Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I wasn't expecting much of the Doom Galactus story after the three first issues but it was even worst that I thought. I was hoping much more of the Wendy story. And it was also absolutely disappointing...

So I guess I'm most probably done with that book.
    Yep me too. Done with Slott's F4 run. Adds nothing to F4 mythos. Instead backtracks quite a bit. Not sure why they would do that unless this is some movie synergy move (and that is unlikely given the timing of the merger etc)

BANNED

I enjoyed this concluding chapter.

Nice character work all around with the main team. Loved Sue's narration that outlined the ways that all four have learned from each other's strengths over the years. And I'm glad that Val ended up playing a part in saving the team, even if she was mostly on the side during this story.

Overall, this was a fun arc that played with classic FF tropes. Not sure why it had to be anything more grandiose than that.

Slott is going to be on this book for awhile. There's plenty of time for him to make big changes. I think at this moment early in the run, he wanted to revel in an old-school style FF tale.

After all, it has been some time since we've seen one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I wasn't expecting much of the Doom Galactus story after the three first issues but it was even worst that I thought. I was hoping much more of the Wendy story. And it was also absolutely disappointing...

So I guess I'm most probably done with that book.
    The Wendy story ended way too quickly. I can only hope it's part of a progressive subplot that will come to a head later on. I want to see the kids develop and see their relationship with each other and with others in the Marvel Universe.

This is the worst Doom since Unthinkable. His motives I can buy and those I like. Help Latveria and make himself look good. Cool. Not Evil and still with a bit of Von Doom pride. But Vic's twirling his moustache and kicking puppies. Meh.

Galactus. Why even go anywhere near Earth anymore? How good must we taste and what exactly is at the center of our planet to keep this purple jobber coming back? The rest of the universe apparently hasn't been able to do a damn thing against him. Personally, if I was an alien race catching that Doomcast, I'd be off to Earth to get this guy and convince him to divulge his secrets. But that would be a sequel that makes sense

The main story was lacking big time. As great as the characterization of the Four was, their actions were rubber stamp super-heroics this time around. With Doom obviously in the wrong and without glimmers of light making you wonder if he could be doing the right thing (and the story did start that way), we're left with Good vs Evil, Good wins and covers the spread. Film at 11, if you haven't seen this hundreds of times before.

Sounds like a regular doom story to me. Might I recommend Superior Spider-man? Everyone is written intelligently. And Doc Strange shows up.

iMan 42s

I am utterly convinced that Slott just half-assed this because he was running late from being on Twitter. The main plot sucks, he doesn't get Doom, Zora has no reason to exist, this arc is just balls. I payed full price for this and it makes me feel dirty.

It has good structure as a story arc, but there's more than a few pieces missing regarding Doom's characterization and why he thought this ridiculous cosmic battery plan would work. This arc needed more time fleshing out Victor's current motivations and reasons for getting back in the suit outside of Slott hitting the reset button. This arc also needed a re-write because I can't think of any reason why the kids plot needed to be here. What was so critical that it couldn't be done from an offhand spell one of the Four come across? Galactus just blasting Doom and sending everybody home? Did we really need to see Franklin putzing around for Doom to make what will be (if not already is) a dated internet meme?

The arc as a whole gets a D+ out of me because the art is largely what's carrying it and it has the structure of a good plot, but the meat on it's bones I'm pretty sure is molded over it's that old and bad.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Wow, this issue felt like it was a straight up parody. Almost like those old strips in annuals where the Impossible Man was mocking the FF by changing into them and exaggerating their behavior.

It's also weird that, at the very same time, over in Doctor Strange, Galactus is trapped in mystical realms with Strange. He also isn't made to look like a pushover, shrugging off attacks from Strange as well as nearly destroying an interdimensional god-demon.

Mighty Member

It was the worst Doom story of the last ten years. It's like the Hickman run, Secret Wars and Infamous Iron Man never existed.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

BANNED

I had high hopes for this Doom centric story arc but in the end the execution of the plot couldn't do justice to Doom or the Fantastic Four as characters. The whole thing just seems mean-spirited, like spiteful fan fiction working to undo everything that has happened post-Secret Wars. I've decided to drop Fantastic Four as a book and archived the issues I've bought via ComiXology, the closest I can come to outright deleting them from my account.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

The story would be great,if it was written at early 00s. I think that they used classic Dr Doom too early and this arc reeks editorial desire to bring status quo back for potential MCU movies about FF.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

The silver lining in all of this is that with the embargo gone the FF are appearing more outside of the main title. If the main book has turned you off you can get the characters in other books:

They will appear in War of the Realms next week.

Their Prodigal Sun one shot could be interesting.

Sue is going to be in a few different books and have her own book.

If issue 12 does well then there could be a Future Foundation spin-off.

There are quite a few options if Slott ain't doing it for you. Plus you could hope that his run will be a short one. He did say that he packed everything he wanted to do in the first 12 issues as though he may never write the book again. He might be done with the book sooner than most think, who knows?
    Last edited by Crimz; 04-25-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Slott is a decent writer and he has a story writinh Ben Grimm,but this arc wasn't great. I have faith in him though.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Slott is a decent writer and he has a story writinh Ben Grimm,but this arc wasn't great. I have faith in him though.
    Yeah. Slott has a good history and fine record. I really liked his first six issues (including the wedding special) and although there were some huge weaknesses in the handling of Doom and Galactus, I liked the use of the kids and the introduction of Victorious. The next three issues are a crossover, a kid story and a Hulk/Thing fight plus a Future Foundation back-up. I have to live with company crossovers, but the next two issues certainly have some appeal to me.

Slott's got time to build his rep back up with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    For me, it's the next few issues that are the real test. I wasn't feeling the Doom arc from when it was announced and haven't had high hopes for it. Him not being good at writing Doom isn't enough to kill my enthusiasm as getting the Four right is what's most important. It's still really early days and as another poster said, it feels like he's still table-setting.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I've decided to drop Fantastic Four as a book and archived the issues I've bought via ComiXology, the closest I can come to outright deleting them from my account.
    I do the same thing with books I don't like. "I never want to see you again. Go away. I'll pretend you don't exist."