Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Default Spider-Man: Life Story #2

Oh, wow. Get your hands on this one ASAP, folks. This takes things to the next level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Oh, wow. Get your hands on this one ASAP, folks. This takes things to the next level.
    Just read it. Holy s*it. We do not deserve Chip sometimes. He's arguably the best new modern Spidey writer since Bendis.

spoilers:
    Best. Clone Saga. Ever
    end of spoilers

Holy god this issue was insane!!!!

Spectacular Member

This means that there is a Ben Reilly, maybe there is a Kaine too who kill Helen, but god, they made it all work in it's own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathangoop1811 View Post
    This means that there is a Ben Reilly, maybe there is a Kaine too who kill Helen, but god, they made it all work in it's own way.
    And it was so good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathangoop1811 View Post
    Ben PARKER. Something tells me he won't be becoming Scarlet Spider.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

...Also, if this wasn't a clear enough indicator Chip really loves the final twist of the 90s animated Spider-Man cartoon....

This issue was pretty great although the reveal at the end reminds me how much I hates clones. And I was technically right that Gwen will die this issue. Surprised about Sue leaving Reed for Namor guess the fantastic four is disbanded. Can't wait for them to explain Secret Wars and maybe introduce Black Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Surprised about Sue leaving Reed for Namor guess the fantastic four is disbanded.
    Aside from working really well from a characterization standpoint, it's probably also an homage to WHAT IF? #1.

BANNED

Said before, will say again. Best. Clone. Saga. Ever.

And again I absolutely didn't see that coming. It takes some genius to do ASM #121-122 in a way that is surprising, that hits the beats, and yet manages to dodge the fridging stuff.

Wow, this took a solid nosedive. May's married to Doc Ock, Sue left Reed for Namor, why do they have to take the horrible ideas from canon and make it reality? And they technically only told one year worth of story? So many things... off-panel. And just the general feel, I can't explain it, but I just didn't like it.

Don't think I want to continue reading this anymore.

Astonishing Member

I don’t feel anywhere near as negative as SpiderClops about #2, but I was a lot more mixed about it than #1. There were some elements I really liked, and some stuff I really didn’t care for. The stuff I didn’t care for... Peter’s deep burn about Namor to Reed didn’t have enough build-up. I know he was tired and upset, but it still was too much of a “well, that escalated quickly” moment. And the stuff at the end with Harry going from a coked-out mess to suddenly a competent Goblin, and the Gwen clone stuff was confusing. I also wasn’t sure whether the real Peter had also been kept in the stasis tube along with the real Gwen. Anyway, it was a lame way for her to die compared to her real death. Also, why is the clone calling himself “Ben Parker”? Why not just Ben Reilly? Anyway, it wasn’t bad. It was an enjoyable read with some irritating characterization and not-great story beats. If the first issue was a 9/10, then this one was a 7/10 imo. Will definitely still pick up the next issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Wow, this took a solid nosedive. May's married to Doc Ock, Sue left Reed for Namor, why do they have to take the horrible ideas from canon and make it reality? And they technically only told one year worth of story? So many things... off-panel. And just the general feel, I can't explain it, but I just didn't like it.

Don't think I want to continue reading this anymore.
    The first issue also told a year of story and that went well for Chip. As for the off-panel elements: there's no way to cover the entire decade in one 40 page AU book. That's asking for too much.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Wow, this took a solid nosedive. May's married to Doc Ock, Sue left Reed for Namor, why do they have to take the horrible ideas from canon and make it reality?.
    Renew Your Vows had Jean leaving Scott for Wolverine too.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I don’t feel anywhere near as negative as SpiderClops about #2, but I was a lot more mixed about it than #1. There were some elements I really liked, and some stuff I really didn’t care for.
    According to an interview Chip did on a podcast, his original plan was to do a mini-series for each decade, but Marvel told him it'd take too long.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I don’t feel anywhere near as negative as SpiderClops about #2, but I was a lot more mixed about it than #1. There were some elements I really liked, and some stuff I really didn’t care for. The stuff I didn’t care for... Peter’s deep burn about Namor to Reed didn’t have enough build-up. I know he was tired and upset, but it still was too much of a “well, that escalated quickly” moment. And the stuff at the end with Harry going from a coked-out mess to suddenly a competent Goblin, and the Gwen clone stuff was confusing. I also wasn’t sure whether the real Peter had also been kept in the stasis tube along with the real Gwen. Anyway, it was a lame way for her to die compared to her real death. Also, why is the clone calling himself “Ben Parker”? Why not just Ben Reilly? Anyway, it wasn’t bad. It was an enjoyable read with some irritating characterization and not-great story beats. If the first issue was a 9/10, then this one was a 7/10 imo. Will definitely still pick up the next issues.
    The Peter in the stasis tube was a clone designed on the orders of Norman Osborn.