighting monsters, etc. You get both with this run.
    To me, that's the biggest problem with the Bendis run, though. Instead of getting a good balance of Daily Planet/Clark Kent/Metropolis "on the ground" stuff AND high flying, super powered action in both books or even in ONE book, he separates both concepts straight down the middle and only does one or the other in each book. And it REALLY hurts Action (which most people oddly think is the better of the two), because it makes the stories move at a snail's pace and feel way too pedestrian for Superman. They might as well just make Action Comics a Metropolis Special Crimes Unit monthly, or just change the cover title from Superman: Action Comics to Clark Kent: The Daily Planet. I'm not saying that character development and supporting casts aren't important, but it's sad that "Action Comics" hardly has ANY Action in it at all.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 04-22-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    Well this run seems... controversial by the looks of that poll. But then again Superman fans never seem to agree with each other on anything. I'll check it out when there are a few more TPBs of it.
    The poll seems to point more towards a clear majority liking it with a sizable minority disliking his run. So business as usual for Superman lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Why are so many people listing SUPERMAN being reduced to STREET LEVEL crime stories as a plus?!? I think that's a TERRIBLE, BORING, and incredibly RESTRICTIVE status quo for one of the most powerful characters in all of comics. If Bendis wanted to do street level stories so badly, then he should have talked DC into letting him write Batman instead (which I'm sure they will eventually put him on at some point as a regular writer). Or better yet, let him go write the Question, who he seems so fond of.
    Why is a street level Superman a bad thing? Not everything has to be about pointless “feats” and power level bull crap. They did plenty of that during the New 52 and it was boring. H’el was extremely strong and had an over the top plan but no one really cared because he was dull. Lois and Clark is one of Jurgen’s best works and that’s extremely small scale for Superman. If you want the over the top stuff that’s in Superman. If you want Superman in Metropolis stories that’s in Action. It’s two different books for two different audiences.

Also Leviathan just took out all the secret organizations on the planet. That’s a pretty big accomplishment and they also targeted Sam Lane which means Supes is definitely going to take an interest. I see no reason why Superman wouldn’t be involved. And furthermore what’s the point of Metropolis if no one actually tells stories in it or explores how it operates as a city?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The poll seems to point more towards a clear majority liking it with a sizable minority disliking his run. So business as usual for Superman lol.

Why is a street level Superman a bad thing? Not everything has to be about pointless “feats” and power level bull crap. They did plenty of that during the New 52 and it was boring. H’el was extremely strong and had an over the top plan but no one really cared because he was dull.
    I emphatically agree. I'm a huge fan of the Golden Age, I keep thinking that the New 52 should have done much, much more with the street level than they did, and while I like cosmic level Superman on occasion, I also think it's important that he take that street level perspective with him no matter where he goes. Superman, Golden Age style, is from the street level. That's where his earliest adventures took place. Nothing there could hurt him, which is probably why he didn't stay there, but it's still good, I think, to keep those roots in mind.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well it does get hilariously weird. Like this Lois situation (which I know not everyone dislikes, but it's a tough hill to die on) is a way of mustering tension, and in the old days they would briefly do the same type of thing in a way by having some guy shove him out of a window sill or something.

The dedication of each title to a type of story is very interesting. By not just doing random stories across each is extremely practical, cost and time effective. If you like one over the other, or both, you win. It's easy to get: bombastic spreads from Reis and his group while Bendis hammers home the humble, pleasant heroics of the character; or a pretty but moody crime mystery with a large and humorous supporting cast.

Although if you don't like where one is heading early on, I can't say that either title has what it will probably take to win you over. But I still feel like plunging into a trade will be the best choice because on the chance that you do like it, you don't wanna be stuck waiting.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

It's ok in my opinion, but reads much better in trade.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Why are so many people listing SUPERMAN being reduced to STREET LEVEL crime stories as a plus?!? I think that's a TERRIBLE, BORING, and incredibly RESTRICTIVE status quo for one of the most powerful characters in all of comics. If Bendis wanted to do street level stories so badly, then he should have talked DC into letting him write Batman instead (which I'm sure they will eventually put him on at some point as a regular writer). Or better yet, let him go write the Question, who he seems so fond of.
    I agree with you 150 %!! I really disliked the truth arc, I hated how they powered him down!! Superman should be able to go toe to toe with the most powerful villains in the DC universe!!