View Poll Results: Is Bendis' run worth a read?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd recommend it

35 62.50%
  • Nope, stay away!

21 37.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'll admit, I read just Bendis' The Man of Steel miniseries and stopped there, because I hated it from start to finish, and I didn't feel any more optimism that I would come to like Bendis' Superman after the last issue than I had after the first issue. The first issue itself, I was already going "oh, here we go, I hate it. Clark is really, really bland again." Like, one of the things I liked about the New 52 was that Superman had a backbone and felt really cool, and even after Rebirth, I felt more okay with the loss of the New 52 Superman because the Rebirth one still had that same attitude of being occasionally a little bit of a roughneck or a little impulsive. When Bendis picked it up, I felt like I was back in the era of mopey Superman.

It's entirely possible that it's all been uphill from there, but aside from occasionally peeking inside the books when I visit the shop, I don't know. The mini just made such a bad impression on me that it's hard for me to justify spending my money on what might just be more of the same.

That said, because I didn't read beyond the mini, I've opted not to vote. I don't think it would be quite fair. After all, I legitimately haven't read Action or Superman, the two books advice was requested about.
    Last edited by Adekis; 04-18-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Dude! What's up? How's DCUO going for you? Tried the new content? I haven't tried any of it yet; semester has been wild and Overwatch is taking all my gaming time.
    Hey, man! Doing good - been really busy, but got to play the new content a little bit for a day or two. It's fun! Atlantis is hard to top, but this is really good!

Don't know if I'd said, but I made a LOT of changes to my Fortress of Solitude - using the Brainiac base style now, since it has more rooms in it.

I hear you on other games taking up my time, though - I've been addicted to Hyrule Warriors, Octopath Traveller, and UnEpic on the Nintendo Switch - cheap AND fun, lol!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Incredible Member

I'm not reading SUPERMAN but I am reading ACTION COMICS, I went in to it very cautiously, actually expecting to be disappointed (after he seemed to become jaded by his Marvel work) but I've been pleasantly surprised at how well he is writing the title.

I aso like the WONDER COMICS imprint and wonder if a change has breathed new life into Bendis' writing.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Hey, man! Doing good - been really busy, but got to play the new content a little bit for a day or two. It's fun! Atlantis is hard to top, but this is really good!

Don't know if I'd said, but I made a LOT of changes to my Fortress of Solitude - using the Brainiac base style now, since it has more rooms in it.

I hear you on other games taking up my time, though - I've been addicted to Hyrule Warriors, Octopath Traveller, and UnEpic on the Nintendo Switch - cheap AND fun, lol!
    Nice! Man, I haven't played anything, other than a little Overwatch (and I went through a Skyrim kick over semester break. Yes, Skyrim, and it's still amazing). Got Final Fantasy XV last October and have played a total of five minutes. Got Kingdom Hearts 3 the day it came out, and still haven't even opened it yet. Stupid adult responsibilities!

Oh, I did manage to finish Spider-Man.....though I haven't got any of the DLC's.

Next time I log into DCUO, I'll check your base out. I'm totally jealous of how good the last one looked; it really felt like the Fortress. Way better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I aso like the WONDER COMICS imprint and wonder if a change has breathed new life into Bendis' writing.
    I definitely think the new company and new IP's was a big benefit to Bendis' writing. I mean, by the time he left Marvel he had tackled pretty much every major character they have, a whole bunch of lesser known characters, and invented more than a couple of his own. I wouldn't blame him for being burned out. His health scare, which slowed down his DC debut, likely had a role too. Almost dying is probably something that really gets the creative juices flowing, right? And supposedly he's always been a big Superman fan (I dunno how true that is since I dont follow creators on social media) but looking at what he's done I believe it.

So....something of a perfect storm, perhaps (not that almost dying is perfect, but you get my meaning).

In any case, I'm just very glad that his Superman work (and the Wonder line) is as good as it is. I've become pretty cynical lately but I was willing to give Bendis a little faith from the get-go, and not having that blow up in my face was really nice.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'll admit, I read just Bendis' The Man of Steel miniseries and stopped there, because I hated it from start to finish, and I didn't feel any more optimism that I would come to like Bendis' Superman after the last issue than I had after the first issue. The first issue itself, I was already going "oh, here we go, I hate it. Clark is really, really bland again." Like, one of the things I liked about the New 52 was that Superman had a backbone and felt really cool, and even after Rebirth, I felt more okay with the loss of the New 52 Superman because the Rebirth one still had that same attitude of being occasionally a little bit of a roughneck or a little impulsive. When Bendis picked it up, I felt like I was back in the era of mopey Superman.

It's entirely possible that it's all been uphill from there, but aside from occasionally peeking inside the books when I visit the shop, I don't know. The mini just made such a bad impression on me that it's hard for me to justify spending my money on what might just be more of the same.

That said, because I didn't read beyond the mini, I've opted not to vote. I don't think it would be quite fair. After all, I legitimately haven't read Action or Superman, the two books advice was requested about.
    Clark is not very mopey at all in the two ongoings. We’ve seen him be happy, angry, concerned, etc, but thankfully Clark is always active whatever his mood. He’s not the New 52 firebrand (sadly I doubt we’ll see that guy any time soon) but both Rebirth Superdad and now Bendis Superman aren’t as prone to naval-gazing as Post Crisis Superman could get at his worst.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I think Lois living in a hotel room and not living with her husband is just plain wrong!!
    So long as they still love and support each other, she can do whatever she wants. It's part of Bendis 'modern family' philosophy, it's to prove they don't need to be joined at the hip to be as strong as they usually are, and it's an interesting experiment and a way of pleasing people who don't read these books for overly sappy mush (and this is coming from someone who normally loves overly sappy mush)

I will only say it's wrong if it turns out to be a long-term status quo, I think we're going to get at least another year out of it because of Lois' maxi-series, which is fine, but let's get back to normal afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    For sure. After Rebirth nearly ruined the characters, they’re finally back on track.
    Rebirth didn't 'ruin' anyone, and Bendis' strengths have been working on what was established with Rebirth.

Astonishing Member

Short answer: Yes, it's worth a read. It's not perfect. Some of Bendis' ideas are worth a look. He's dropped the ball a bit with the Superman villain being so generic and his reasoning for aging up Jon and the consequences thereof but it's not such a dumpster fire if you're willing to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Nice! Man, I haven't played anything, other than a little Overwatch (and I went through a Skyrim kick over semester break. Yes, Skyrim, and it's still amazing). Got Final Fantasy XV last October and have played a total of five minutes. Got Kingdom Hearts 3 the day it came out, and still haven't even opened it yet. Stupid adult responsibilities!
    I know, right? I've been playing Skyrim again, too (got it cheap in November in the Switch digital store and hadn't been able to play it). I played the heck out of it on the PS3 - it even killed my old "Phat PS3" lol!

Oh, I did manage to finish Spider-Man.....though I haven't got any of the DLC's.

Next time I log into DCUO, I'll check your base out. I'm totally jealous of how good the last one looked; it really felt like the Fortress. Way better than mine.
    Haven't played Spider-Man yet, but it does look really good!

On the Fortress, it needs a lot more base items from the last Christmas/Holiday decor, but you can see where it's going, and it puts my old Fortress model to shame.

And if you haven't seen the Brainiac or Atlantean bases yet, you'll love them. The water effects, especially.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    So long as they still love and support each other, she can do whatever she wants. It's part of Bendis 'modern family' philosophy, it's to prove they don't need to be joined at the hip to be as strong as they usually are, and it's an interesting experiment and a way of pleasing people who don't read these books for overly sappy mush (and this is coming from someone who normally loves overly sappy mush)

I will only say it's wrong if it turns out to be a long-term status quo, I think we're going to get at least another year out of it because of Lois' maxi-series, which is fine, but let's get back to normal afterwards.

Rebirth didn't 'ruin' anyone, and Bendis' strengths have been working on what was established with Rebirth.
    Except anyone with even the barest bit of knowledge about Lois would know she's quite capable on her own. And the reasons given for it are, well, just as bad as the Jon age-up and what not. Lois wrote a successful book series, was a mom, a crack reporter, and a great better half to Clark all WITHOUT having to live on her own to "have some space". And keeping it hidden she returned? Not to mention almost immediately after leaving?

There's a number of problems with how Bendis has handled Lois. The only thing I'm glad for right now, is that Rucka will be taking over her character so she doesn't sound and feel so off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Except anyone with even the barest bit of knowledge about Lois would know she's quite capable on her own. And the reasons given for it are, well, just as bad as the Jon age-up and what not. Lois wrote a successful book series, was a mom, a crack reporter, and a great better half to Clark all WITHOUT having to live on her own to "have some space". And keeping it hidden she returned?
    At no point in my previous post did I say anything about this being "proof" Lois could handle things on her own, I said this was proving Lois and Clark don't need to be together all the time to still be depicted as a strong supportive couple, that distance is no barrier between them. I hate that more conservative fans are trying to trivialise what they have now as a "booty call" and whatnot, they're still a family and there's plenty of fun banter and love shared between them even in the books now.

As for not telling him she was back, Lois was overwhelmed out in space by her husband's reputation and wanted to put all of her thoughts on that onto paper as soon as she got back with no distractions or ackwardness, especially when on top of that she'd just left her son in space. The space is required in order for her to sort her family out and do what is best for them and the world or even universe. She's thinking about the bigger picture rather than her own happiness.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-21-2019 at 01:09 AM.

Spectacular Member

Well this run seems... controversial by the looks of that poll. But then again Superman fans never seem to agree with each other on anything. I'll check it out when there are a few more TPBs of it.

I think its worth a read but I'd probably wait for the trade to come out first. To me Bendis's solo issues feels thin so your better off reading it in bulk.

Fantastic Member

I think what Bendis did was a bush league move to create drama in Clark's and Lois's relationship!! Not telling her husband she was back on earth and hiding in a hotel room!! Does trivialize their relationship!!

Why are so many people listing SUPERMAN being reduced to STREET LEVEL crime stories as a plus?!? I think that's a TERRIBLE, BORING, and incredibly RESTRICTIVE status quo for one of the most powerful characters in all of comics. If Bendis wanted to do street level stories so badly, then he should have talked DC into letting him write Batman instead (which I'm sure they will eventually put him on at some point as a regular writer). Or better yet, let him go write the Question, who he seems so fond of.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 04-22-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Why are so many people listing SUPERMAN being reduced to STREET LEVEL crime stories as a plus?!? I think that's a TERRIBLE, BORING, and incredibly RESTRICTIVE status quo for one of the most powerful characters in all of comics. If Bendis wanted to do street level stories so badly, then he should have talked DC into letting him write Batman instead (which I'm sure they will eventually put him on at some point as a regular writer). Or better yet, let him go write the Question, who he seems so fond of.
    Superman isn't street level. Action Comics is the Daily Planet/Metropolis focused title and it's been pretty great. I like seeing the character focused Clark Kent, Daily Planet stories as much as the crazy bigger screen "Superman" stories. Daily Planet/Metropolis stories have been as much "Superman" as punching aliens and fighting monsters, etc. You get both with this run.