Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's nice to see Johnny use his lesser known abilities and freeze the liquid.

Reed's escape looks gross and painful, but in a good way. He doesn't often get to stretch in a weird and gruesome ways.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    "Good thing we didn't have the kids with us."

Foreshadowing the kids showing up, I bet. In time to see that cruel act.
    which cruel act? wasn't it televised? i'm sure that they are tired of seeing their parents be tortured by Doom.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Victor is definitely okay with people seeing this scarred face, you can tell because he spent a period of time hiding in his castle and crying about it.
    Well, he had no problem showing it to he Zora at the very beginning of the relaunch. Could Slott be forgetting his own scripts? And why would he need Zora to take him away?
    He was teleporting all the time in Infamous Iron Man. Dr Strange knows this. I do wish writers would pay attention
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-19-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    which cruel act? wasn't it televised? i'm sure that they are tired of seeing their parents be tortured by Doom.
    I doubt they're tired. I'm sure this is another Wednesday for them all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    It's nice to see Johnny use his lesser known abilities and freeze the liquid.
    That seems off to me. Bobby Drake's been shown absorbing heat to produce ice. It seems counter-intuitive to have Johnny able to absorb heat as well. The idea of Bobby vs Johnny are opposites, isn't it?

Feel free to inundate me with examples of Johnny doing this because I don't remember any. But Johnny's been around for a long time so there may very well be stuff my old man brain is unable to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    That seems off to me. Bobby Drake's been shown absorbing heat to produce ice. It seems counter-intuitive to have Johnny able to absorb heat as well. The idea of Bobby vs Johnny are opposites, isn't it?

Feel free to inundate me with examples of Johnny doing this because I don't remember any. But Johnny's been around for a long time so there may very well be stuff my old man brain is unable to remember.
    When Johnny absorbs heat it's adds to his power, so he burns hotter. The trade off is that he needs to expel that excess heat quickly otherwise he'll lose control depending on how much he takes. He's able to absorb to the point of freezing.

It makes sense to me and while he can absorb heat like Iceman, but he can't do it to the same extreme. I see no problem with them sharing similar aspects to their powers, they are two sides of the same coin so there's bound to be some overlap.

Here are some other instances of Johnny absorbing heat:

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    When Johnny absorbs heat it's adds to his power, so he burns hotter. The trade off is that he needs to expel that excess heat quickly otherwise he'll lose control depending on how much he takes. He's able to absorb to the point of freezing.

It makes sense to me and while he can absorb heat like Iceman, but he can't do it to the same extreme. I see no problem with them sharing similar aspects to their powers, they are two sides of the same coin so there's bound to be some overlap.

Here are some other instances of Johnny absorbing heat:
    That first scene was from one of the first FF issues I got as a kid. I forgot all about that scene. i agree with you on the sharing of some parts of Bobby's and Johnny's powers. The transfer of energy with both of them has a lot of overlap and your explanation makes sense.

It does look like Slott's been reading old issues and is collecting a library of items to use in future issues. that's a good thing.

Johnny absorbing heat is his most interesting power and I dab when writers remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Well, he had no problem showing it to he Zora at the very beginning of the relaunch. Could Slott be forgetting his own scripts? And why would he need Zora to take him away?
    He was teleporting all the time in Infamous Iron Man. Dr Strange knows this. I do wish writers would pay attention
    That was one person finding him in his depression slump (and he kept it hidden from her until she asked for help, then he showed it to her to get rid of her because he thinks a hero could never have his face) vs the entire world seeing it at the height of him regaining his confidence again. The scars are the reason he is in the depression slump, with the monologue about how the scars are the face chosen by fate and the mask is chosen by him. So he's still touchy about it, to the point that he felt it prevented him from doing anything, and Sue just showed the world the face of fate when he wanted them to see his own leading his powerful nation. He should be livid.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Johnny absorbing heat is his most interesting power and I dab when writers remember it.

That was one person finding him in his depression slump (and he kept it hidden from her until she asked for help, then he showed it to her to get rid of her because he thinks a hero could never have his face) vs the entire world seeing it at the height of him regaining his confidence again. The scars are the reason he is in the depression slump, with the monologue about how the scars are the face chosen by fate and the mask is chosen by him. So he's still touchy about it, to the point that he felt it prevented him from doing anything, and Sue just showed the world the face of fate when he wanted them to see his own leading his powerful nation. He should be livid.
    I suppose that could be true except I think Slott again makes a mistake here. How was Sue so sure that his face was scarred (although IMO that's not the case)? After all, they knew first hand from Ben and Johnny that is face was normal. No one but Zora had seen him because the next we see him in that same issue, he goes off to take back the throne and he has his mask on.

The reason why I don't consider it a scarred face is because of how the artist renders things in that Fantastic Four #1. This is something different. I looks more like a misshapen effect going on, which gives me the impression that the nature of this condition is more magic based than an actual physical injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    So not only was Victor's plan ridiculous in its very inception but the four's entrapment ultimately meant nothing because they are released (as if we would read from a trade) a few pages later. Super.

Why is Victor freaking out over his face? He was willing to merely wear a hood over his face when Victorious found him. So if his face wasn't a problem then for the indeterminate amount of time he'd been there, what does he care now? He only started wearing the helmet again because of a pep talk from her, not because he was ashamed of what he looked like. Did I miss a scene? This is only a problem for Victor pre-Secret Wars.

Right, Dan needs to finish the arc so that's probably why.
    I never considered the psychological implications of a man paranoid about his scared face, having it healed by his worst enemy, Reed Richards, and feeling great about himself. Then, having been re-scarred, and sending him back to his paranoia. Yes, I can see being given a healthy handsome face, (to impregnate a girlfriend), and then having it taken away, how that depresses someone. Check the portrait of Damian Grey.
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-20-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Liked the issue and glad that this arc is finally over.

Mighty Member

This was eyerolling honestly. It's sad because I want to like this, but for a book called fantastic, this was pretty barebones.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    This was eyerolling honestly. It's sad because I want to like this, but for a book called fantastic, this was pretty barebones.
    I agree. I preferred the story of Wendy and Franklin to the Doom/Galactus mess.

I wasn't expecting much of the Doom Galactus story after the three first issues but it was even worst that I thought. I was hoping much more of the Wendy story. And it was also absolutely disappointing...

So I guess I'm most probably done with that book.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Mighty Member

Putting aside the characterizations, jobbing, and other creative decisions made by Doom and Galactus, this story arc sucks because of one thing: there is no dramatic tension. Sure, things happen, but the things that do happen are so by the book that there is no tension. Then there are the callbacks to all the other times the FF were trapped in Doom's cages which makes me want to read those stories instead of this one.

For all the bravado of Latveria becoming a world power the solicits keep preaching, we never see Latveria become a world power. Sure, it's televised to everyone else, but you don't see Latveria do anything that screams "world power." At best, they set up tubes to drain the power of Galactus. Sure, it's intimidating, but there is a distinct difference between Doom and Latveria. Speakling of Latverian citizens, Victorious was a wasted character. It's interesting to see a foreign version of Captain America, but she contributed nothing to the plot. You could have replaced her with Lucia Von Bardas or another Doombot since that's how poorly used she was.

The kids' plot was meh. I don't like seeing them sequestered with their relatives but at the same time, I like their plot better. I like the mischief when Val and Franklin deconstructed the truck to build a teleporter. Although Wendy came out of left field and ultimately was a plot device, I felt more connected to that story than the main one. Except for Franklin's angst fest about the worlds he lost. Once again, show don't tell.

Rant over.