Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Rick Sanchez vs Reed Richards.

Rick wants access to the door to the Negative Zone. Reed says no. Rick comes to take the door. Reed is there. Reed knows Rick is coming because... well, Rick. Who wins?

Astonishing Member

This is like a child coming at a fully-armed marine with a toy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    This is like a child coming at a fully-armed marine with a toy gun.
    No it isn't? How does Reed outclass Rick so badly? Which feats?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    No it isn't? How does Reed outclass Rick so badly? Which feats?
    The guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Well, this gives Reed prep. Reed isn't losing to Rick with prep. Reed starts off grabbing his "imma Wally West fast" belt that he has lying around, then uses the billions of relative years he has to do... whatever he wants. Including time travel if he needs more time.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Yeah it's almost as if Rick doesn't have his own time dilation devices....

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Or created worlds on a lark/whim to power vehicles.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Or created worlds on a lark/whim to power vehicles.
    With beings smart enough to create their own worlds, with beings smart enough to create their own worlds and so on..

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

*cough* universes. Universes for the purpose of getting one world.

Anyway, all else being equal, I tend to bet against Rick in prep matches, just 'cause he's more of an improv guy (despite losing his improv classes) whose heavy prep bits are, by his own admission, petty and overthought. Not that he's bad at it, just that heavy prep isn't ever really a "solution" for him, but something he slides into specifically when he's drunk or angry and has fuzzy goals that amount to nothing (he couldn't even REMEMBER Noobnoob once he sobered up). Compare with Evil Morty, who actually seems to be good at using prep to accomplish clear goals.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 04-19-2019 at 06:38 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Yeah, it could be a facet of CIS perhaps but Rick is inherently unstable and inconsistent. Either one could feasibly beat the other but Rick is much more fragile and self-destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    *cough* universes. Universes for the purpose of getting one world.

Anyway, all else being equal, I tend to bet against Rick in prep matches, just 'cause he's more of an improv guy (despite losing his improv classes) whose heavy prep bits are, by his own admission, petty and overthought. Not that he's bad at it, just that heavy prep isn't ever really a "solution" for him, but something he slides into specifically when he's drunk or angry and has fuzzy goals that amount to nothing (he couldn't even REMEMBER Noobnoob once he sobered up). Compare with Evil Morty, who actually seems to be good at using prep to accomplish clear goals.
    Yeah no I'm going to have to disagree with that. Rick is as competent with "heavy prep" as the plot needs him to be. The infiltration of the galactic prison and sending Jerry out of the family were realisations of long term goals just fine without him being drunk or just planning it as it happened.

In any case when the guy blows up planets and stops time casually, talking about "long term" or "short term" prep seems to be splitting hairs over what is basically PIS. If the guy say wastes 1 day of prep and turns up to battle with just a vague idea of what he's facing but just stops time or chucks a planet busting bomb or all that stuff that happened in the Obama fight anyway.... it kinda renders the whole concept of long term prep moot

If anything I'd say Rick would definitely beat Reed with like 5 min of prep since he is far better equipped with feats on the fly. The only reason he doesn't outright stomp under OP conditions which seem to indicate not so much time between Reed realising there is an attack and there being an attack, is because he'd be attacking Reed's home base at the lab

My thing is, all else being pretty close, Reed has the benefit of home field turf. A defensive position always helps. Plus he has decades of fighting other super geniuses.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Compare with Evil Morty, who actually seems to be good at using prep to accomplish clear goals.
    Well Morty is an organizational/manipulation genius rather than a scientific genius. I think the idea behind his character is he's what happens when you mix Jerry's genes with Rick's. Jerry is an idiot generally, but he has an emotional intelligence that allowed him to get a family and a career in advertising, and which allows some versions of him to be successful in Hollywood. Morty has that amped up to Rick levels. So a ruthless, confident Morty is amazing at selling stocks or being a politician.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

but on the flip side, rick's improv skills make him a hard dude to really predict. even rick is surprised at the **** he pulls.

hmmmmm. rick's self-destructive pettiness vs. reed's uber prep abilities. i'd have to think on this.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Yeah no I'm going to have to disagree with that. Rick is as competent with "heavy prep" as the plot needs him to be. The infiltration of the galactic prison and sending Jerry out of the family were realisations of long term goals just fine without him being drunk or just planning it as it happened.

In any case when the guy blows up planets and stops time casually, talking about "long term" or "short term" prep seems to be splitting hairs over what is basically PIS. If the guy say wastes 1 day of prep and turns up to battle with just a vague idea of what he's facing but just stops time or chucks a planet busting bomb or all that stuff that happened in the Obama fight anyway.... it kinda renders the whole concept of long term prep moot

If anything I'd say Rick would definitely beat Reed with like 5 min of prep since he is far better equipped with feats on the fly. The only reason he doesn't outright stomp under OP conditions which seem to indicate not so much time between Reed realising there is an attack and there being an attack, is because he'd be attacking Reed's home base at the lab
    The prison was pretty much entirely improvised at every stage. What does he prep in that scenario? If we believe him, he came up with the idea and instigated his own capture in an afternoon, and all he had to do was call the cops on himself. And the plan heavily depended on the government being organized around a single point of failure that it kept in the same facility as its most dangerous criminals behind a single password that one could get by asking for it.

I guess if we believe what he said at the end, he manipulated Jerry out of the family but man, getting Beth to divorce Jerry is not that much of a prep feat.

His prepped scenarios are things like drunkenly crafting bombs that might not even work and will blow him up if they do. I’m not saying he can’t do some impressive things, but that his good feats are more in his ability to immediately improvise
    Last edited by BitVyper; 04-19-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands