Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

ISTR hearing that Thor recently did a time freeze. Anyone know the context behind that, and if it would be applicable here?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I'm not really clear on how equalized speed works for flight speed. Like, can the fliers still fly at their incredible high speeds? Is that how Tony can retrieve Shulkie?

This makes sense, since I'm pretty sure equalized speed is supposed to be just turning off reflex speed, but it technically allows a flier to hurl themselves at the opposition at near light speed, just reacting at normal speed on the draw. And that seems against the spirit of things. I dunno, I've always had a little trouble wrapping my head around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I'm not really clear on how equalized speed works for flight speed. Like, can the fliers still fly at their incredible high speeds? Is that how Tony can retrieve Shulkie?

This makes sense, since I'm pretty sure equalized speed is supposed to be just turning off reflex speed, but it technically allows a flier to hurl themselves at the opposition at near light speed, just reacting at normal speed on the draw. And that seems against the spirit of things. I dunno, I've always had a little trouble wrapping my head around it.
    Hrm. I suppose it makes sense that flight gets reduced as well, but to what speed then?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Hrm. I suppose it makes sense that flight gets reduced as well, but to what speed then?
    Equalized. That way I can imagine really slow aerial combat.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Equalized. That way I can imagine really slow aerial combat.
    I suppose equalized to the slowest person's flight speed?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Obviously, all flight is equalized to the speed and maneuverability of Flappy Bird. It's the only fair option.

I suppose equalized to the slowest person's flight speed?
    Would probably make it fair, I suppose. Otherwise we'd have to, what, increase everyone else's (that's applicable) flight speed to some middle ground ?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Would probably make it fair, I suppose. Otherwise we'd have to, what, increase everyone else's (that's applicable) flight speed to some middle ground ?
    Yeah, I suppose otherwise it gets around the whole thing of speed equalized.

I mean if we're going to be technical it still kinda does? Hrm.

I suppose you'd have to equalize travel speed to something like the slowest person's running speed, I dunno, we've never really deeply pondered this whole specific setup.

edit: part of why I prefer fights without serious handicaps.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 04-22-2019 at 10:12 PM.

I suppose you'd have to equalize travel speed to something like the slowest person's running speed, I dunno, we've never really deeply pondered this whole specific setup.

edit: part of why I prefer fights without serious handicaps.
    *scratches chin* Hmm. I suppose it could use some discussing.

Personally, I have always viewed "equal speed" as a reaction time and /attack/ speed thing. It wouldn't touch straight line travel speeds.

They all have equal reaction speeds. They can all throw punches or kicks at the same speeds. Otherwise, Superman doesn't need near light reflexes to just smash his arm left and right at 83% of C into Thor's face. A situation I believe most OP's are trying to avoid.

So yeah. Personal view is that it affects reactions and attack speed specifically.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I think the discussion mostly gets into what a weird construct "equal speed" is for the pondering you have to do for its approaches.

Yeah, I suppose otherwise it gets around the whole thing of speed equalized.

I mean if we're going to be technical it still kinda does? Hrm.
    To a degree I suppose, it's a weird spot to be in really.

Also sort of telling in a way I suppose, about the hoops one needs to go through to prevent curbstomps sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    *scratches chin* Hmm. I suppose it could use some discussing.

Personally, I have always viewed "equal speed" as a reaction time and /attack/ speed thing. It wouldn't touch straight line travel speeds.

They all have equal reaction speeds. They can all throw punches or kicks at the same speeds. Otherwise, Superman doesn't need near light reflexes to just smash his arm left and right at 83% of C into Thor's face. A situation I believe most OP's are trying to avoid.

So yeah. Personal view is that it affects reactions and attack speed specifically.
    Okay so my with it would be ... equal reaction speed right ?

Someone who can fly near C/at C or above, is just gonna slam into the person who can't, at speed. I suppose it makes it a bit hinkier, as to whether or not they manage to do so; but it's still a "better than 90%" chance I figure, unless the other person is equally as fast flight speed wise ... or is a teleporter/has a means of preventing the hit. Unless you're figuring it'd go something like Death Seed Sentry vs. Thor , where the blitzee isn't OSKO'd ?

Arx Inosaan

I think the discussion mostly gets into what a weird construct "equal speed" is for the pondering you have to do for its approaches.
    That's fair.

The appeal of the stipulation for me personally, is that it offers up more Rumbles opportunities that feel more like what could occur "in-comic" without going so far as to literally argue PIS for your win condition.* I literally have more potential fights I can cram Superman into without the obvious result being "he turns them to paste at .001 seconds". There is a point to be made I'm sure that it's pretty telling one would need to force such a colossal handicap onto a character to achieve some sort of desired outcome, Colonel GM style, but think of all the discussion we have in this thread alone that would otherwise have recieved a one post response of "blitz - limit dance". It's more exciting for me as a Rumbler and a casual observer of Rumbles when there are some expanded parameters for debate. ^_^

* Yes I am keenly aware that "forgets speed" is PIS rule #1 but at least here, Clark remembers he can BFR, spam HV and pressure point lol. Not just standing there, mouth agape, waiting to get hit CW Barry style.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 04-22-2019 at 10:51 PM.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Okay so my with it would be ... equal reaction speed right ?

Someone who can fly near C/at C or above, is just gonna slam into the person who can't, at speed. I suppose it makes it a bit hinkier, as to whether or not they manage to do so; but it's still a "better than 90%" chance I figure, unless the other person is equally as fast flight speed wise ... or is a teleporter/has a means of preventing the hit. Unless you're figuring it'd go something like Death Seed Sentry vs. Thor , where the blitzee isn't OSKO'd ?
    I would also argue that one good slam shouldn't finish the job 100% of the time against a similarly built yet slower opponent yeah. Or, have them fight a team so they have to choose a target.

Edit: and isn't it then possible, reactions equaled, that one guy starts dodging at the bell and the other guy can't course correct and slams into the Arena? I think even Pen argued some thing like that as a thing in a recent "MCU Thor vs. Nuclear Man" thread. Correct me if I'm wrong of course!
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 04-22-2019 at 10:49 PM.
    - big_adventure

Edit: and isn't it then possible, reactions equaled, that one guy starts dodging at the bell and the other guy can't course correct and slams into the Arena? I think even Pen argued some thing like that as a thing in a recent "MCU Thor vs. Nuclear Man" thread. Correct me if I'm wrong of course!
    That's a reason not to do that move, yes, but it doesn't ameliorate a variety of other problems that still exist under this setup that you have to work out as being things that get around it or not.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 04-23-2019 at 12:01 AM.