Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    He had that. That was Super Sons. And people loved it. So basically, if the Legion thing comes to pass, it was a serious case of: "It ain't broke. No need to fix it." It's so freaking unnecessary.
    I not arguing with this one bit honestly. The books have the same function as far as Jon goes. That's 100% true. Maybe what ended up tipping the scales was just the need to bring the Legion in on stable ground, and building it on the back of the still forming but inherently popular Jon Kent may be the the idea?

As Ascended pointed out, I hope it's a weekend thing like a young Clark used to have. That would leave a lot of room for adventures with Damian, and maybe even a Super Sons relaunch. But obviously it wouldn't be quite the same given the age up.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Honestly I'm not convinced Jon would be much of a boost to the Legion via just his name either. Jon's popular, but at the same time his popularity often is exaggerated in the sense that its not like he has main draw power. You need something else as a main draw and I just don't think the Legion is equipped to handle its own monthly anymore, and hasn't been for some time hence why it keeps failing. I think it needs a bigger name like Superman again to build up steam. And even then I don't think it'd be easy. Its a different time and the Legion just hasn't been popular in a long time. I mean, maybe Bendis' plans will yield success where other ideas haven't. But as happy as I'll be to see them back, I'll remain skeptical it can sustain itself on its own till I see it.
    I don't think you're wrong. But Superboy would still be a bigger draw than Mon-El.

The Legion still probably needs a top-down overhaul to even have a remote chance of finding success and it'll take more than a Super (or even a Bat) on the roster to get there. But I don't think putting Superboy back with the Legion is a bad thing either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But "Superboy & The Legion" would sell more books than "Mon-El & The Legion" would. Jon's popular, and the Legion hasn't been in a long time. Putting Jon in the title would make a lot of sense from a marketing perspective.
    Didn't they already try this with Supergirl? It didn't seem to work quite as well as I think DC was hoping.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I not arguing with this one bit honestly. The books have the same function as far as Jon goes. That's 100% true. Maybe what ended up tipping the scales was just the need to bring the Legion in on stable ground, and building it on the back of the still forming but inherently popular Jon Kent may be the the idea?

As Ascended pointed out, I hope it's a weekend thing like a young Clark used to have. That would leave a lot of room for adventures with Damian, and maybe even a Super Sons relaunch. But obviously it wouldn't be quite the same given the age up.
    I don't think any of those titles would do as well with aged-up Jon though. They've shot themselves in the foot on this one.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't they already try this with Supergirl? It didn't seem to work quite as well as I think DC was hoping.
    Oh yeah, I forget they did that for a minute. That was.....gods, what, ten, fifteen years ago or something?

I think the best case for the Legion is solid mid-level sales, at best, and the inclusion of any character is unlikely to really change that. But you take what you can get, and Superboy/Jon might not be a huge draw but its better than nothing.

The Legion's best hope, I think, is in a total and complete overhaul. Changing up the roster and adding familiar faces is only going to accomplish so much. But still, Jon would get more attention than Mon-El.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

To be honest I think having Kon in a Legion book would be more advantagous for DC then having Jon there. Kon has a strong fanbase hungry for more stories for him to be in now that he's back to himself again and, to be frank, despite whatever "big plans" Bendis may have, this controversy over his aging up Jon has created a division in his fanbase so I'm not sure he's going to be that big of a draw.

At this point in time I have to agree with the assessment that DC has once again shot themselves in the foot by trying to fix a character that wasn't in need of fixing to begin with. They do have this nasty habit of doing so and this, at least for now, appears to be a just another instance of that.

Could I be wrong? Sure I could but its honestly how I've felt about this from the start and this is coming from someone who has been enjoying Bendis on Action a lot. I just have to many problems with how he's been handling writing on the Superman book. If it's your jam that's great but for me it's a complete bust.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 05-04-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

DC is in for a rude awakening if they shove an aged up Jon in a legion book....the only thing keeping fans who hate Jon post-gleason reading super sons is because of the fact that it is Kid-jon and the reason why superman is selling is because of superman(and those sales are declining quickly). Put Jon(Objectively the worst version of the character) in a legion book(A brand that has not sold well at all in recent years) is the kind of perfect way for fans to voice their discontent in a way that gets DC's attention by simply not buying it.

Mark my words, Jon is going to limbo very soon unless they ditch the Age-up NOW...and for those saying that wont be the case....save this comment and watch as my prediction comes true
    Last edited by jason white reborn; 05-05-2019 at 01:08 PM.

