Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Honestly, it's just lazy writing since it allows them to take Rachel off the playing field and male characters to play the hero.

It's one thing for there to be a story arc which involves a female character being enslaved/tortured/mind controlled but it's another if there's no payoff where the character actually gets more an 1-panel time to actually shine. In Game of Thrones, at least what happened to Sansa was part of her character arc. In a long-form story, repeating Rachel's storyline by putting her back to being a Hound and on a long path for recovery would be fine but I don't think there's any plan. None of the writers are talking to each other, they just have individual ideas and repeat the same stories over and over.

I just cannot believe it's 2019 and this is happening in X-books. It's shameful that the 1980s books were more progressive and female characters were better written. The only comic readers who would enjoy this storyline with Rachel are the incels and Comicsgaters who want to see the female characters as sex objects and weakened.
    It's not male/female thing.It's rachel thing. She's higher up on power level but not that popular. With telepathic attacks, you need to show how dangerous the villain is. And that goes with taking control of other telepaths. But the X men don't have male telepaths; those they have are not in X book. So rachel is the punching bag.And yes I don't like what they're doing to rachel. This is straight up bad for her character.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Going to pick up X-STATIX for sure. Nothing else appears to be of interest to me.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Honestly, it's just lazy writing since it allows them to take Rachel off the playing field and male characters to play the hero.

It's one thing for there to be a story arc which involves a female character being enslaved/tortured/mind controlled but it's another if there's no payoff where the character actually gets more an 1-panel time to actually shine. In Game of Thrones, at least what happened to Sansa was part of her character arc. In a long-form story, repeating Rachel's storyline by putting her back to being a Hound and on a long path for recovery would be fine but I don't think there's any plan. None of the writers are talking to each other, they just have individual ideas and repeat the same stories over and over.

I just cannot believe it's 2019 and this is happening in X-books. It's shameful that the 1980s books were more progressive and female characters were better written. The only comic readers who would enjoy this storyline with Rachel are the incels and Comicsgaters who want to see the female characters as sex objects and weakened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I'm just an ignorant nobody but I can't help wondering what the hell are the editors doing all day, who in their right mind would even think this is interesting or engaging?
    Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    It's not male/female thing.It's rachel thing. She's higher up on power level but not that popular. With telepathic attacks, you need to show how dangerous the villain is. And that goes with taking control of other telepaths. But the X men don't have male telepaths; those they have are not in X book. So rachel is the punching bag.And yes I don't like what they're doing to rachel. This is straight up bad for her character.
    I'm a pretty big fan of corruption/mind control story ideas, but I know another Polaris fan who doesn't want any of those kind of storylines done with Lorna, and I understand his reasons. Marvel seems to have a history of handling the corruption/mind control concept incredibly poorly. Undoing character development, using the character to make other characters look better, making the character being controlled/corrupted look terrible, etc.

Corruption/mind control is only interesting when it shows shades of who the character really is beneath the surface that the audience might not otherwise fully understand or appreciate. Euphemia from Code Geass murdering innocent Japanese people by an accidental geass was so shocking and powerful specifically because it was so antithetical to who she was, and the anime made that explicitly clear both in build-up and in the writing around it. There was no risk of a "Man, Euphemia really is a duplicitous monster" kind of misunderstanding. Not quite the same but similar, on the show Camelot, Morgan shapeshifting into Igraine and pretending to be her just to sow chaos into Camelot revealed how highly everyone viewed Igraine and how much trust and secret power she had through her relationships that in every other episode merely looked like typical supporting character fodder.

Normally, a character's relationships, their drives, their values all go somewhat unnoticed except by their fans. But through properly written corruption/mind control, the audience can see who they are by way of who they aren't, and the impact of the character saying and doing things they normally never would.

