Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Psylocke hasn’t been actively fighting anything any more than anyone else who has come to be confused by discrepancies. Psylocke questions why she can remember a recurring nightmare but not her mother’s touch. That’s the most character we’ve gotten from her. Jubilee is horrified by the conditions that their prisoner is locked up in but, as she was called out on, does nothing to act against the horrors of such treatment. Northstar literally does nothing one way or the other thus raising the question of why he’s even there in the first place. Bobby jokes around while they’re doing what they do and even speaks of the people as if they’re things. Fred is in the position where he’s doing the wrong thing but genuinely wants to be a good person. Like I said, they’re all hypocrites but with Fred at least trying to be the heart of this group despite the terrible things they do, you can at least feel for him.
    Leah’s said that Psylocke is trying to unravel Nate’s mind control, so her trying to connect with Blob as a way of trying to find herself makes sense. Jubilee is trying to treat the prisoners as well as she can, even reprimanding Bobby for joking about her. Even though that obviously isn't enough, it's telling that their personas are still poking through since X-Man poked and prodded their minds differently than everyone else. Blob is compassionate, but I think that's just who his character is. And his compassion isn't from feeling pity, it's just the product of having memories of growing up in a world that didn't fear or discriminate him from a mutant or fat. He even acts like his love for Psylocke is some drug that he's hooked on.

Leah also said that Northstar is the first one to wake up, so I take him not participating in missions as him being very disgusted with what he's being forced to do yet not knowing why.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix View Post
    LMAO, okay. Are you Leah posting on here?
    yes. im taking questions

hello leah, it is I, jonathan hickman, galaxy brain and master of seduction, wood u liek 2 c mii chartz?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

me, leah williams, am swoonen by this offer of your very holy cherts. all 37 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Psylocke hasn’t been actively fighting anything any more than anyone else who has come to be confused by discrepancies. Psylocke questions why she can remember a recurring nightmare but not her mother’s touch. That’s the most character we’ve gotten from her. Jubilee is horrified by the conditions that their prisoner is locked up in but, as she was called out on, does nothing to act against the horrors of such treatment. Northstar literally does nothing one way or the other thus raising the question of why he’s even there in the first place. Bobby jokes around while they’re doing what they do and even speaks of the people as if they’re things. Fred is in the position where he’s doing the wrong thing but genuinely wants to be a good person. Like I said, they’re all hypocrites but with Fred at least trying to be the heart of this group despite the terrible things they do, you can at least feel for him.
    Betsy and Fred have come the closet to active resistance individually just by letting their attachment to each other persist. Most of we're seeing that the boogymen of Nate's Utopia are engaging in various forms of avoidance and self-delusion:

Bobby is Bobby, trying to cover up his growing unease by needling others with nonsense and non-stop jokes (until his mask slips a bit at the end of issue #1).

Fred is pretending that acting with "compassion" and being the team cheerleader makes him any better than the sum of what he does. I think it might even be fair to read it as, at least in part, guilty overcompensation for his feelings toward Psylocke, though I can also see those being two different issues.

Jubilee seemed to have been up to something since issue #1, but I don't think we're going to get a full reveal on that until her spotlight issue if that's even the case. And while she's been the most vocally opposed to Moneta's dehumanizing of their targets, that hasn't manifested as action that we know about. (We really do need to see some follow-up on her reaction to Nezumi's condition this issue, though.)

Northstar has detached himself from the job. He does his best to not participate in missions (we don't even see him out in the field in other books like we do the others), even mildly objects to them. But it's not like we can paint this passive protest as a good thing either - he doesn't act to stop Moneta, even knowing there's no way she's up to anything good in her visits to Nezumi, he just passes the buck to Psylocke.

Betsy is just a hot mess, honestly. Her head is not in the game at all by this point. I seriously suspect her allowing Fred to keep his feelings for her intact has more to do with her deciding to court danger (a la her action-junkie tendency in 616) than her returning his affections, but we'll see how that progresses in this issue.

The joint decision to keep Nezumi out of the Danger Room was a big step that's accelerated the fissures in the team, but as of yet, I don't think we're at the point of truly pushing back. Like Tycon said, that's probably going to happen next issue when Northstar actually snaps out of it.

Get out the confetti and champagne!

spoilers:
    Moneta's out of the band! She lead the rest of the team into a fight against unarmed mutants who weren't breaking any laws just to prove a point, and Blob more or less fired her on the spot. Now, obviously this is going to come back and bite the team on the ass, but it was extremely satisfying in the moment. XD
    end of spoilers

Hated the art and not a fan of this Betsy/Duke thing going on and hope it doesn't carry over when this event ends.

Ultimate Member

On the latter part we can definitely agree, then again Hickman will change everything so even if it does carry over it won't last very long at all, a blip on the radar if even that much...

I honestly don’t get the gripe people have with the art. Sure it’s a bit different, and it’s not in the same league as the cover art for this series, but it’s not bad in any way. I’ve been enjoying it, and the writing, thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.