Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Not enough for me.

It must be burned with the blazing hot hellfire of a thousand Suns!
    In my experience, that doesn't tend to work as well in comics as the benign neglect of apathy and disinterest

For instance, Emerald Twilight, Identity Crisis and others are hated with fiery passion, which tends to mean that an equally large number of fans love those stories. On the other hand, ideas like Barry Allen created the Speed Force, that are met with a resounding shrug from everyone, tend to be forgotten much more quickly than the ones that inspire the most fanboy rage...

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    In my experience, that doesn't tend to work as well in comics as the benign neglect of apathy and disinterest

For instance, Emerald Twilight, Identity Crisis and others are hated with fiery passion, which tends to mean that an equally large number of fans love those stories. On the other hand, ideas like Barry Allen created the Speed Force, that are met with a resounding shrug from everyone, tend to be forgotten much more quickly than the ones that inspire the most fanboy rage...
    Get out of here with your logic. IT MUST BE BURNED AWAY!

(why don't we have a shaking fist emoji? I could use one right now.)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Get out of here with your logic. IT MUST BE BURNED AWAY!

(why don't we have a shaking fist emoji? I could use one right now.)
    Today, you have every right to be grumpy, irrational and full of rage. Just remember that these kinds of things never last. It may take a decade, but sooner or later, it’ll all get undone.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Today, you have every right to be grumpy, irrational and full of rage.
    Oh, I'm not. It was meant as a joke. (I believe it, but still, a joke.)

I'm just more acidic than your average poster.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Can I ask a slightly off topic question? I'm reading Scott Snyders JLA run by trade, so I clearly I have to wait awhile before I can read the stories. I have Vol 1: The Totality, and preordered Vol 2: Graveyard of the Gods, and Vol 3: Hawkworld. My question is, I see there is a JLA/Aquaman Drowned Earth. Where does that fit in with the story line Scott is telling? Is that something I should purchase as well, or was it just filler? Thanks!

It's not filler, but you don't have to worry about getting a separate trade. IT looks like the core issues are fully collected in volume 2.

I had dropped Justice League a while ago but picked up #22 because I heard about it rewriting and reworking the origin of the DCU. I really loved this issue! As others have stated, Tynion found a way to take a number of different versions of DC’s Monitor origin stories and make them function together.

I’ve been rereading it and trying to figure everything out. Gonna write my take on it and hope that if I get something wrong someone can clarify.

So there’s the Overvoid which I’m guessing is the same thing as the Over-Monitor. Morrison described it as the blank page on which the comic is written. Something with limitless potential for imagination. The Source of all knowledge and creation. So was Perputua sent by the Over-Monitor to create the multiverse? she creates her sons to forge, monitor, and guard her multiverse. Mobius’ anti-matter would destroy all life that tried to breach the Source.

Once they’re created Mar Novu questions why his mother still lives having completed her purpose. He discovers that she has created earth. She’s is also creating creatures that have the fierce predatory nature of humans and the strength of Martians. Perpetua states that she will need and army for protection. She also mentions “the judges of The Source” (have they been shown previously?) wanting beings like these to find harmony. So I’m guessing she disagrees with this notion of justice and prefers the survival of the fittest. The same world view Luthor has dedicated himself to. Even going so far as to surround himself with the most alpha predators on the planet to form the LoD. If Superman is the ultimate altruistic being then Luthor is the embodiment of selfishness and lust for power. Makes sense. Mar Novu points out that no other multiverses have beings like Perpetua. “This implies that your function ended when you created this multiverse. That you are meant to die or move on to create other multiverses.” Perpetua refuses to die and relinquish the seven cosmic energies.

Two hundred thousand years later in the Promethian Galaxy (home of the Promethian Giants) Monitor has gathered his brothers to help make contact with the Judges of the Source to show them what their mother is doing. Before they can make contact, Perpetua arrives with her army and attacks them. A Judge or the Source follows and imprisons Perpetua behind a wall made out of her army. Mobius is angry that The Source Wall renders him obsolete.

Why are Monitor and Anti-Monitor then born again on Qward and Oa? I don’t think it was stated that reality was restarting. I’m confused about something else. It seemed like Mobius was originally made to guard the boundaries of creation with anti-matter and keep that area free of life. But now he’s upset that Mar Novu has “ensured I will oversee a wasteland.” Was there life in the Anti-Matter universe before this event? And we’ve seen that the Anti-Matter universe has beings living in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    Can I ask a slightly off topic question? I'm reading Scott Snyders JLA run by trade, so I clearly I have to wait awhile before I can read the stories. I have Vol 1: The Totality, and preordered Vol 2: Graveyard of the Gods, and Vol 3: Hawkworld. My question is, I see there is a JLA/Aquaman Drowned Earth. Where does that fit in with the story line Scott is telling? Is that something I should purchase as well, or was it just filler? Thanks!
    I don't think Drowned Earth was particularly good, so skipping it might be a good idea to save money that can be used to buy something better

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Why are Monitor and Anti-Monitor then born again on Qward and Oa? I don’t think it was stated that reality was restarting. I’m confused about something else. It seemed like Mobius was originally made to guard the boundaries of creation with anti-matter and keep that area free of life. But now he’s upset that Mar Novu has “ensured I will oversee a wasteland.” Was there life in the Anti-Matter universe before this event? And we’ve seen that the Anti-Matter universe has beings living in it.
    The idea, as I understand it, is that when The Monitor ratted out Perpetua to the Judges of the Source and they sent the Raptor (who is clearly connected to Hawkgirl) to imprison her within a Source Wall, they then rebooted this Multiverse so that it was purged of Perpetua's manipulations, which also caused The Monitor and The Anti-Montior to be cast down from the 6th Dimension and reborn on Oa in the Positive Matter Universe and Qward within the Anti-Matter Universe, which was diminished from being the vast outer frontiers of Perpetua's Multiverse to being just another universe within it populated by only one planet.

From there, Mobius began his quest to regain his former power by first constructing the Mobius chair, then gaining control of the Anti-Life Equation.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The idea, as I understand it, is that when The Monitor ratted out Perpetua to the Judges of the Source and they sent the Raptor (who is clearly connected to Hawkgirl) to imprison her within a Source Wall, they then rebooted this Multiverse so that it was purged of Perpetua's manipulations, which also caused The Monitor and The Anti-Montior to be cast down from the 6th Dimension and reborn on Oa in the Positive Matter Universe and Qward within the Anti-Matter Universe, which was diminished from being the vast outer frontiers of Perpetua's Multiverse to being just another universe within it populated by only one planet.

From there, Mobius began his quest to regain his former power by first constructing the Mobius chair, then gaining control of the Anti-Life Equation.
    Thus, were the dual purposes of COIE for the Anti-Monitor to 1). exact revenge against the brother (Monitor Mar Novu) whom he felt had betrayed him and 2). acquire enough power to return to the 6th Dimension?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 04-26-2019 at 02:44 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Thus, were the dual purposes of COIE for the Anti-Monitor to 1). exact revenge against the brother (Monitor Mar Novu) whom he felt had betrayed him and 2). acquire enough power to return to the 6th Dimension?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I think by the time he'd gotten to Crisis on Infinite Earths, The Anti-Monitor was more about burning everything down and making his dominion the only thing left. He'd regained the former power he'd had in the 6th Dimension by absorbing the Anti-Life Equation already.