Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Luckily Bendis never once answers the question of how long Jon was in the volcano (even when Clark asks).
    That does give some wiggle room for interpretation. Still, it's far less time in space and more time on earth-3 than I'd have liked.

I wouldn't count out space prince Jon yet.
    Oh, Im not. Bendis has telegraphed the direction he wants to go here, and I'm all for it. But what sounds better for the Space Prince? Spending a total of two years on earth-3 and five in space......or five on earth-3 and two in space? I'd rather have the former. And while I'm not recalling the details (I used to retain this stuff so well....now its all boring adult crap) Jon *was* on earth-3 for five years, right?

But, and I don't really wanna speak for Ascended, "space prince" is more so just short hand for Young Well Traveled Space Adventurer, and that's not really headcanon at all. Jon makes mention of doing a lot of space adventuring with Jor-El. It's in the text. The degree is up for debate, but as I've mentioned before, the alien slang Jon uses in issues 8 and 9 seem to indicate he's made his way about a fair bit of space for it to have rubbed off on him.
    Nope, you can totally speak for me on this since we're in agreement here. "Space Prince" is not a literal title or description, just short hand for a broader concept.

Love me some cosmic Superman. Cosmic Superboy is just fine too, and I love that Bendis is leaning into these elements that have practically always been there. About time someone went all out with it. In fact, this is probably one of the only directions they could've taken Jon that could make me forgive the aging thing. If I get a good cosmic Superboy out of this, I'll consider the loss of the ten year old an even trade.

Of course, with mini's and teen imprints, there's really no need for us to lose ten year old Jon anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    If that’s what you meant by “space prince” then perhaps you should just read the current super sons mini if that’s what you were looking for.
    I am, and its a lot of fun. Ten year old Jon is a treasure. I'm also enjoying seeing where things go with teen Jon in Superman. We're getting the basics of teen Jon's "origin" and I'm curious to see how things will look once the dust settles. I might not like it, I might find it inferior to ten year old Jon, but I'm intrigued by what this could end up being.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    then perhaps you should just read the current super sons mini if that’s what you were looking for
    I gave it an shot, but I didn't find myself clicking with it the same way I did early Super Sons.

To me, it doesn’t seem to me that there’s all that much to flesh out anyway.
    That's cool. I didn't really get the vibe you'd personally think there'd be more than that.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

No snark intended, but did you overlook the section of my post where I compare space to the sea? A random black hole is pretty obviously the same sort of twist of fate that a spot of really bad weather would be on the sea. The "island" Jon is stranded on is a whole other Earth adrift in time and space.
    No, I get what you are trying to say. But the comparison doesn't work since Jon is literally held hostage twice. He's not trapped by circumstance. He's kidnapped, held against his will. Once by Jor-El and once by Ultraman. This isn't like being stranded on an island or the wilderness. It's being held against your will. Different beast.

I genuinely don't understand why this is even being brought up. You're right. Jon isn't Brian Robeson. There is also no mention made of Jon having to "kill to be a man." I didn't think I needed to say it, but this was never intended to be a 1 to 1 comparison. Both The Hatchet and Cast Away had wildly different themes and ideas that they wanted to touch on while using the stranded-far-from-home setting/idea as a stage. That setting/idea isn't really beholden to too many iron clad conventions outside of the protagonist being cut off in a physical sense. One concept that I do think is intrinsic and almost impossible to shake when using this idea is self-sufficiency. That's something that the The Hatchet, Cast Away, and Jon's time on Earth-3 have very much in common. When it comes to Jon's story specifically, his moment of triumph into manhood was when he used his ingenuity, courage, and grit to escape the first section of his "island." Nothing to do with killing.
    The killing was mentioned because it is born out of the very same ideas your highlighting here. The idea that by undergoing a harsh trial, a person somehow achieves manhood. We hear about how a person becomes a man by getting tough, pushing down emotions, getting with a girl, killing. Not all of that applies to Jon's story here, but it still relates to this idea that manhood is somehow achieved through some already preconceived notion of what a man is supposed to be. "Manning up," as it were. That's all bullshit, representing an old-style of masculinity that we should long be putting to bed. Being stranded on an island or trapped in a volcano doesn't make a person a man. A single defining experience doesn't make a person a man. There's no real line between boy and man and claiming that a single incident, especially something that should be traumatizing, makes you into one is crap. Jon was already self-reliant, independent, and a decent human being. He saved the world multiple times. He was more of a "man" before he went on this stupid journey than most men ever become. His character simply didn't need something like this to grow.

