Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Do you guys think the Vietnam Iron Man & Captain America conflict is a pre-cursor to the civil war of this universe?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I also gave up on RYW because it was loosing its charm.
    For me, the only downside to RYV was marrying Logan off to Jean and us skipping eight years just so a grown up Annie could fulfill her destiny in Spidergeddon. Everything else about it was fine.

As evident by the Spider-Verse concept, Spider-Man is better suited for AUs than a lot of other Marvel characters are.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    hrm, it's not that random though is it? it's not like peter spontaneously became a gerbil or aunt may was killed by a giant foot falling out of the sky
    (hums Monty Python theme)

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I get the feeling that Issue #3, even though it's advertised as adapting Secret Wars, will have a Civil War tint to it. Instead of a cosmic game of Heroes vs Villains, it'll be Team Cap vs Team Stark.
    Well, it seems as though the Civil War is already happening on some level, with Giant-Man joining in. Zdarsky is folding elements from future storylines into past eras. But I think you might be right. The 'secret wars' could in fact be Stark and Rogers fighting each other by proxy in the Cold War spy climate.

Also if I had to guess, I'd say the 80s will feature Mayday Parker in some capacity. Peter will retire after she's born or it will be revealed in the 90s issue that he retired to be a better father. 90s cover shows him out of shape.

The cover implies some kind of take on Kraven's Last Hunt. Interesting note, with Peter and Richards on the outs, Peter might not discover the symbiote's true nature until much later. Wonder if KLH occurs with him wearing (or even bonded) to the symbiote.

One question issue #2 leaves unanswered: did Peter leave the Gwen clone, did she leave him, or was it a mutual decision? Gwen's clone was the one who broke things off definitively in the 70s comics, but Peter was already leaning toward MJ at the time and just needed the push to move forward with his life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    One question issue #2 leaves unanswered: did Peter leave the Gwen clone, did she leave him, or was it a mutual decision? Gwen's clone was the one who broke things off definitively in the 70s comics, but Peter was already leaning toward MJ at the time and just needed the push to move forward with his life.
    It's not made clear when exactly the clone switched the real Gwen. But re-reading it, I think it happened recently. Norman Osborn sends Harry to check on Warren because he said that he heard reports that Warren was extending himself beyond what was initially commissioned from the Goblin. This thing called the Gemini Project.

So I think the switch was more recent. And when the Gwen clone realized she was a fake and that the real Gwen died, I guess Peter would be too full of grief and guilt and regret for there to be any sense of a relationship.

And I think the Ben Parker clone was someone closer and more compatible with her. So in a way Peter and Gwen did get a happy ending of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    For me, the only downside to RYV was marrying Logan off to Jean and us skipping eight years just so a grown up Annie could fulfill her destiny in Spidergeddon. Everything else about it was fine.

As evident by the Spider-Verse concept, Spider-Man is better suited for AUs than a lot of other Marvel characters are.

(hums Monty Python theme)
    ding! someone had to catch the reference

and the covers are beautiful. interior... i’m not a fan of bagley’s work, but i can overlook that here.
    Last edited by boots; 04-18-2019 at 06:08 AM.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    That’s cool man. I, for one, love this. Perhaps you will find issue three more appealing.
    I think he's pretty much done with this series.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Well, it seems as though the Civil War is already happening on some level, with Giant-Man joining in. Zdarsky is folding elements from future storylines into past eras. But I think you might be right. The 'secret wars' could in fact be Stark and Rogers fighting each other by proxy in the Cold War spy climate.

Also if I had to guess, I'd say the 80s will feature Mayday Parker in some capacity. Peter will retire after she's born or it will be revealed in the 90s issue that he retired to be a better father. 90s cover shows him out of shape.

The cover implies some kind of take on Kraven's Last Hunt. Interesting note, with Peter and Richards on the outs, Peter might not discover the symbiote's true nature until much later. Wonder if KLH occurs with him wearing (or even bonded) to the symbiote.

Secret Wars is for sure going to be a mix of the awesome space adventure and Civil War. One thing I've been thinking is that the "secret war" could be a cover up for the Civil War between Cap and Iron Man.

"Yeah, we went into space and fought some beyonder guy. But really, we were fighting each other."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    "Yeah, we went into space and fought some beyonder guy. But really, we were fighting each other."
    That's kind of what Secret Wars 2015 amounts to. Cap and Iron Man spend the last moments before the final incursion beating the stuffing out of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's kind of what Secret Wars 2015 amounts to. Cap and Iron Man spend the last moments before the final incursion beating the stuffing out of each other.
    And it was awesome!!

BANNED

And it was awesome!!
    And that was the last we ever saw of Superior Iron Man. It never got resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And that was the last we ever saw of Superior Iron Man. It never got resolved.
    That's right, because Bendis came on board and ignored it.

BANNED

Captain America played a major part in the first SECRET WARS. He was the leader of all the heroes and the one who faced off Doom at the end. Hickman's Secret Wars made that Richards since that served his story and larger run. In SECRET WARS 1984, Cap and Richards are aligned and Reed is kind of Cap's Quartermaster or second-in-command, whereas post CIVIL WAR, Reed became Lackey/Enabler to Tony Stark, all through that Illuminati crap.

So Zdarsky is already signalling his love for Secret Wars in the first two issues.

That's right, because Bendis came on board and ignored it.
    He did address Secret Wars in the Infamous Iron Man series with Doom though.

Captain America played a major part in the first SECRET WARS. He was the leader of all the heroes and the one who faced off Doom at the end. Hickman's Secret Wars made that Richards since that served his story and larger run. In SECRET WARS 1984, Cap and Richards are aligned and Reed is kind of Cap's Quartermaster or second-in-command, whereas post CIVIL WAR, Reed became Lackey/Enabler to Tony Stark, all through that Illuminati crap.

So Zdarsky is already signalling his love for Secret Wars in the first two issues.

And I for one can't wait to see how he turns the original story on its head. He's actually surprised me with these past two issues, and I'm legitimately excited that I don't know what's coming next.

BANNED

He kind of had to, Doom had a much more prominent role in SW.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I'd also argue the Gwen switch up took place recently. For one thing, Warren hadn't had time yet to leave with the real Gwen, which I assume he was going to do as quickly as he could (and probably had no intention of giving Norman what he wanted now that he was blinded by his personal infatuation).