Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Did the anti-Grayson/pro-Jason Todd sentiment come from Frank Miller?

I got the impression that Miller favored Jason over Dick with his Dark Knight work.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    If you want me to list the differences that define wally from Barry I'd be happy to when I get home.
    I’d love to read your opinion on the subject. Can you post it on the Wally appreciation thread if you have the time ? Not sure if a Didio thread is the best place to talk about it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I’d love to read your opinion on the subject. Can you post it on the Wally appreciation thread if you have the time ? Not sure if a Didio thread is the best place to talk about it.
    Any thread would be better to have that discussion than a Wally appreciation thread, the latter being a recipe for, yet again, the interminable Barry-Wally brush fire.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Any thread would be better to have that discussion than a Wally appreciation thread, the latter being a recipe for, yet again, the interminable Barry-Wally brush fire.
    i respectfully disagree. We said it numerous times before, but most of Wally aficionados love Barry Allen as well. Again, it’s not the subject of this thread, and maybe the other users don’t want this Didio topic to become another Flash thread, that’s why I thought it would be better to talk about it somewhere else.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I'll say this about Dan Didio: he's a FANTASTIC supervillain, and apparently, doesn't mind playing the role.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    In Didio’s defense he positions himself as a lighting rod even though he’s probably not responsible for every bad creative decision or mishap.
    He really does. And I respect the man for being willing to take the heat instead of trying to claim innocence. That's a serious bro move right there.

Take Ric for example. I’m not sure that’s on him more so the the current Bat office and the books actual current editors, but he seems to get most of the blame nevertheless.
    Hard to tell from this side of things how involved he is with the approval of any particular storyline. The guy likely doesn't go through every pitch, script, and issue before it's released, he's gotta keep his eye on the bigger picture. But I subscribe to the business theory that sh*t flows uphill. Even if Didio (or any other manager) didn't directly approve of a business decision/story idea, they approved and hired the people who did. So that mid-level editor who decided to do something truly stupid? That's still on upper management for putting that guy in the position he's in. And this includes WB too. Didio answers to someone at WB. I dunno who that is. But that person is just as culpable as Didio is, if not more so, for the mistakes Didio has made and/or allowed those below him to make.

In the case of Nightwing, the line really gets blurred because Didio's been so public about his dislike of the character and his attempts to remove Dick Grayson are a matter of public record. But, let's say Didio had nothing to do with any of this. He's still the guy, ultimately, who has let it continue despite the horrible reviews, fan outrage, and the sagging sales (though any other book would've crashed and burned by now, which is a testimony to Nightwing's popularity and the fan loyalty he creates). Combined with his public opinion on the character, it doesnt paint Didio in a good light and I think it would require a whole lot of mental acrobatics to avoid putting any blame on Didio for the "Ric" fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I'll say this about Dan Didio: he's a FANTASTIC supervillain, and apparently, doesn't mind playing the role.

Did he post that himself?

Say what you will about the man, but he loves to laugh at himself. I think he's overseen several different scenes in various DCU stories where a character gets a look at the real world, and it's always the DC offices with Didio and co. planning some awful, horrible thing and laughing manically about it. There was a story where Superboy Prime attacked the DC office for screwing with him and making him a villain, and I want to say Didio wrote it?

Dude's got a sense of humor, and doesn't mind playing into the negative image fans have of him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    i respectfully disagree. We said it numerous times before, but most of Wally aficionados love Barry Allen as well. Again, it’s not the subject of this thread, and maybe the other users don’t want this Didio topic to become another Flash thread, that’s why I thought it would be better to talk about it somewhere else.
    I understand and, if all posters were like you, there would be no problems. Unfortunately, as a mod here for quite a few years now, I can say with 100% certainty some posters here are not like you.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yeah, but if your plan succeeds, you'll be even more hated than Didio.

Maybe. Maybe I'd be universally loved. I take chance!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    I was always told when you have nothing nice to say to not say anything at all.

I heard it this way: "If you have nothing nice to say, come sit by me."

Amazing Member

Has it ever come out which issue of 52 he wrote?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Did the anti-Grayson/pro-Jason Todd sentiment come from Frank Miller?
    more evidence that Miller is just the best

I reckon Dan has dirt on those above him so he ain't going nowhere! 🙄

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No, not every DC fan likes the legacy aspect. I'm a huge DC fan like everyone else here, but I don't really care for the whole legacy thing. All my favorite characters are originals (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, seriously I love the trinity). Nightwing is okay, but I've never felt like he was all that interesting or special, unlike seemingly EVERYONE else here (I don't hate him like Didio obviously, I'm just a bit indifferent to Dick Grayson).

Not every reader is looking for the same thing from DC, not all fans are the same.
    I like Nightwing a little more than you do, but otherwise, I agree with everything you said. Legacy is an overrated aspect of DC Comics, and as someone who grew up with Post Crisis, one of the things that makes me happy is that the Dan Didio era did bring back some of the silver age characters.

To me, its not so much that Dan has favoritism towards what he grew up with, and more like picking the most iconic or marketable version of the character in his eyes. Sometimes, that means picking silver age Hal over Bronze Age John or Post Crisis Kyle. And sometimes, it means having Jaime Reyes, a new character, as the main Blue Beetle over Ted Kord.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No, not every DC fan likes the legacy aspect. I'm a huge DC fan like everyone else here, but I don't really care for the whole legacy thing. All my favorite characters are originals (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, seriously I love the trinity). Nightwing is okay, but I've never felt like he was all that interesting or special, unlike seemingly EVERYONE else here (I don't hate him like Didio obviously, I'm just a bit indifferent to Dick Grayson).

Not every reader is looking for the same thing from DC, not all fans are the same.
    Even if you yourself are not interested in that aspect, I think it is fair to note that it is something that attracts a lot of people to the DC Universe. Like you said, different people look for different things.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-19-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Super4Ever View Post
    Has it ever come out which issue of 52 he wrote?
    #50. It was the WWIII issue.
    Cheers - CL