Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Doreen redux: Squirrel Girl Appreciation 2019

Doreen Green needs an appreciation thread and she needs it NOW!

Cuz these squirrels are known Yahtzee hustlers.

OMG. she never got her thread rebooted before now?!

Anyway, I love Squirrel Girl, one of my must reads every month.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Let's see, all the Marvel Comics I get (after decades of following Marvel, these are what I'm left with...): West Coast Avengers...uh, nope, gone. Dr. Strange, [Immortal] Hulk, (both from possibly misplaced nostalgia), Captain Marvel (although, she's...changed...from her recent initial series), annnnd...Squirrel Girl, because it's wonderful: fun, fantastic, funny, clever, intelligent, quirky, looks (looked) unlike every other Marvel comic, and by gum, Doreen Green TALKS her opposition down more often that beating them down. Jeez, how incredibly refreshing! And I sure as hell appreciate it.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Let's see, all the Marvel Comics I get (after decades of following Marvel, these are what I'm left with...): West Coast Avengers...uh, nope, gone. Dr. Strange, [Immortal] Hulk, (both from possibly misplaced nostalgia), Captain Marvel (although, she's...changed...from her recent initial series), annnnd...Squirrel Girl, because it's wonderful: fun, fantastic, funny, clever, intelligent, quirky, looks (looked) unlike every other Marvel comic, and by gum, Doreen Green TALKS her opposition down more often that beating them down. Jeez, how incredibly refreshing! And I sure as hell appreciate it.
    We've talked about this in the past, but the book is a wonderful combination of silly and inspirational. It backs the right action without being preachy. It also laughs WITH many of the long-time comic book tropes that we all realize exist. And the jokes are there for long-time fans as well.

"I say thee hek nay" was worth the entire cost of the current issue.

I really love Squirrel Girl. I have recently ordered the volume 9 TPB. I am really happy that her series has been lasting this long!

Mighty Member

I'm so grateful for every issue. It's such a beautiful thing to see each new trade go up on my shelves. When it launched I thought "Hopefully I'll get 18 issues, but it will probably be six". Ten trades later and it's still going! It's now not only one of my favorite comic series ever but one of my favorite works of fiction, period, ever.

I'm hoping that being part of the War of Realms crossover brings new eyes onto the series.

I don't know who used Ratatoskr first, whether it was North and Henderson in SG or Walt Simonson is Ragnarok, but that character is perfect for this book. Even the trend to bring more admirable qualities to Loki work so well here. I'm not crazy about close tie-ins between USG and the rest of the Marvel Universe as Doreen's stories have a flavor all their own and outside characters have a distinctly different flavor here than they do elsewhere.

But I trust the team to be able to pull this story off and maintain the awesomeness of the book.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't know who used Ratatoskr first, whether it was North and Henderson in SG or Walt Simonson is Ragnarok, but that character is perfect for this book. Even the trend to bring more admirable qualities to Loki work so well here. I'm not crazy about close tie-ins between USG and the rest of the Marvel Universe as Doreen's stories have a flavor all their own and outside characters have a distinctly different flavor here than they do elsewhere.

But I trust the team to be able to pull this story off and maintain the awesomeness of the book.
    I'm with you on being uncertain of how much I like the interactions with the larger MU. Although I do like that it is happening in her own book, with her own writer. It lets it keep that distinct flavor you mentioned. I'm kind of weirdly protective of Doreen appearing outside of her own book. Sometimes it's just ok, like in New/USAvengers, and other times she gets some really nice moments like in No Surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

I don't know exactly where I read this, but I have vague recollection back when the first Ratatoskr story was happening of North saying that when he discovered there was a Norse mythological squirrel, and it had never been used in the MU before, he HAD to jump on it, because obviously. So no, I don't think Ratatoskr was from Simonson's run. If she appeared before, it was in some minor cameo capacity, and North had free reign pretty much.

