View Poll Results: Is Bendis' run worth a read?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd recommend it

35 62.50%
  • Nope, stay away!

21 37.50%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Is Bendis' run worth a read?

I haven't read Supermna comics in a while and I've previously liked most of Bendis' Marvel work (most of what I've read was his street level stuff like Ultimate Spider-Man, not Avengers or anything). Is the current run worth reading? And how do you read it in trade?

BANNED

Bendis has his hiccups, but it's generally beleieved his run on Action Comics is leaps ahead of what he's done on Superman so far as a lot more plot has been advanced over the last few months compared to how slow everything is on the other book. I'm trying to give it a fair shake, but I'm not keen on the new rules he has for Lois and Clark and there is of course the matter of what's been done to Jon.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I recommend it.

For your tastes, I'd maybe recommend Action Comics 1001 and on because that's pure street stuff. But I do think you might greatly appreciate Superman because that has a lot of really focused character work in the same taste as Ultimate Spider-Man and his street stuff. It's scale is huge, yes, it's anchored by keeping us in Clark's head via internal monolog. You'll also likely really dig his Event Leviathan book coming up that spins out of Action Comics. It's got Lois as one of the main leads, but Superman is off-world.

The first trades for both Action and Superman are out now, I think. Well, I know Superman is, but I'm slightly unsure if Action is. Start with the Man of Steel (2018) trade (6 issue long prologue with great art), and then get Superman, Action, or both.

Hope you have a good time with whatever you decide on.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'd recommend it as well. If you're more a fan of Bendis' street level stuff Action and the upcoming Leviathan will be right in that niche. And if you're not a huge prior Superman fan, you'll probably have little to no issues with some of the more controversial elements of his run.

There are trades out of the first 18 issues, and it definitely reads better in trade, though they all kind of abruptly end without really resolving any of the main mysteries. All three are really set up arcs for his storylines. Man of Steel 1-6 is in Man of Steel. Superman #1-6 is collected in Superman: Unity Saga Vol. 1, and Action Comics 1001-1006 is collected in Action Comics: The Invisible Mafia.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'd strongly recommend it. It's not without it's faults and hiccups,but Bendis is doing some of his best work since his early Ultimate Spiderman days.Plus you have a heck of a roster of artists all over his run..
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-17-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I'm lukewarm on his run thus far, but sure it is worth a look I'd say.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Boring villains, unlikable protagonists, plot holes, lots of poor characterization, comic relief/humor rarely lands, and crappy pacing. Overall his run just comes across as half assed, like his heart really isn’t in it so he’s just phoning it in. Can’t recommend it.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I recommend it.

I was impressed how Bendis nailed Superman's Voice. Superman is also confident and has his feats. The pacing can be off with the story but so far I'm happy with it.

Astonishing Member

Action is probably one of my favorite books at the moment. I'm not sure if I've ever said that about a Superman book in my life.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

No middle choice?

It's not the best. It's not the worst.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    No middle choice?

It's not the best. It's not the worst.
    My thoughts exactly. I too wish there had been a middle choice for the poll, oh well...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I quite enjoy his work right now. As someone who isn’t really attached to the Rebirth Superman status quo you might enjoy Bendis more than others. As others have said, I recommend Action Comics, it’s focused on Superman in Metropolis, has a very “street-level” feel to it. Bendis’ Man of Steel mini acts as a prologue to his current runs, it explains how the current status quo care to be. However I think you can skip it and just pick up Vol. 1 The Invisible Mafia of Bendis Action if you want.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    I haven't read Supermna comics in a while and I've previously liked most of Bendis' Marvel work (most of what I've read was his street level stuff like Ultimate Spider-Man, not Avengers or anything). Is the current run worth reading? And how do you read it in trade?
    Since you haven't read Superman in a while it might read better to you than it does for longterm readers. Most of my problems with it are personality shifts from what came before and some of the transition between status quos. If you aren't attached to young Jon Kent then Bendis' use of him might not be a problem. If you don't have a set concept for Lois' voice you won't be pulled out of the story by the dialogue between her and Clark.

The stories aren't great in my eyes and some of that is just Bendis-being-Bendis, but if I was approaching this the same way I approached his Ultimate Spider-man and not as someone messing with my favorite character I can see these stories being more enjoyable.

Recommended. Both are pretty good.

Superman for the big, super adventures. It’s been fun.

Action Comics for Metropolis thrillers. One of the best titles DC is putting out.

The different directions for each title is fantastic. You get a little bit of everything and they both have their own feel.

I recommend it as well. The art is beautiful and worth the price of admission alone, but Bendis is also killing it on both.