Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    That clubs vs guns scene is so dumb. An ambush is needed to make it not be a massacre. Who thought it was a good idea.
    They did "ambush" them, They exploded stuff into front of them and then charged

this isn't even top 5 on the dumbest things this franchise has done.

Driving a bank vault through the streets, launching yourself off a car going 70+ to catch someone falling off a tank on the opposite highway and somehow making it out okay, driving from skyscraper to skyscraper through the air, etc. etc. etc.

I like all the actors so I try not to rag on these movies too much but the leaps this franchise has made while being universally praised is mind-numbing.

At least this new film feels like what the series has wanted to be for the last 3.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post

@Cliffhanger
    Yea Mamoa was very threatening in that movie. Also it's the movie I'd point to when I defend him as Aquaman for the last couple years. The physicality he shows in the movie is great. The end fight with the Axes just watching the way he moved(Very fast for such a big guy) was impressive. Kinda took me out the movie cause I didnt believe for a second Sly stood a chance given the way his Arthritis invested body movied. But yea I forget who suggested it in the Xmen in the MCU thread want to give them proper credit but his as Sabertooth is perfect casting. Obviously not the skin and hair color but the essence of the character I feel like he would capture. But yea hes a good hero but also I think he can be a great villian. He has a very intimidating animalistic look about him. And he made a rapist and murderer in Game of thrones into a fan favorite. So he can play dispicable character and bring a level of likability. I mean Drogo wasnt a bad guy by Game of Thrones standards but you get what I'm saying. We are introduced to him as a guy basically raping a young girl. We dont see the more likable qualities till later.
    I'm saying tho Momoa was really doin his thing in that movie lol. Yeah sly's old ass wasn't believable for a minute lol. But if Momoa had a scene like that with the Rock it would be epic. I think the Rock owes the fans a really good one on one with someone who seems like a threat to him.The last guy I think Michael Clark Duncan and that fight was lackluster. I wanna see a good back and forth on par with his wrestling matches.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    this isn't even top 5 on the dumbest things this franchise has done.

Driving a bank vault through the streets, launching yourself off a car going 70+ to catch someone falling off a tank on the opposite highway and somehow making it out okay, driving from skyscraper to skyscraper through the air, etc. etc. etc.

I like all the actors so I try not to rag on these movies too much but the leaps this franchise has made while being universally praised is mind-numbing.

At least this new film feels like what the series has wanted to be for the last 3.
    Yes well I did not watch any of the previous ones because the trailers looked way too dumb. The first trailer was fine, the second makes me iffy on seeing it now.

still not buying Shaw as a 'good guy' but hey, kids, have fun.
    and did they more or less spoil a good 50% of the film in that lengthy trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    If fast and furious x does not take them into space, then they have failed this franchise
    Perhaps unrelated but I loved Jason X. Yes that was the one in space.

Shaw killed Han, a beloved member of the team
    Yeah #JusticeForHan. However all will be forgiven if Han and Gisele make it back for FF9 and knowing Justin Lin's directing that it just may happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    If he wasn't retired from acting I could see Sean Connery doing it. But since he is, Brian Cox would make an awesome Papa Shaw.
    I'd much prefer Charles Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    still not buying Shaw as a 'good guy' but hey, kids, have fun.
    and did they more or less spoil a good 50% of the film in that lengthy trailer?
    Lol yea even with the retcon that's the shaws were manipulated and lied to by Therons character it hard to buy. But then I think how the The rock and Shaw were the best part of the last one and how super ridiculous these movies are and said fu** it who cares, just enjoy the entertaining nonsense.

Yes well I did not watch any of the previous ones because the trailers looked way too dumb. The first trailer was fine, the second makes me iffy on seeing it now.
    I'm kind of shocked you've never seen any of the previous 8 movies in any capacity.

