Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't think the character is that different, she's still the team player who prefers to use words, not brawn, to solve conflicts. How she's drawn certainly is though, as Ewing's books depicted her with longer hair (bobbed instead of cropped). Incidentally, it wouldn't surprise me if any new SG solo changed her hair to the much longer Rising hairstyle. Doreen's canonically seen what that looks like thanks to her AU twin, and she liked it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

What's most peculiar about the changes to Doreen's appearance, title by title, is that I first picked up her first issue BECAUSE she looked so different from all the other Marvelized woman heroes. That, and, of course, when Thor, Hulk, Cap--EVerybody-- was frowning or growling off their covers, Squirrel Girl was smiling. Two differences that made me pick up that issue one, and stay and stay and stay.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Many people say the Punisher should smile more.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    What's most peculiar about the changes to Doreen's appearance, title by title, is that I first picked up her first issue BECAUSE she looked so different from all the other Marvelized woman heroes. That, and, of course, when Thor, Hulk, Cap--EVerybody-- was frowning or growling off their covers, Squirrel Girl was smiling. Two differences that made me pick up that issue one, and stay and stay and stay.
    Yeah, totally agree. Her appearance let me know it wasn't going to be a typical Marvel book and the content totally backed that up. I am disappointed she's become more typical as time has gone on but hopefully the artist of the new ongoing (that I am totally assuming will be coming) goes back to her look that Henderson created.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Yeah, totally agree. Her appearance let me know it wasn't going to be a typical Marvel book and the content totally backed that up. I am disappointed she's become more typical as time has gone on but hopefully the artist of the new ongoing (that I am totally assuming will be coming) goes back to her look that Henderson created.
    Doreen's look in the North book is great. Her body is what you'd expect for a squirrel powered heroine. Her legs are thick and powerful and the rest of her body appears to have enough muscle to enable her career. I think she's an attractive woman. Is her face "classically attractive", perfectly symmetrical with an absence of flaws? Nope. But she's a heroine with good morals, faith, and optimism.

It would be a mistake to give her a smooth Hollywood face and a normal mouth and teeth. The longer hair, I could go with. Granted hairstyles are a common trope among women characters in most media, but I could see her trying it.

And there is going to be a new series. Speculation on my part, sure, but I'd bet on it.

I'd like to see a new book by Chris Hastings, personally. He can do a sort of similar tone and I think he'd get the spirit of the character really well

Gwenpool's original writer? Good suggestion. What would you think if he was reunited with Gurihiru too? You can see what their Doreen would look like on some Marvel Rising variant covers.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'd be fine with Gurihiru on art, though I've come to really like Derek Charm with the current run, it may be worth keeping him there to offer some sense of continuity between runs, though a clean break may be called for. Either way I think it needs to be someone with a light and kind of cartoony style. Squirrel Girl grabbed an audience that is outside of the mainstream, which is something I think should be preserved, and I think it would be best to not alienate them too much by going in a drastically different direction in terms of styles.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Doreen's look in the North book is great. Her body is what you'd expect for a squirrel powered heroine. Her legs are thick and powerful and the rest of her body appears to have enough muscle to enable her career. I think she's an attractive woman. Is her face "classically attractive", perfectly symmetrical with an absence of flaws? Nope. But she's a heroine with good morals, faith, and optimism.

It would be a mistake to give her a smooth Hollywood face and a normal mouth and teeth. The longer hair, I could go with. Granted hairstyles are a common trope among women characters in most media, but I could see her trying it.

And there is going to be a new series. Speculation on my part, sure, but I'd bet on it.
    Agreed on all fronts. Imo Henderson's look should be the template for all adaptations. In a lot of cases I think the appearance of the character is less important and I'm cool with lots of different interpretations but I think her muscular build and non-supermodel appearance are a key part of the character.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I'd like to see a new book by Chris Hastings, personally. He can do a sort of similar tone and I think he'd get the spirit of the character really well
    Hastings would be a great choice. I'd also love it if Marvel could bring Marc Russel over from DC. He's really good at blending fun comics with smart comics and can put forth some themes and messages without being intrusive and preachy.

https://www.newsarama.com/45737-thor...the-stage.html
    Doreen's got a stage play script. Interestingly, the promotional artwork uses her Rising design.

https://marvelspotlightplays.com/

At first this seemed kinda random and weird, but the more i think about it, the more i see it's actualyl kinda brilliant. My niece would have such a blast with something like this if they did it at her school, and in the process it introduces all the kids in the class to the Marvel characters, and like, pair this with one of the book drives that has some Marvel trades? brilliant.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    At first this seemed kinda random and weird, but the more i think about it, the more i see it's actualyl kinda brilliant. My niece would have such a blast with something like this if they did it at her school, and in the process it introduces all the kids in the class to the Marvel characters, and like, pair this with one of the book drives that has some Marvel trades? brilliant.
    Agreed! Super cool idea and whoever came up with it deserves a raise. I love the characters they chose to start with, too, not just on a personal level but because it shows a dedication to supporting them. Especially love the willingness to acknowledge that there are tons of areas they can be popular besides the monthly direct market.

And hey, it looks like Henderson did the art for the Thor/Loki one!
    Last edited by Daniel22; 06-25-2019 at 08:08 PM.

It looks like she did the art for all three actually. Looks like editorial mandated the use of the Rising design though... I get the feeling that when Unbeatable is relaunched, Doreen will have suddenly have grown her hair long - though that has actually been set up with Allene already adopting the look and Doreen saying she liked it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It looks like she did the art for all three actually. Looks like editorial mandated the use of the Rising design though... I get the feeling that when Unbeatable is relaunched, Doreen will have suddenly have grown her hair long - though that has actually been set up with Allene already adopting the look and Doreen saying she liked it.
    I could definitely see that. Not my preference but not a big deal either. I guess synergy was inevitable... If the tradeoff for exposure in other mediums is cosmetic changes, I'll take it.