Incredible Member

Default Aquaman ‘family’ Question

Years ago, there was a reboot / reset of the Aquaman series. In the series, there was a new, younger Aquaman and Arthur had been changed into an underwater creature. The ‘new’ Aquaman even appeared in the new-at-the-time version of Batman and the Outsiders.

I sorta enjoyed the new status quo for the series.

Would you object to this character be resurrected for this post Rebirth continuity??

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Years ago, there was a reboot / reset of the Aquaman series. In the series, there was a new, younger Aquaman and Arthur had been changed into an underwater creature. The ‘new’ Aquaman even appeared in the new-at-the-time version of Batman and the Outsiders.

Would you object to this character be resurrected for this post Rebirth continuity??
    You are referring to "Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis". Personally I didn't care for that series and stopped reading Aquaman books during that phase. The whole story behind this other Aquaman just seemed ridiculous to me. I recall enjoying the series before they changed to this "new" Aquaman (I believe it was during the Sub Diego storyline). To date I've never gone back and read them.

I'm not sure where any of those stories fall into continuity (if at all). If I remember correctly the character just kind of disappeared, never to be seen again. Not 100% sure though as I steered away from comics for a bit during that time.

Now that you mention it though, I'm kind of curious how it all ended. I may have to do a little bit of googling!!
    Last edited by RickWJ324; 04-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

Yes I woould object, what the current Aquaman doesn't need is to be more messed up than it is.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I dropped the title after 3 issues of Sword of Atlantis.
    (It's the one BIG hole in my Aquaman collection - and I trudged through Erik Larsen!)
    I just did not like the direction, and I was enjoying the book before the change.
    Final Crisis tie in with the Spectre kinda went through the book like a wrecking ball and I wanted to see what was going to happen next.
    Instead, we got Aquaman - Sword of Atlantis. A completely new Arthur Curry, no Atlantis, no connection to any of the issues that had preceded it.
    Completely lost me.
    Much in the same way the latest arc is.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I never read that book, though I remember that Aquaman pretty vividly due to his appearance in Superman/Batman at the time.

I did a little bit of looking into him, and I thought Sub Diego was a pretty cool concept honestly. At the same time, I remember being confused that the new Aquaman was Arthur Curry. Wasn't the old Aquaman Arthur Curry?

It seemed kind of like if a new Superman showed up to take over for the normal one, and he was Clark Kent as well. What's the difference? Why not just reboot him if you're going out of your way to, basically, reboot him? Of course, my knowledge was and is so minimal that maybe the second Arthur wasn't really like that at all, but at least on the surface level, it makes sense that you don't hear about this Arthur Curry in the fandom with the same frequency you hear of the likes of Kyle Rayner, or even less-known legacy characters like Connor Hawke.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I dropped the title after 3 issues of Sword of Atlantis.
    (It's the one BIG hole in my Aquaman collection - and I trudged through Erik Larsen!)
    I just did not like the direction, and I was enjoying the book before the change.
    Final Crisis tie in with the Spectre kinda went through the book like a wrecking ball and I wanted to see what was going to happen next.
    Instead, we got Aquaman - Sword of Atlantis. A completely new Arthur Curry, no Atlantis, no connection to any of the issues that had preceded it.
    Completely lost me.
    Much in the same way the latest arc is.
    Well said! I was enjoying the run before this, the Sub Diego subplot, etc... I quit the book completely when the new "Arthur Curry" showed up. If I remember correctly he was a human that was experimented on and happened to have the same name as the real Aquaman. It was an easy pass for me.

As for this current story arc...I'll be glad when it's over. Not enjoying "Amnesiac Andy" at all. And why doesn't he have spoilers:
    fins on his legs? Aren't the fins actually a part of his legs and not just on his costume?
    end of spoilers

And what a coincidence that in the #47 (latest issue) Andy gets spoilers:
    tattoos that resemble the movie version of Aquaman!! I like the movie version as an "alternate" take on Aquaman, but as much as I like Jason Mamoa and his look for the movie, I don't want the comic Aquaman to get turned into a dark haired tattooed guy. His blonde hair is a part of him just as much as Superman having black hair.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by RickWJ324; 04-19-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Barely read the Sub-Diego stuff and only bought the first ish of Sword of Atlantis. It was dumb.
    Batman - Daredevil

If any Aquaman experts can answer the question I posted above about Aquaman's leg fins I'd appreciate it.