Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Leah said that a familiar face/faces will show up as rebels in the last three issues. The only X-characters that are still unaccounted for in AOXM are:
    Trinary, Firestar, Goldballs, No-Girl, Oya, Sprite, Triage, Monet, Nemesis, Prodigy, Rictor, Frenzy, Cypher, Thunderbird, Sage, Sprite, Tempus
    Rictor is pretty much confirmed and we can scratch Monet off the list of potentials. Anyone else?

BANNED

This book is absolutely the worst one in this whole stupid event, Williams really sucks at writing, it's so boring and cringey, Jubilee and the rest of the cast might never recover from this crap

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    This book is absolutely the worst one in this whole stupid event, Williams really sucks at writing, it's so boring and cringey, Jubilee and the rest of the cast might never recover from this crap
    I agree with "cringey" but as a compliment to the writing and the best of what AoXM is accomplishes. I can certainly understand people's disgust and avoidance to William's writing. But I'm fairly positive that's her intent. 'Horror' is a vast genre, but it works on certain beats that are very much at play here.
    Transgressive dystopian weird horror in mainstream comics is exciting to me. Not only because it engages the reader's fascination with repulsion but it challenges the prejudices inherent in pop iconography that limit and control that perception of 'beyond' as a conception itself and limiting. Horror doesn't really work if the one experiencing it isn't made to cringe, tremble and actually feel abjection as a force.

Our own prejudices and intolerance and expectations are the monsters.

I think Williams is fantastic.
    Last edited by sungila; 04-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

This is my least favorite of the AoXM books, it just seems off. It's not as much what they are doing, but snarking in French and Bobby's jokes are annoying.
    I much prefer GenX, Nightcrawler and Prisoner X

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    This is my least favorite of the AoXM books, it just seems off. It's not as much what they are doing, but snarking in French and Bobby's jokes are annoying.
    I much prefer GenX, Nightcrawler and Prisoner X
    It’s not like Bobby or Jean-Paul are acting out of character, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    I agree with "cringey" but as a compliment to the writing and the best of what AoXM is accomplishes.
    so its bad on purpose

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    so its bad on purpose
    um, yea. in a way yes. not 'bad writing' though. there's a whole thing about writing against the grain in genre codified fiction that purposefully transgresses the rules and norms, thereby using those rules and norms in order to 'tell' a story the rules and norms forbid. Mainstream comics in many ways was born from this kind of defiance in disguise, then became the thing that needs to be defied, off with the disguise, in a new disguise.

Andy Warhol's portraits you know? They're kinda bad/good right? But definitely not everybody's thing.

Abjection is the very point of horror. Not bad writing, wrong or weird writing...juxtapositions like 'miraculous poverty' - this unexpectedness, the bewilderment moment is often achieved in a way that repulses as a form of attraction. Like the framing of something normal until its framed and set a certain way.

What is mainstream transgressive popular art in comic books? How important is it to attempt this today? I'd say, very.

Maybe Williams is part of a movement...or as they say these days, a moment.

It's arty I guess. Yet generous and transparent. Williams also uses social media and out-of-the-panel discourse in her work I think...which, the way she's incorporating it all is progressive, transgressive and interesting.
    Last edited by sungila; 04-19-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”

I wanted to like this book. I put this book on my pull list because I wanted to support the writer. Her takes on the X-men on twitter and tumblr made me a fan. I think she has great potential. So far this book has been enjoyable but I'm not here for silly/super funny X-men comics. I like a little humor but prefer the books to be serious and a bit darker with a slight edge.

The covers to this book have been awesome. The art is a bit too cartoony for my taste. It is an interesting book and I will likely continue reading it.

I'm just over this Age of X-man world. Every issue of every book seems like the same thing. We need the story to progress.

BANNED

um, yea. in a way yes. not 'bad writing' though. there's a whole thing about writing against the grain in genre codified fiction that purposefully transgresses the rules and norms, thereby using those rules and norms in order to 'tell' a story the rules and norms forbid. Mainstream comics in many ways was born from this kind of defiance in disguise, then became the thing that needs to be defied, off with the disguise, in a new disguise.

Andy Warhol's portraits you know? They're kinda bad/good right? But definitely not everybody's thing.

Abjection is the very point of horror. Not bad writing, wrong or weird writing...juxtapositions like 'miraculous poverty' - this unexpectedness, the bewilderment moment is often achieved in a way that repulses as a form of attraction. Like the framing of something normal until its framed and set a certain way.

What is mainstream transgressive popular art in comic books? How important is it to attempt this today? I'd say, very.

Maybe Williams is part of a movement...or as they say these days, a moment.

It's arty I guess. Yet generous and transparent. Williams also uses social media and out-of-the-panel discourse in her work I think...which, the way she's incorporating it all is progressive, transgressive and interesting.
    I think it is bad writing and even worse, it's so boring. Williams is much better at writing twitter comments than she is at comics books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Leah said that a familiar face/faces will show up as rebels in the last three issues. The only X-characters that are still unaccounted for in AOXM are:

Rictor is pretty much confirmed and we can scratch Monet off the list of potentials. Anyone else?
    Maybe hopefully Kyle?

Aurora?

Shogo?

Mystique is around and she could/would/might antagonize, catalyze and connect plot lines.

Spiral or somebody from Freedom Force.

Firestar?

Maybe hopefully Kyle?

Aurora?

Shogo?

Mystique is around and she could/would/might antagonize, catalyze and connect plot lines.

Spiral or somebody from Freedom Force.

Firestar?
    Won't be Kyle, Shogo, or Aurora. No unpowered humans were transferred over, and Aurora didn't make the jump. From Williams' blog:

Department X works a little differently–they’ve had most of their familial memories removed. (Betsy’s a different case, but it’s Betsy…she’s the one going into people’s brains.) Jean-Paul doesn’t think Aurora is dead, he thinks he’s never had a sister. Jubilee doesn’t think, god forbid, that something happened to Shogo (who is fine, btw!)–she just doesn’t remember him at all. The reason they’re like this is because having less attachments was supposed to make them better at their jobs, but what Nate didn’t account for was how they’d get closer with each other. They’ve become a found family.
    But Northstar will be dealing with his memories of his old life next issue, so I imagine we'll see flashbacks or something with Kyle and Jeanne-Marie. Shogo we might see memories of in issue #5, when Jubes gets her spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Won't be Kyle, Shogo, or Aurora. No unpowered humans were transferred over, and Aurora didn't make the jump. From Williams' blog:

But Northstar will be dealing with his memories of his old life next issue, so I imagine we'll see flashbacks or something with Kyle and Jeanne-Marie. Shogo we might see memories of in issue #5, when Jubes gets her spotlight.
    This will be interesting, I'm throughly intrigued. Northstar is an almost enigma to me, somehow the most captivating character on the team, despite and because of his distance and odd presence, like he's watching everybody, like he's either on the defensive or offensive...he's certainly up to something. Riding shotgun...

This will be interesting, I'm throughly intrigued. Northstar is an almost enigma to me, somehow the most captivating character on the team, despite and because of his distance and odd presence, like he's watching everybody, like he's either on the defensive or offensive...he's certainly up to something. Riding shotgun...
    Typical behavior among our ilk

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    enough with the French...it doesn't add anything. It just makes her more annoying but I guess thats the point.

Its like me making random Spanish comments consistently in a group with one other latin.

People don't do that in a big group. Or do they? Who knows.

I thought Id like Xtemeist the most but its actually my least favorite. I like Amazing Nightcrawler and NextGen better.
    People do do that. I witness it often in my football league. Doesn’t bother me though.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Trinary, Firestar, Goldballs, No-Girl, Oya, Sprite, Triage, Monet, Nemesis, Prodigy, Rictor, Frenzy, Cypher, Thunderbird, Sage, Sprite, Tempus
    Ys know that list needs more #Str8WhiteDudes why is this list the Only one they aren't the overwhelming majority
    Marvel I �� you....
    Lol #Shade