Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

That's the key, all this crap getting retconned. I dropped the book almost immediately so I have no idea what's going on but I'm assuming a sort of 'back door' has been left regarding the unnecessary aging of Jon--when Jor El is returned to his proper place and role in the timeline and this Oz stuff is undone, he will have never taken Jon away to begin with. I've no idea if this could even somehow work as I've not been reading the book.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

BANNED

I too also think this older Jon thing is just a temporary Bendis gimmick. DC have no problem promoting younger Jon in other books like DCeased and his cameos in Justice League

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I too also think this older Jon thing is just a temporary Bendis gimmick. DC have no problem promoting younger Jon in other books like DCeased and his cameos in Justice League
    One is a out continuity cameo and the other is a flashback, neither is a indication of Jon's future. We know this will at last going into 2020, so if you consider that temporary sure..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    One is a out continuity cameo and the other is a flashback, neither is a indication of Jon's future.
    When did I say it was? All I was pointing out was that DC still prefer to market him in his more familiar form outside of what Bendis has done.

We know this will at last going into 2020, so if you consider that temporary sure..
    What exactly is your point here?

The 05 X-Men, brought in by Bendis, lasted for six or seven years and they're gone now, Riri took Tony Stark's place for a year or so, and now she's stepped aside for Tony again

You know as well as I do everything in comics is temporary.

Jon will be young again. Fact.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-03-2019 at 06:10 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Insinuating there are levels of subjectivity now is kind of producing the same read from me.
    Pretty much, yeah, but primarily just for relatability and interpretation of story. I just think interpretation of story is a more straight forward thing to discuss. And I freely admit this is my own basis on both subjects. It's just always been my experience that the subject of a character's relatability has more spinning plates than most subjects. Like, this is a baseline relatability that most can get as the intent to be relatable, but then there's other forms of relatability that are more up for debate because it depends on what the reader sees of themselves, and how the author intended to communicate the relatability. The most we can say is what we did and didn't personally find relatable and keep it movin'.

So sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    When did I say it was? All I was pointing out was that DC still prefer to market him in his more familiar form outside of what Bendis has done.
    Honestly, I think they're waiting. If Jon's true purpose turns out to be what basically all of us are speculating--aka the Legion--then they'll start marketing the crap out of teen Jon and the Legion. They'd have to. Plus Jon's only 4 issues post-age up. Can't have another writer spoil dynamics that haven't even been hashed out in the books they're intended for.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

SPOILERS FOR AVENGERS ENDGAME.
    spoilers:
    as far as I’m concerned the Russo’s have already done this same concept in a way that puts Bendis to shame. What happened to Scott Lang and his family works because how and why it happened made sense. While here, it doesn’t. I actually felt bad for Scott for what he missed. While here, I don’t feel a goddamn thing for the Kents because I’m too busy questioning why the hell did Clark let Jon go in the first place? Why did Lois ditch him? Why is Jon barely phased by his ordeal? It’s all so forced and contrived that whatever pathos Bendis wanted to achieve, failed miserably. If he had come up with a believable story behind this. Then I’d be on board. As it is, it’s not just Jon’s age that needs reversing. This whole story needs retconning. Imo
    end of spoilers

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Honestly, I think they're waiting. If Jon's true purpose turns out to be what basically all of us are speculating--aka the Legion--then they'll start marketing the crap out of teen Jon and the Legion. They'd have to. Plus Jon's only 4 issues post-age up. Can't have another writer spoil dynamics that haven't even been hashed out in the books they're intended for.
    Honestly, i feel like fans are more excited and scared to see his reunion with Damian, than seeing him joining the Legion. I feel, it is just further proof of the disconnect between what fans want and the current dc leadership's creative decisions regarding the character. Him getting shipped of into the legion is not that exciting, if he is getting cut off from damian, his dad and his wish to join the titans is unfulfilled/left hanging.i especially feel this way after reading justice league issue and dceased first issue. This just screams like a mistake and missed opportunity.

Family status quo is not something that should be pushed aside or seen as some kind of chain that limits clark's/superman's story potential. I feel with the family Clark has more to lose and it is more personal than without them. It is sad that bendis has not fully utilised that his entire run, compared to dceased one issue by tom taylor.

Jon got kidnapped. He got stuck in a alien world with a torturer dad look alike and lost his childhood. Clark/lois lost time with his kid and lost the chance to watch him grow up. I don't feel anything for them. So much drama and so little depth of emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Honestly, i feel like fans are more excited and scared to see his reunion with Damian, than seeing him joining the Legion.
    Well, yeah, why wouldn't they be? But that wasn't actually what we were talking about when I posted that. We were talking about how Jon his being used outside of the Superman books. He's show up as a child during a flashback in Justice League. I simply said that it's most likely that we'll get more teenage Jon in other books once 1) Bendis gets more into how he bounces off his other characters because you can't very well have Justice League being the one to set the tone for how Superman and his son interact, and 2) when Jon likely helps to usher in the return of the Legion.

But for whatever it's worth, Bendis has been hyping up Jon and Damian seeing one other again.

Den of Geek: "Changing Jon this way will affect the entire continuity. Will we get to see a little bit of those ripple effects, including how things will look between him and his formerly older buddy Damian Wayne?"

Bendis: "First of all, not a little bit. Out of all the ripple effects, the only reason to do something like this is to feel the ripple effects so we can have those dramatic moments between the characters that we never thought we'd see. They get to really experience each other in a new, exciting way. So, yes to all of that, and it won't be little. It'll be enormous."

