View Poll Results: Is Bendis' run worth a read?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd recommend it

35 62.50%
  • Nope, stay away!

21 37.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It really depends. Those that liked the Rebirth dynamic of Superman and the family, became pretty put off by the drastic shift Bendis threw in on multiple levels. Those that were neutral or not excited about the Rebirth direction of the Super books seemed to have bought into it.

Personally, as someone that had never read Bendis before, and gave it a shot, I was really put off by all of the changes he made. Many of which were unnecessary in the grand scheme.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Start with Action #1001. Superman is dealing more with the previous status quo and how it factors into the present, but frankly Action is the superior book. The first six issues were just released in trade so you can get them all in one neat package off your local store or preferred online retailer.

I'm really enjoying it thus far. For what it's worth, I loved what happened before Bendis and I've been a fan for a long time. It's different, but so far it's been a solid ride. The one hitch thus far is Lois, who Bendis hasn't mastered the voice of and Bendis occasionally lapses into the oft-mocked "Bendis speak," but that's not exclusive to his Superman work so just be aware his usual quirks work their way in from time-to-time.

I recommend it.

Its definitely his best work in years. He has a great handle on Clark's voice, and amazingly he's actually getting the sci-fi/cosmic stuff right, which I've rarely seen from him. He uses Clark's powers in interesting ways, and the art is top notch, as Bendis' titles always are. He's done more with Metropolis than anyone has since the 90's, and he's made the supporting cast matter again. Action is the better book, but Superman really gets into the crazy cosmic stuff, and between the two I have a well rounded and interesting Superman to read about.

I dont think he's got Lois' voice quite right, and I've questioned a lot of his creative choices. And his main villain still hasn't impressed me. But Bendis is still selling it and doing right by Superman and his mythos, as far as I'm concerned.

Your mileage may vary of course.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think Action is the more expected book given Bendis' bibliography, but I think each month has a fair chance of either book outdoing the other. Granted that can come from one issue being worse instead of just better, but it's more good stuff than bad. The worst I see is that he sometimes seems to forget what he's writing and does random, stock dialogue of his very particular style. But if you take that in stride and probably binge read so that you get more story out of his decompressed style, you'll probably like it.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Since you're okay with "Bendis speaking" then you could jump on aboard I'd say.
    If you're a fan of what Tomasi and Jurgens had established then you're at the wrong place since he ignores the hell out of it. lol.
    If you're a fan of 10 y/o funny, endearing Jon, yeah, without spoiling it, let's just say he isn't enjoyable any longer.
    If you're in for bland new villains (whose motives and such are apparently explained Supergirl's book?) then sure.
    If I were you I'd just give both Superman/AC first volumes a shot and if it's nothing for you then I'd drop it because it's not going to be miraculously better.

The Question is great.... Sorry... I mean Action
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Fantastic Member

Aside from the things that just made me angry, I didn't see what a lot of people see in this run other than the "voice" of Superman. I don't think that's enough reason to read it, which is why I stopped.

Also, from what I saw, these books move at a glacial pace. Doomsday Clock has more real-time plot advancement and it takes off a couple months between issues. Just a warning if you don't like slow books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I recommend it.

Its definitely his best work in years. He has a great handle on Clark's voice, and amazingly he's actually getting the sci-fi/cosmic stuff right, which I've rarely seen from him. He uses Clark's powers in interesting ways, and the art is top notch, as Bendis' titles always are. He's done more with Metropolis than anyone has since the 90's, and he's made the supporting cast matter again. Action is the better book, but Superman really gets into the crazy cosmic stuff, and between the two I have a well rounded and interesting Superman to read about.

I dont think he's got Lois' voice quite right, and I've questioned a lot of his creative choices. And his main villain still hasn't impressed me. But Bendis is still selling it and doing right by Superman and his mythos, as far as I'm concerned.

Your mileage may vary of course.
    Same. Couldn't have said it better.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Having collected Superman and Action for over 30 years and suffered through some truly bleak and dismal writers and artists, I would very much recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Same. Couldn't have said it better.
    Dude! What's up? How's DCUO going for you? Tried the new content? I haven't tried any of it yet; semester has been wild and Overwatch is taking all my gaming time.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd recommend it.

It's not perfect: Lois's voice is dodgy but has been improving from what I've seen and Rogol Zarr is still "meh." But everything else has been solid to great. Superman is a great larger than life book, and Action is great for the street level stuff. And his set up is allowing for Rucka to write a Lois book, and I am totally there. Jimmy getting his own series is wonderful too and we (again) wouldn't have it without Bendis.

I read the first two trades of Rebirth, and it didn't catch my interest. I am therefore not that attached to Jon and think Jor-El even being alive is stupid as ****, so I don't mind him tooling around with the former and cannot blame him for the latter.

Fantastic Member

I think Lois living in a hotel room and not living with her husband is just plain wrong!!

For sure. After Rebirth nearly ruined the characters, they’re finally back on track.

Incredible Member

Not a fan. I really liked the family dynamic that was established with Rebirth and Bendis pretty much threw that out the window.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I think Lois living in a hotel room and not living with her husband is just plain wrong!!
    This is a sore point for me as well still, I try to enjoy other things about the run.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."