The dance pre-gun fight isn't even the most ridiculous part of the trailer. The 3 car Helicopter chain fight, where the bad guy is shooting missiles and the Rock is just at the ned pulling the Helicopter down with his bicep.
    The J-man

The series sort of started as "Point Break" with cars. The second one however couldn't land Diesel and we didn't really get a "true" sequel to the original until the fourth film (Which was the darkest IMO despite no deaths apart from Letty's later retconned death), but the first five are more or less them just dealing with more "realistic" crime.

The fifth of course turned the whole thing into a growing ensemble, bringing in 2 Fast 2 Furious Roman and Tej (well, and Eva Mendes for one minute), although it's basically Ocean's 11 with Cars. The Sixth kept the ensemble angle but sort of changed the group to Mission Impossible/James Bond style missions.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'm kind of shocked you've never seen any of the previous 8 movies in any capacity.

The dance pre-gun fight isn't even the most ridiculous part of the trailer. The 3 car Helicopter chain fight, where the bad guy is shooting missiles and the Rock is just at the ned pulling the Helicopter down with his bicep.
    The Haka itself isnt ridiculous, it's that they then just charge against people with machine guns. Again though context, Elbas character could get baited into a fist fight between the two sides or Shaw is pulling off one hell of a distraction in the background. But the Haka is a legit tool for intimidation. We use to do it before our football games in highschool. That said honestly my cousin was 6"5 315lbs in highschool and he wasnt the biggest Samoan on the team. So we probaly could played patty cake and intimidated people.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The series sort of started as "Point Break" with cars. The second one however couldn't land Diesel and we didn't really get a "true" sequel to the original until the fourth film (Which was the darkest IMO despite no deaths apart from Letty's later retconned death), but the first five are more or less them just dealing with more "realistic" crime.

The fifth of course turned the whole thing into a growing ensemble, bringing in 2 Fast 2 Furious Roman and Tej (well, and Eva Mendes for one minute), although it's basically Ocean's 11 with Cars. The Sixth kept the ensemble angle but sort of changed the group to Mission Impossible/James Bond style missions.
    Diesel actually turned down xXx part 2 and 2Fast2Furious. It's super obvious they were setting up to bring back his character and just replaced him with Tyrese.

When 3 came out it looked like the franchise was going to go jump around to different characters. We were introduced to completely new characters in school and in Tokyo of all places. I didn't care for the plot but the races were sick.

Than as you point out 4 kind of brought things back full circle. The stunts did start to get a little more action movie ridiculous. The oil tanker scene and the canyon race among other things. However, it wasn't until the film introduced the Rock that the Franchise started to go a little bonkers.

No one talks about ti but this scene made no damn sense:

This was also the film that basically turned them into super agents ro whatever they are considered now. Every movie from this point on got more absurd
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

This was also the film that basically turned them into super agents ro whatever they are considered now. Every movie from this point on got more absurd
    Why does everyone say that like it's a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Why does everyone say that like it's a bad thing?
    I'd argue most people say this as a good thing. This franchise gets universal praise. I wouldn't have any problem at all if the franchise started out this way or got rebooted or was a separate franchise with the same actors.

I don't hate these films I accept them for what they are.

I think what annoys me slightly is I've seen all these films and I remember how they started. Where these characters originated/started and the franchise has changed so dramatically its unrecognizable. Every time I watch a FF movie it smacks me right in the face and I can't get over it. At least I find these movies more enjoyable than the new Mission Impossible movies, probably because I like the cast and the chemistry.

Mission Impossible is probably the closest franchise to FF in terms of jumping the shark. The stories all over the place and they've all felt generic to me since MI3 (4? I've lost track).

Also, I feel like these are the movies that critics and audiences are inconsistent with. If most love or hate these films fine, but when another film is made essentially equal in quality and story comes along don't give it a wildly different grade.
    The J-man

Place your bets now. so is Idris Elba's character going to join the team by the next movie?

I'm still waiting for comic books based on the franchise. What publisher has the best chance to explore this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Place your bets now. so is Idris Elba's character going to join the team by the next movie?

I'm still waiting for comic books based on the franchise. What publisher has the best chance to explore this?
    Well, they're making a cartoon...