I find myself far less worried about how long Jon spent in the volcano than most because Bendis literally never puts a number to it. All we know is that Jon was 11 when he got there, and it's most likely that he left during the full swing of puberty, so that could have been when he was anywhere between 13 and 17. That's a lot of room. The art is also vague enough that he's clearly hit puberty, but there'd be no way to tell specifically how old he was during his escape. And to top that off, Jon says "everywhere I went there was trouble, and everywhere I went someone needed help." and also specifically says in his "travels." That implies that he spent a good deal of time on Earth-3 outside of the volcano trying to figure stuff out, and helping people. That could've been years. I genuinely think he was in that volcano for (depending on when he turns 12) 1 to 2 years, and then spent the next 3 to 4 years on Earth-3.
    You're really reaching here. There was nothing to indicate he spent years trying to find his way back from the volcano. In fact, it doesn't make sense, because the next place we see him is the first place anyone would have looked for a way back to his own world. That part was weeks, at most.

Incidentally, have you (or anyone else reading) read Greg Rucka and Russell Dauterman's 2014 Cyclops book? Few fun facts: spins directly out of a Bendis status quo (young X-Men in the present), Bendis sets up the idea that young Scott elects to go out into space with his oh-yeah-I'm-not-dead estranged father, goes on swash buckling adventures on alien worlds, has to navigate a parental figure who may have a serious health issue, and, oh yeah, gets stranded on a planet with no rescue in sight.

Hell, our young protagonist is even electing to do this in part because he's scared of becoming the bad future version of himself!! If I didn't know Bendis wasn't working at DC when Oz Effect and Sons of Tomorrow were being written I'd have thought he asked for both.And let me just, Rucka does pretty great work with Scott, the space stuff, and all of the emotional heavy lifting needed to make it all work.

Rucka left the book after issue 5 (of 12), but I wonder if he had some more he wanted to explore/say. I wonder the odds of those Lost Years showing up under Rucka's pen? Long shot, yes, but you gotta admit the comparisons are unmistakable.
    I have read it (or at least, Rucka's five issues). I loved it, which was surprising cause I hate X-Men in space, but it was a very different animal than this. Young Cyclops wasn't getting aged up, the narrative wasn't all over the place, and Rucka is able to portray the subtleties and complex realities of that father-son dynamic in a way that Bendis has not proven able to do in his Superman run. Plus, since Cyclops wasn't being aged up, the development worked much better.

Side note: The reason Rucka left the book is most likely because his father died right around then. I think writing a book about a father and son right after his father died was too hard for him emotionally. While disappointing to see him go, it would be a completely understandable reason.

Either way, I don't think it is comparable to what is happening now. Cyclops wasn't kidnapped. Jon was. TWICE. Cyclops was there of his own free will. And the any parallels about being worried about evil versions of yourself aren't there, because Jon has not referenced Super Sons of Tomorrow in that sense once. He's only mentioned being rejected by the Titans.

There could have a great story about Jon on a cosmic roadtrip, but that only really would have worked if he had stayed ten. Aging him up like this ensured that this story was going to be a total mess.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Aye yai yai. IDK who it was that first tried to introduce "Happy go lucky" as an element of Superman but that person is a moron. This post is sort of microcosm of what's wrong with modern Superman. He and his universe just lack any of the elements that make the original Superman so electrifying and amazing.

Superman was created in the mid to late 30's, rampant poverty, inequality, genocide, war, etc. Why in the world has modern Superman attempted at branding himself as naive or innocent when it has nothing to do with him or his franchise. The guy exposed corruption with his writing and was a ferocious combatant. He's not suppose to be innocent and anyone that's read the material of his origin knows that. Superman or at least the one that mattered was a man of perseverance and had taken his fair share of rigors through life and WAS stronger for it. He was a positive example of how the problems you encounter in life can push you into a positive direction.

This modern cat though grew up basically sheltered and was a weak alternative to characters like Batman or the Punisher which is why that angle has popularized so much over the last couple decades or so. My dead parent, my dead wife/husband/principal/goldfish/whatever, life is unfair therefore I'm pissed off all the time. Superman USED to have his fair share of tragedy but the guy pushed through and WAS stronger for it but he was never the sort of "broken' schlub that's been popularized in the last couple decades as some kind of sexy tragic figure.

If Jon and frankly his father ever want to the see the mountain top again they would do well to read into the characters own past and remember why the character was a success in the first place.

tl;dr - If you want to solve the angry tragic male figure character you want to lean into Superman's old school masculinity traits now away from them.
    Wow. Wow. Wow. Pretty much making me feel pretty secure in what I was saying before.

A. Jon Kent is not Clark Kent. Calling Jon Kent "Happy-go-lucky" is not a reflection on Clark, but I seem to have hit a nerve there.
    B. Experiencing and overcoming trauma or tragedy never makes a person stronger. Never. That's some bullshit myth we tell ourselves. It might change someone, but it never makes them stronger. That's a ridiculous Hunter Zolomon-esque way of thing.
    C. If you think modern comics Superman is a broken schlub in anyway, you've been reading a very different Superman than I have since Rebirth started.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Side note: The reason Rucka left the book is most likely because his father died right around then. I think writing a book about a father and son right after his father died was too hard for him emotionally. While disappointing to see him go, it would be a completely understandable reason.
    That's just awful to hear. He was doing fantastic work on that book, but who could blame him for not continuing that particular story in the face of something like that.

Only in the interest of not derailing the thread: If Rucka were ever up for it (and this is by no means some gross and inhuman "fan demand"), I'd be just be so damn pumped if he got to do the Jon/Jor-El stuff I've been hoping to see fleshed out. For me (obviously not for you), it's my one big inescapable gripe in regards to the Jon stuff. And I think it would go a long way towards letting people get further inside Jon's head these days. While it's been made clear that Bendis has plans to do that with his current teenage state (catching up with Damian), I still think I need to read more about the lead up to his current state without the reduced space of a book that isn't his. This would require 100% Jon time. The main book just has too much on its plate (and should ultimately be about Clark) to be going back and giving this the proper twice over it needs. And maybe Rucka might get to explore some stuff he wasn't quite ready to get to 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-21-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love the whole "prisoner on Earth 3" angle, and Jon being aged up.

No, I get what you are trying to say. But the comparison doesn't work since Jon is literally held hostage twice. He's not trapped by circumstance. He's kidnapped, held against his will. Once by Jor-El and once by Ultraman. This isn't like being stranded on an island or the wilderness. It's being held against your will. Different beast.
    Oh I wish he actually was kidnapped by Jor-El. I still would have been pissed about this whole thing but my respect for Lois and Clark would have at least remained in tact. I would have at least been happy knowing they didn't just let these awful things happen to their kid.

As for the imprisonment on Earth-3 thing. While that's honestly the thing I hate the least about Jon's time in space, I do agree that it was totally pointless for a character like Jon, who was already as pure and righteous of a character as you can get (even more than his Dad, honestly). Unlike everything else Bendis has done, I at least understand what he was trying to do (at least I think), It just wreaked of Tom King levels of unnecessary drama. Except when King does traumatizing **** like this to his characters, it leaves an impact. When Bendis does it...well...we'll have to see but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the ordeal ends up contributing nothing to Jon's growth as a character like it already hasn't. He went in as a bright-eyed and idealistic kid and came out the exact the same way...albeit not a kid anymore.

If there's anything to get out of this, I'm hoping it's done with another, better, writer. Kind of like how I hated the teenage version of Jean Grey when she was written by Bendis. Like...I had never actively disliked a comic book character so much in my life. But then once other writers got a hold of her, she ended up being my favorite of the O5 and I was genuinely sad to see her go. I'm hoping that ends up being the case for these changes to the Superman status quo setup at the start of Rebirth. These changes may suck now, but hopefully another writer can come in and try and salvage them into something...good. Keep Bendis on Action, give him the Lois series, keep him on the teenage and street level heroes like Naomi and Young Justice. But everything he's done with Superman and Jon is just more reason why taking him out of his niche is almost always a bad idea.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Oh I wish he actually was kidnapped by Jor-El. I still would have been pissed about this whole thing but my respect for Lois and Clark would have at least remained in tact. I would have at least been happy knowing they didn't just let these awful things happen to their kid.
    Jor-El didn't grab Jon off the street and force him into his spaceship, but he actually did kidnap him. Jon wanted to go home and Jor-El wouldn't take him. That is kidnapping.
    Currently Reading:

Jor-El didn't grab Jon off the street and force him into his spaceship, but he actually did kidnap him. Jon wanted to go home and Jor-El wouldn't take him.
    I'd say that requires a bit of context. Jon did express that he wanted to go home to the GLs in issue 8, and Jor-El did overhear. That's facts. But it's also true that in that same moment Jor-El says I'm sorry about that. I was just--I'll take you home." And Jon immediately replies "no. No. That's okay." From that point till just before the black hole, it's "Summer grandpa didn't speak to me."