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...on-of-superboy

He seems keenly aware that outside of Jon seeing his parents again, the reunion with best friend Damian is what fans are most looking forward to. The comics themselves even have Jon mention catching up Damian when he gets back from the Unity Saga. On Twitter Bendis also said that he's pretty well known for paying special attention to the friendships characters have. He specifically cites Miles and Ganke from Spider-Man, but I'd even extend it the lesser know Jessica and Carol from Jessica Jones/Alias. Same goes for characters he didn't create like Luke and Danny (he even had Jessica and Luke name their child after him).

And as a bit of speculation on my part: I think because Bendis is the guy who more often than not loves it when a character has a family come back to, and a best friend to bounce off, I'd say the term "shipping him off" may not be appropriate. "Commute" between the present and the future sounds more likely. Similar to how Lois is in a more autonomous position and heading her own book while still being able to interact with Clark whenever the writer wants, I think Jon's gonna do the same with the Legion. It's clear Bendis wants to create a clear level of room between the Superman family, but he doesn't seem to want to take anyone out of the equation. In fact, given the fact that he's letting Sam in on the secret, and having them eventually work with Jor-El seems to indicate that he likes adding and keeping characters.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

What i was saying is that, jon joining legion is the least exciting thing about Jon's return. So pushing and marketing that angle seems rather counterproductive. Especially, if he is not going to be in main books and supersons is not going to be relaunched again.Am i supposed to be excited about jon joining the legion at the expense of supersons or titans. It just doesn't feel smart.

Especially, if he is not going to be in main books
    I think he's going to remain in the main books about as frequently as Lois, thus still showing up on occasion, but have a place outside of them to spread wings.

Mighty Member

Pretty much, yeah, but primarily just for relatability and interpretation of story. I just think interpretation of story is a more straight forward thing to discuss. And I freely admit this is my own basis on both subjects. It's just always been my experience that the subject of a character's relatability has more spinning plates than most subjects. Like, this is a baseline relatability that most can get as the intent to be relatable, but then there's other forms of relatability that are more up for debate because it depends on what the reader sees of themselves, and how the author intended to communicate the relatability. The most we can say is what we did and didn't personally find relatable and keep it movin'.

So sorry for any confusion.
    Fair enough. It's cool.

Jon got kidnapped. He got stuck in a alien world with a torturer dad look alike and lost his childhood. Clark/lois lost time with his kid and lost the chance to watch him grow up. I don't feel anything for them. So much drama and so little depth of emotion.
    So true.

I think he's going to remain in the main books about as frequently as Lois, thus still showing up on occasion, but have a place outside of them to spread wings.
    He had that. That was Super Sons. And people loved it. So basically, if the Legion thing comes to pass, it was a serious case of: "It ain't broke. No need to fix it." It's so freaking unnecessary.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

One character that I haven't seen mentioned in the Legion is Mon-El. I think it would be unnecessary for Jon to be in the Legion if Mon-El is their. 2 Superboys in one group.

But "Superboy & The Legion" would sell more books than "Mon-El & The Legion" would. Jon's popular, and the Legion hasn't been in a long time. Putting Jon in the title would make a lot of sense from a marketing perspective.

I do hope that, when/if the Legion returns, Gar is with them. He's a great character with a fascinating journey. But there's room in the Legion for both a Superboy and a Valor (and I friggin hope Valor becomes the name again because Mon-El is just horrible as a superhero moniker, in-story reasons for it be damned).

If the Legion rumors turn out to be true, I could see it being a "weekend" thing for Jon, like it was for Clark once upon a time. Jon stays in the present during the week, giving him time to spend with his parents, Damian, the Titans, whoever (thus not ruling out a Super Sons return title or Titans membership) but on weekends he's with the Legion.

Other heroes handle being on multiple teams at the same time, this wouldn't be any different aside from instead of going from the East coast to the West, he'd go from the 21st century to the 31st. More Morrisonian "regular life through a crazy Super lens" stuff, and we know Bendis is leaning hard into that concept.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-03-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Honestly I'm not convinced Jon would be much of a boost to the Legion via just his name either. Jon's popular, but at the same time his popularity often is exaggerated in the sense that its not like he has main draw power. You need something else as a main draw and I just don't think the Legion is equipped to handle its own monthly anymore, and hasn't been for some time hence why it keeps failing. I think it needs a bigger name like Superman again to build up steam. And even then I don't think it'd be easy. Its a different time and the Legion just hasn't been popular in a long time. I mean, maybe Bendis' plans will yield success where other ideas haven't. But as happy as I'll be to see them back, I'll remain skeptical it can sustain itself on its own till I see it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-03-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Honestly I'm not convinced Jon would be much of a boost to the Legion via just his name either. Jon's popular, but at the same time his popularity often is exaggerated in the sense that its not like he has main draw power. You need something else as a main draw and I just don't think the Legion is equipped to handle its own monthly anymore, and hasn't been for some time hence why it keeps failing. I think it needs a bigger name like Superman again to build up steam. And even then I don't think it'd be easy. Its a different time and the Legion just hasn't been popular in a long time. I mean, maybe Bendis' plans will yield success where other ideas haven't. But as happy as I'll be to see them back, I'll remain skeptical it can sustain itself on its own till I see it.
    I sort of agree. I don't think Jon's popularity is necessarily exaggerated, but the Jon Kent that was popular was the 10-year-old version. The age-up has been received controversially at best, and a lot of Jon fans probably wouldn't follow a 17-year-old version of him to the legion. The Legion would have to be the main draw, not some significantly less popular version of Jon.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers