Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Agreed on the whole! AUs have a ton more freedom and aren't beheld to years of continuity.
    or need to perpetuate a status quo.

i mean, if my wife had flirted with namor that many times over the years, i'd practically ask her to go and give it a go with him at least once just so i could stop hearing about it
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

I’m glad that they’re finally addressing the “Reed Richards is Useless” trope.

It’s what made events like OMD so infuriating to me.

While it’s not hard to understand not trusting people with world-ending technology, the way superheroes horde it makes them seem more elitist than thoughtful.

They finally managed to regrow Conners’ arm!

You seem exceedingly angry about this whole thing, and it's kind of uncomfortable.
    Did that how I come across as? Hmm. Well, I'm not really angry. I'm a bit upset, but not really angry.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    just a tad awkward, yeah

personally, i like the feeling that almost anything can happen in the AU...and a lot of it, even unexpected, just makes sense

here, the writer gets to actually explore concepts to a logical conclusion instead of the perpetual limbo that they say long form superhero story telling has to conform to. and being an AU, it hurts nobody
    Agreed on the whole! AUs have a ton more freedom and aren't beheld to years of continuity.
    Uh... that's exactly why most AUs are crap. Just doing random things.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    hrm, it's not that random though is it? it's not like peter spontaneously became a gerbil or aunt may was killed by a giant foot falling out of the sky

there's historic and continuity precedent for whats happening in this book.

if it is simply going to follow 616 exactly, why even bother?
    troo fan or death

hrm, it's not that random though is it? it's not like peter spontaneously became a gerbil or aunt may was killed by a giant foot falling out of the sky

It's not random in the slightest. Zdarsky has a massive charge of compiling 57 years of Spider-Man history and pare in into six 40 page issues. That's a lot, and I don't believe it's easy. But thus far, he's doing an excellent job. He's incorporating real world elements and the Spider-Man mythos into one, making it feel more plausible than even the original stories. We'll see where it goes, but random is not how I'd describe this book.

I'm not asking for it to follow 616. But most of the diversions I didn't like. The only thing I liked was Peter and Gwen getting married.

I'm not asking for it to follow 616. But most of the diversions I didn't like. The only thing I liked was Peter and Gwen getting married.
    You know what, that's fine. This may not be for you then.

personally, i like that things don't always work out in this continuity, making it feel 'real life' without necessarily being bleak or grim and gritty. it seems you're after developments that are more to your liking...and more..."positive"?

that may be the way the series ends up wrapping. who knows?
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

You’re not completely wrong. A lot of AUs can fall into the trap that since it’s an AU, the author is allowed to kill everyone in the story which they wouldn’t have been allowed to do otherwise(I’m looking at you Ultimatum), but this one seems like the author actually cares what happens to characters, so it’s ok.

Im not trying to antagonise but if, to you, they are crap, why read. What is it you want. The idea of being an alternative universe is to do different things. If you want to read the standard then go back and re read ASM from the beginning.

Again. Im not trying to be a dick. I just don’t get all the negativity coming from you about this. You should be happy that Spidey is doing well enough as an IP that we get these other stories.

WOW! Issue one was solid but this issue took it to another level. I can’t believe I was originally going to skip this event as I have been enjoying the hell out of this.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Im not trying to antagonise but if, to you, they are crap, why read. What is it you want. The idea of being an alternative universe is to do different things. If you want to read the standard then go back and re read ASM from the beginning.

Again. Im not trying to be a dick. I just don’t get all the negativity coming from you about this. You should be happy that Spidey is doing well enough as an IP that we get these other stories.
    i'm personally mystified, but y'know...taste is a funny thing. i think 'clops should feel free to express his dislikes and subjectivity (but also accept that people will respond).

i'm sure he'll throw in the towel if his lack of enjoyment continues.

actually, i do remember some peeps on this board admitting to hate-reading comics. i mean, if that's how you want to spend your hard earned $ and precious life blood...by all means...
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post

Um, I don't read most AUs. I read the premise and summery, decide that it sounds horrible, and don't read it. I only read it if it sounds promising. This one did, and I liked the first issue. But the second one I thought was garbage. And I already said in the very first post that I don't think I'll continue this. I also gave up on RYW because it was loosing its charm.

That’s cool man. I, for one, love this. Perhaps you will find issue three more appealing.