This is a messy situation because it's a minor and an adult who seems to be either unaware or in denial of their mental illness. Jor-El seems to be convinced that Jon is a kindred and equally lost spirit, and possibly the only being in the universe that can help him find answers, so he takes it hard when that same person--his grandson no less--wants to leave him.

Now it's totally possibly that they were actually on their way home just before the black hole, and Jor-El didn't speak to him because he was feeling betrayed by his grandson (he recognizes this as not being the case when he says he's sorry). And it's also possible that Jor-El took Jon's "no. That's okay." as a signal to go on, but he still felt shame because he knew the kid was just doing it for his sake, and he had every intention of letting it continue. Both are pretty valid readings because it's left pretty ambiguous.

Mighty Member

I'd say that requires a bit of context. Jon did express that he wanted to go home to the GLs in issue 8, and Jor-El did overhear. That's facts. But it's also true that in that same moment Jor-El says I'm sorry about that. I was just--I'll take you home." And Jon immediately replies "no. No. That's okay." From that point till just before the black hole, it's "Summer grandpa didn't speak to me."

This is a messy situation because it's a minor and an adult who seems to be either unaware or in denial of their mental illness. Jor-El seems to be convinced that Jon is a kindred and equally lost spirit, and possibly the only being in the universe that can help him find answers, so he takes it hard when that same person--his grandson no less--wants to leave him.

Now it's totally possibly that they were actually on their way home just before the black hole, and Jor-El didn't speak to him because he was feeling betrayed by his grandson (he recognizes this as not being the case when he says he's sorry). And it's also possible that Jor-El took Jon's "no. That's okay." as a signal to go on, but he still felt shame because he knew the kid was just doing it for his sake, and he had every intention of letting it continue. Both are pretty valid readings because it's left pretty ambiguous.
    Yeah, anytime you have an adult not speaking to a minor for an extended period of time, that's a a huge issue. If Jor-El didn't talk to Jon for a whole summer, that's really a form of abuse. That's neglect. There's nothing sympathetic about the way Jor-El is acting. The whole situation is just super weird and problematic any way you slice it. I feel like Bendis is just writing first drafts and then moving on, not taking the time to consider how these characters are coming off.

More weirdness I'm realizing. Why the hell doesn't Jon want to call home? 11-year-olds miss their parents. They wouldn't go for such an extended period of time without wanting to call home. Sure Clark's communicator got destroyed, but why does at no point Jon go, "Hey, I haven't heard from my parents in months. Can we swing by Earth to make sure they didn't get killed by a supervillian?" The way Bendis has been writing Jon just feels really inauthentic and out of character.
    Currently Reading:

Incredible Member

I've already said this in the relevant issue threads, but since there's a thread on this specifically; This situation is completely unacceptable to me as a new permanent status quo. I wasn't on board with the age up to begin with, and with this being how Jon spent his time any chance selling me on this went down the drain. You try to fudge things but, the facts are Jon has spent 6-7 years of his life on earth three, either being tortured in the volcano, or alone and on the run in hiding. He wasn't having fun adventure in outer space. There is no way around this. Logically this should have left Jon with a massive case of trauma, but it hasn't. Our choices are either more heroes with ptsd, which I for one have had enough of, or we ignore it(which is the direction they're going), which is bad writing. It's transparently obvious the only reason for them to age up Jon like this and so much is to get him so he no longer is no longer in need of Clark or Lois and the three of them can be more "independent" which seems to be the main argument for people who are supporting this. I don't think them being more "independent" is worth this kind of baggage as well what else we're losing. Right now my best hope is Jon is right about spending a year with Jor-El before going back in time and they end up rescuing the younger Jon and preventing him from going back in time in the first place. Because I'm not coming back unless we get the younger Jon back.