If the new attempt at the Legion fails it'll be because they still can't sell the concept to modern audiences, a problem they've had for at least 15 years or so. It'll have nothing to do with which version of Jon they use if he's used at all. Teen Jon or Kid Jon would offer the same amount of cachet: whatever prestige comes off a "Super" name that's not Superman himself. And in the end that wouldn't be much for either version of Jon, just like it probably wouldn't be much if you subbed in Kara or Kon. You're makng far too much over any perceived devastation DC is in over over aging Jon up. He's not that critical to the line for goodness sake.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-06-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

If the new attempt at the Legion fails it'll be because they still can't sell the concept to modern audiences, a problem they've had for at least 15 years or so. It'll have nothing to do with which version of Jon they use if he's used at all.
    I agree.

That said, I gotta wonder what Bendis specifically has cooking for the oncoming version of the Legion? Bendis has apparently had a Legion idea cooking in him for years now. He once described bit as a "balls out take on the Legion." It's also super likely that this is the super big project that he and Sook are working on. Add onto that the Unity Saga and Jon's journey, and it's safe to say that over 50% of Bendis' time at DC so far has been in service of the Legion. That's a lot of faith and time. Makes you wonder what the actual book will be like.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

And in the end that wouldn't be much for either version of Jon, just like it probably wouldn't be much if you subbed in Kara or Kon. You're makng far too much over any perceived devastation DC is in over over aging Jon up. He's not that critical to the line for goodness sake.
    I agree that Jon probably wouldn't matter much overall, but I think, without question, it would be more successful if they used a popular version of the character rather than a fairly controversial one.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

It would make more sense to me to put Kon in the Legion because he doesn't have specific ties to anyone on Earth, and could be a permanent resident of the 30th century. Whereas for Jon, it would mean abandoning his family that he fought so hard to get back to. This would also create some separation between the two Superboys (who are now stupidly very close in age).

That said, it would mean pulling Kon out of Young Justice (which I don't want to see), and also away from Gemworld where he apparently does have some unseen family.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Hated it.

Completely unnecessary.

Another mistake that compounded an earlier mistake (aging up Jon in the first place).

So young Jon spent YEARS in prison being tortured by a guy who looked exactly like his loving father, over and over again, and I'm supposed to be OK with this type of storytelling?

Nope.

This is what pushed me off the Bendis bandwagon. The "reorganization" of Lois & Clark's marriage (gee, Bendis, how many apologies DID you get after AC#1004? None? Bet you were surprised) backfired badly on him, but could be forgiven and forgotten.

But this? Hell no.

This gets retconned the moment Bendis is off the Superverse at the latest, if not earlier.
    Everything you said....I 100% agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Everything you said....I 100% agree!!
    Jon was a very likeable kid, well written, loved his partnering with Damien, and it was awesome seeing Jon, Clark, and Lois together. Aging him up basically killed the character for those that were fans. I know if my son (who is 6) were to go visit his grandparents for a week and come back as a 16 year old, I would be beyond angry, hurt, saddened to no end. I don't know that I could ever get over that. Jon's aging shouldn't just be a quick "ok, we lost 10 years of his life, let's move on to the next issue". It serves no purpose to now have two nearly-adult Superboys in continuity. It's a shi**y plotline and I hope it gets retconned out of existance.
    As for a Superboy in a new Legion title... Conner would've been perfect for that. Send him to the future and keep Jon as our one true Superboy.

On the other hand, you have a whole other generation of fans of whom Conner is their one true Superboy. Maybe they don't want him shipped away either. Its not all about Jon all the time.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-16-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

On the other hand, you have a whole other generation of fans of whom Conner is their one true Superboy. Maybe they don't want him shipped away either. Its not all about Jon all the time.
    But, conner has never been superman's proper sidekick. Jon was. Part of the reason jon is liked is because we get to see Clark giving lessons to Jon. So, cutting jon entirely of from clark will be bad for both.

Conner has a title coming out, which is not going exclude him called "young justice". Jon doesn't,the only time i would get to read about jon is in "the legion", which will be cut off from current time in the future and maybe some glorified cameos in the main books. Jon will also be cut off from the titans and damian.

And if you want teen character with angst and shipping nonsense to join legion why not use kon. Why change jon to fight that mold?