Unfortunately, it seems like Marvel editors and writers have no awareness whatsoever of how to use this concept. They keep falling on toxic franchise staples that involve doing it to make the character controlling them look cool and powerful, or to give the characters that stop them someone to beat up and humiliate. It's all the worse when it's a minority character they do it to.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Spectacular Member

I’m surprised. What is marvel going to do in August/September ? A bunch of one shots and two/three issue minis to get us to the end of hox and pox? I would have thought at least that x-force would go to Issue 12 and uncanny to issue 28 , since that would make it also issue 650 ! And if they start new ongoings in those two months , than what is the point of Hox and pox ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    I hope Tom Taylor gets an X-title after House/Powers of X.
    I'd love to to see him back on the xmen

Tom Taylor was the best X-writer in at least a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Tom Taylor was the best X-writer in at least a decade.
    IA. His Xmen Red book was enjoyable from beginning to end and I loved what I read of ANW

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Taylor and Rosenberg have really similar writing styles, imo. I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor get more work on the X-books, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IA. His Xmen Red book was enjoyable from beginning to end and I loved what I read of ANW
    I agree that Taylor is a talented writer. I also agree that his book has been one of the best books in a while. My main issue with Red was how passive he wrote Jean, but other than that I do think he is a great talent. There were some issues with Red such as a lack of follow up for Forge.

I do think Rosenberg is a talented writer. There are things I did not like about some of his works (and I disagree with his take on Jean for example) but I cannot deny his talent.

The writer of Prisoner X is very talented (same is true of all the Age of X-man books though they just do not interest me all that much).

I think there is a lot of potential with the current X-men writers. I hope they make good use of this talent/potential talent.

BANNED

The problem with Taylor is that I feel like he swings a little too far in the other direction and plays it TOO safe. IE Immune focused entirely on the physical sacrifice Laura was making, by driving herself until the virus nearly killed her to save everyone she could. While certainly in-character, I think he missed out on exploring the EMOTIONAL toll that story should have taken: It's been well-established Laura doesn't like to be touched, but the story doesn't even address how she would cope with being groped by literally THOUSANDS of strangers like that (remember, she almost took Gambit's arm off when he touched her when she wasn't expecting it). And this is something he consistently failed to work into the stories, with Laura largely shrugging off things that SHOULD have been much harder for her to deal with, or giving her easy "outs" (IE the reveal that Bellona killed those people at the start of EotS2). While she certainly deserved a bit of a break after the stories she'd been through, that could have been done without coddling her to the extent he did.

Likewise, I think Taylor made XMR a little too easy on those involved. While I've not read a lot of his other material, it does seem to me that he plays his main-verse stuff much more safe, and only really goes all-in on AU stuff like Injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    March, I think. But he came in when Blue and Gold were already scheduled to end. Extermination was Paniccia's final project and Disassembled was JDW's first (well, technically X-Men Black).
    I like JDW as an internet personality, and I preferred X-men Mondays when they were on his twitter account and not the question/answer thing we get from the whatever website. That said, the books under his watch have not been super great. Uncanny X-men 1-10 was very uneven. Age of X-man, while having good quality I don't think is selling all that well,correct? I just can't find much to be excited about. I do hope Hickman has been worth the wait. JDW seems to love the X-men, but again under his care the Xbooks have been sorta "meh".

Well, at least JDW's Magneto issue was better than anything from the Panic dynasty.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Whatever happened to the Magneto helmets?
    Cant have those laying around for just anybody to pick up.

Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    It's almost like the Rachel that we've had since the Morrison era is a fake and the real Rachel is still out there gallivanting around the timeline and being awesome...
    honestly prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by victor borkowski View Post
    honestly prefer that.
    Just bought Reload v1(? Is there a v2?)... and meant to find a thread to sing its praises. An entire volume of X-Men classics and recruits actually having fun being superheroes without extinction or time travel plots and no Magneto in sight. I think the closest thing the entire trade had to a traditional X-men foe was Arcade and Mojo.

That said, Rachel’s debut as Marvel Girl was a damn mess. Though her competence sans Phoenix Force was great.