Yeah, anytime you have an adult not speaking to a minor for an extended period of time, that's a a huge issue. If Jor-El didn't talk to Jon for a whole summer, that's really a form of abuse. That's neglect. There's nothing sympathetic about the way Jor-El is acting. The whole situation is just super weird and problematic any way you slice it. I feel like Bendis is just writing first drafts and then moving on, not taking the time to consider how these characters are coming off.
    I dont think we're supposed to sympathize with Jor-El or agree with his actions. The man is mentally ill, acting as such, and that's the real thrust of that dynamic; the exploration of a mentally unbalanced adult and a kid who doesn't really understand why this adult is acting this way, but still cares and wants to help. Or at least be there.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dont think we're supposed to sympathize with Jor-El or agree with his actions. The man is mentally ill, acting as such, and that's the real thrust of that dynamic; the exploration of a mentally unbalanced adult and a kid who doesn't really understand why this adult is acting this way, but still cares and wants to help. Or at least be there.
    That doesn't make it not a problem that Jon was put in that dynamic.

Which brings us back to, why did hell did Lois and Clark let their kid go off with a mentally unbalanced stranger with a known history of kidnapping people?
    Currently Reading:

More weirdness I'm realizing. Why the hell doesn't Jon want to call home? 11-year-olds miss their parents. They wouldn't go for such an extended period of time without wanting to call home. Sure Clark's communicator got destroyed, but why does at no point Jon go, "Hey, I haven't heard from my parents in months. Can we swing by Earth to make sure they didn't get killed by a supervillian?" The way Bendis has been writing Jon just feels really inauthentic and out of character.
    But is there any direct confirmation that Jon DIDN'T try and get ahold of his dad?

We were given the highlights over just 4 issues of his seven years away. Jon could've tried to get in touch with his dad just before he tried to catch a ride with the GLs. Jon likely thought his dad was busy or in some big adventure. Jon is shown to have nothing but confidence in what his dad can do and who he is. Even when on Earth-3 he assumes his dad will get him. But the main thing that likely kept him from dwelling on the what ifs too much was the fact that he and Jor-El were always on missions together. Jon points out that they'd regularly get sort of lost in going g from missions to mission.

Plus, after the point when Jor-El finds out he was thinking about going home, Jon didn't seem to want to make his grandfather feel any worse.

Mighty Member

But is there any direct confirmation that Jon DIDN'T try and get ahold of his dad?

We were given the highlights over just 4 issues of his seven years away. Jon could've tried to get in touch with his dad just before he tried to catch a ride with the GLs. Jon likely thought his dad was busy or in some big adventure. Jon is shown to have nothing but confidence in what his dad can do and who he is. Even when on Earth-3 he assumes his dad will get him. But the main thing that likely kept him from dwelling on the what ifs too much was the fact that he and Jor-El were always on missions together. Jon points out that they'd regularly get sort of lost in going g from missions to mission.

Plus, after the point when Jor-El finds out he was thinking about going home, Jon didn't seem to want to make his grandfather feel any worse.
    Ummmm, no. None of that works at all. If you've been gone months and no one is picking up the phone, you would want to go home to make sure you're parents are okay. And Kids Jon's age don't go months without contacting their parents. There's absolutely no excuse that explains that omission away, even protecting Jor-El's feelings, which is bull. You can try to explain it away all you want, but it really doesn't make a damn bit of sense. No kid with a stable and healthy relationship with their parents goes months without talking to them.
    Currently Reading:

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

From my perspective, jon space trip and his return has been nothing but underwhelming. It's like bendis just ran through it. No, individual will be fine after getting tortured in a volcano by someone that looks like your father for significant part of your childhood. Writing for jon has been sub-par. Bendis has yet to show jon having any wear and tear wether it be physical or mental. No, i am not saying make jon angsty.But, being all happy and cheery like this is hard to digest. Even if, he is just excited and proud to get home by himself. It feels like the smiling meme of bvs.

And I feel like people are looking too much into it. It is just a simple direction change. The head honchos at DC and Bendis wanted jon to be at a certain place now. So, they got them there by ignoring previous "protective parents" portrayal in the previous run.

why? Who Knows? Maybe they thought they could get rid of him easier that way.Or maybe bendis wanted jon to be clean slate and make the character his own.

And i don't buy that didio is backing continued existence jon in main continuity. He might like the concept and market potential of "the son of superman" , but he has zoom and ink line for exploring that. i don't think optimistic swash buckling superfamily adventures has been didio's cup of tea.

So yeah! They don't really care about in story reasoning or if it fits the previously established traits of characters. This is simply like how they broke up Wonder woman and superman during the start of dc rebirth.With Wonder woman being like "it was too easy".