I agree about the ties to the MU, sort of. Like, with Kraven. it was sad to see that largely ignored in the more recent Spider-Man stuff. (which i have otherwise liked) I mean i wasn't expecting the Kra-Van or anything, I fully expect that any character that appears in Squirrel Girl will be treated in a more lighthearted manner, and that's fine, but... still... I understand that Squirrel Girl is a distinct tone, but it is still part of the MU, so to have things that happen in it not be acknowledged is a bit jarring. at least the Loki stuff was acknowledged, and generally lines up, probably because it does line up with the face turn thing that he's been doing anyway. Also, the Asgard stuff and Squirrel Girl share the same editor. I also love her friendship with Tony, and would not want that to go away even if it is never ever referenced in his own book. but yes, some more acknowledgement of things in her book would be nice, there may be some hope with Loki's new solo. They acknowledged Cat Thor in the main Thor book, if only for a background cameo, so... and Kibblesmith is als more of a comedy kinda guy and based on things he's said, that will carry over so the tones may line up.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-22-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I don't know exactly where I read this, but I have vague recollection back when the first Ratatoskr story was happening of North saying that when he discovered there was a Norse mythological squirrel, and it had never been used in the MU before, he HAD to jump on it, because obviously. So no, I don't think Ratatoskr was from Simonson's run. If she appeared before, it was in some minor cameo capacity, and North had free reign pretty much.

I agree about the ties to the MU, sort of. Like, with Kraven. it was sad to see that largely ignored in the more recent Spider-Man stuff. (which i have otherwise liked) I mean i wasn't expecting the Kra-Van or anything, I fully expect that any character that appears in Squirrel Girl will be treated in a more lighthearted manner, and that's fine, but... still... I understand that Squirrel Girl is a distinct tone, but it is still part of the MU, so to have things that happen in it not be acknowledged is a bit jarring. at least the Loki stuff was acknowledged, and generally lines up, probably because it does line up with the face turn thing that he's been doing anyway. Also, the Asgard stuff and Squirrel Girl share the same editor. I also love her friendship with Tony, and would not want that to go away even if it is never ever referenced in his own book. but yes, some more acknowledgement of things in her book would be nice, there may be some hope with Loki's new solo. They acknowledged Cat Thor in the main Thor book, if only for a background cameo, so... and Kibblesmith is als more of a comedy kinda guy and based on things he's said, that will carry over so the tones may line up.
    I was actually talking about Walt Simonson's book for IDW called Ragnarok, not his marvel Thor run.

As for the continuity and connectedness, the relationship of the characters is great, although with Nightmare and Cout Nefaria, I'm reasonably certain these aren't exact 616 versions. I also don't believe Galactus made Doreen on the Stark network. It's the balance of downright silly and "you know, they would actually get along better" that I love about this book.

I certainly have no desire to argue with people who see or want to see a tighter continuity between this and the other books, but agree with them on it? "I say thee hek nay!" And I could see Loki actually saying this even with the hek for a more polite version of an oft-used Asgardian phrase.

I am not looking for ironclad tight continuity, I am usually pretty forgiving on that front (especially with really old continuity) and totally get that some things in these sillier books like Squirrel Girl or Howard the Duck can't be really part of continuity, like the Galactus on twitter, or making a comic for her zine, and I am not arguing they get rid of these elements, but... at the same time just some acknowledgement that her book exists in the same universe and she's had some kind of impact on it would be nice, is all.

and yeah, totally cool with 'Hek nay'
    Last edited by Raye; 04-22-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I am not looking for ironclad tight continuity, I am usually pretty forgiving on that front (especially with really old continuity) and totally get that some things in these sillier books like Squirrel Girl or Howard the Duck can't be really part of continuity, like the Galactus on twitter, or making a comic for her zine, and I am not arguing they get rid of these elements, but... at the same time just some acknowledgement that her book exists in the same universe and she's had some kind of impact on it would be nice, is all.

and yeah, totally cool with 'Hek nay'
    I get that. The best exchanges here come about when two people who both love a book but have differing opinions can express and see where the other person's coming from.

"world-threatening crisis like every summer."

"I'm sure it's now every summer."

I LOVE this book.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman