Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yeah I just saw that. Very sad, but at least they got to end it on their own terms

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wow, I always imagined this book going on ad infinitum but I guess all good things must come to an end...

At least the creators are ending it on their own term, and I hope Erica comes back for the final issue in some form. I wonder if they'll relaunch it immediately with a new creative team or just wait a while until the write creative team and premise comes along?

I wouldn't be shocked if they bring in a new team ass soon as North wraps up.

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
    ��

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wow, I always imagined this book going on ad infinitum but I guess all good things must come to an end...

At least the creators are ending it on their own term, and I hope Erica comes back for the final issue in some form. I wonder if they'll relaunch it immediately with a new creative team or just wait a while until the write creative team and premise comes along?
    She'll be doing at least the cover. We know because she's always kept doing them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Maybe it’s because she is the new Daredevil and taking over that book

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

This is really sad news for us, indeed. The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl was one of the three remaining Marvel characters I follow. She is unusual, almost unique in the Marvel world, cheerful and smart. She's had a remarkable wonderful series and I'll always be happy to go back and re-read it. Hey, Doreen, here's cheers to ya!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Confirmed in the August solicitations.

I love this book. I will miss it. The magical combination of creative team and tone produced one of the most entertaining and fun books Marvel has EVER published. It combines silliness a child could enjoy with fannish trivia and quirks that long time fans can also enjoy. It laughs WITH comic book tropes, not at them.

I wonder if the next iteration of Squirrel Girl will be this good, or if we'll ever see North and Henderson tackle that character again.

Astonishing Member

I hope the end of this book doesn't mean that Chipmunk Hunk and Koi Boi are going to be forgotten to comic limbo now. Doreen is popular enough that I don't think we need to worry about that happening to her anytime soon, but I worry for Ken and Tomas.

I'd love to see North give them a spin-off miniseries or even a one-shot to try and help raise the profile a bit, but I doubt such a project would get approved (unfortunately). But at the very least I hope we get to see them turn up here and there in other titles--show them in the background for big group scenes like the battles in War Of The Realms, etc. Give them a one-page cameo in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, helping Spidey against one of his villains. Etc. Anything to help keep them from being forgotten.

Sadly supporting characters linked to a solo book do usually end up being forgotten once the book ends, or even just changes creative teams. Nancy may end up appearing alongside Doreen sometimes, especially if they pop up in, say, Loki's new book, since Loki was more Nancy's friend than Doreen's anyway, but I dunno about the rest... I can't think of any other connections Koi Boi and Chipmunk Hunk made outside of Squirrel Girl's main cast of characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Sadly supporting characters linked to a solo book do usually end up being forgotten once the book ends, or even just changes creative teams. Nancy may end up appearing alongside Doreen sometimes, especially if they pop up in, say, Loki's new book, since Loki was more Nancy's friend than Doreen's anyway, but I dunno about the rest... I can't think of any other connections Koi Boi and Chipmunk Hunk made outside of Squirrel Girl's main cast of characters.
    They haven't made any particularly deep connections outside of the SG cast as of yet, but they have at least been given the opportunity to make a few appearances. They appeared in an issue of NEW AVENGERS, fighting alongside Doreen's New Avengers teammates against A.I.M. And they had a brief appearance in the first MARVEL RISING miniseries, where Chipmunk Hunk had a geek-out moment when meeting Ms. Marvel.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm sad to see the book go, but I'm so glad it had such a nice, long run. I mean, 58 issues in today's market is one hell of a win. And assuming it was still quite successful and only really ended because North decided to wrap up his story, I think it's entirely possible it'll get a quick relaunch like Ms. Marvel did. It would definitely be a challenge for any writer to follow up on the clever mythology/narrative North established around Doreen and her supporting cast, but I do think it's fair to continue to publish these characters if there is still a market for them.

Changing the subject a little, does anyone else think the New Warriors TV show has probably been cancelled? It's been what, 2 or 3 years already since the announcement? I know they've gotten as far as casting and even shooting a Pilot, but it wouldn't be the first time a show with a Pilot doesn't get greenlit. I just think it's weird they wouldn't have found a place to air the show by now when Marvel TV has already announced new TV shows to come on Hulu. Plus, I would assume most actors from the show would be moving on to other projects by now, 'cause you know, they need jobs. It kinda sucks that Doreen's debut in the MCU might've been cancelled, but I would be ok with that if it meant they get to still use her in some other way in the MCU. While I wasn't against the idea of her being a New Warrior, I would prefer if she got her own TV show OR started out as a Great Lake Avenger. Plus, now with Disney+, I do prefer if she gets to be produced by Marvel Studios, which would mean a show with a better budget AND that actually gets to be relevant to the MCU.

If they did a few "team-up" mini series to follow the ongoing, what team-ups would you like to see?

I can definitely see Doreen showing up in Kamala's Marvel Team-Up title. The two are already friends from the Marvel Rising comics.

Other than that, Wiccan and Hulkling. After New Avengers ended, the three could easily formed a new team - Doreen, of course, stayed on as a U.S.Avenger instead.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I can definitely see Doreen showing up in Kamala's Marvel Team-Up title. The two are already friends from the Marvel Rising comics.

Other than that, Wiccan and Hulkling. After New Avengers ended, the three could easily formed a new team - Doreen, of course, stayed on as a U.S.Avenger instead.
    But, doesn't Squirrel Girl have the same problem Kamala has? Isn't she a radically different character depending on what book you read her in? Marvel Rising and U.S.Avengers Squirrel Girl are so different...
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest