Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
Results 526 to 531 of 531
  1. #526
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I agree with this, however I think the effort has been hamstrung by being too tied creatively to the established DC output. If the goal is to reach new demographics, then you need not only market channels that can reach those demographics, you also need products that appeal to them. The Walmart titles were e.g. stymied by the super-long-form tales they had to include. If I noted that an issue contained one part 3 of 7, one part 5 of 12, one part 6 of 6, and one self-contained tale, I'd likely look for something else.
    Absolutely, agreed on all counts (not just the quoted part here, I just cut the rest to save space). I think what we're looking at is the industry un-learning what it knows. DC is slowly figuring out how to find those new readers beyond the direct market but apparently old habits die hard. Especially when the bulk of the company is still working under same systems and infrastructure they've had for decades and the established consumers are still the bulk of your revenue stream.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    As I said, the business and moral part of it is irrelevant. It might not be right or optimal but it is what it is and nobody who can stop him is stopping him. And as you (rightfully) understand that nothing you say on the internet will change this, there is no real need to keep going round in circles about this.
    We're discussing Didio's business decisions but the business part of it is irrelevant? Come on man. I've enjoyed bouncing this debate back and forth but yeah, we can be done with it.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-11-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  2. #527
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    We're discussing Didio's business decisions but the business part of it is irrelevant? Come on man. I've enjoyed bouncing this debate back and forth but yeah, we can be done with it.
    Yes because Didio has made decisions that are bad for business and nobody at DC has stopped him. For what it's worth, this back and forth has been interesting.
    PLUS ULTRA!

  3. #528
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Yes because Didio has made decisions that are bad for business and nobody at DC has stopped him. For what it's worth, this back and forth has been interesting.
    Yeah I dont think we actually disagree on much, if anything, really. You're just more willing to accept the bad decisions than I am.

    See, this is my bias. I take serious issue with it when people who should know better ignore what appears to be proven business practices. It means that either they know so much more than I do that they've circled around me completely, from bad business theory back around to good......or they're being allowed to ignore stuff I've spent years and a lot of money learning about, which is really uncool. And if they know more than me I want to know those things too, because I love this crap.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  4. #529
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Yes because Didio has made decisions that are bad for business and nobody at DC has stopped him.
    Because the people with more authority than he does don't care about the publishing side whose profits are tiny. Merchandising and licensing for auxiliaries especially for movies and tv shows is where the real money is at.

  5. #530
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    I just opened up Under the Moon—A Catwoman Tale. On the secondary credits page, I count no less than twenty VPs: executive, senior, or just plain VPs.

    Is it just me, or is that about fifteen or so too many? It almost seems like DC has more VPs than editors… Seven have "marketing" as one of their buzzwords, and then there is one with "content strategy" which sounds like marketing under another name.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  6. #531
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,805

    Default

    Art by committee.

    Hell of a double edged sword.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •