Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Disagree, it really depends on the story. Lord of the Rings would have gained nothing from being a TV series for example. People seem obsessed with TV these days, but depending on the story I still think film is the best medium for getting the real sense of epicness I associate with high fantasy.
    LotR was basically one long novel, which can be done in a movie or a trilogy. But most fantasy being published in recent decades is in series form, and trying to compress a dozen books into one movie never works, especially if those books form a continuous narrative.

All of the literature I mentioned would only be doable in series format.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

R A Salvatore's Drizzt Series were my favorite Fantasy Books. I especially loved Artemis and the world of the Dark Elves

Fantastic Member

I suggest the tower of the Elefant
    or the Dragonsbane novel

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    R A Salvatore's Drizzt Series were my favorite Fantasy Books. I especially loved Artemis and the world of the Dark Elves
    Those books have a huge fanbase. The Forgotten Realms is almost as detailed as the real medieval world. The Dragonlance books are also great for long-form storytelling. Hard to believe TSR/WotC has done so little to leverage this stuff. It would be expensive to produce, but if GoT isn't proof of concept I don't know what is.

Sadly so much of it I'm sure is the cost. and if the CGI isn't perfect, people will whine and complain about it.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Sadly so much of it I'm sure is the cost. and if the CGI isn't perfect, people will whine and complain about it.
    But they always do anyway, so the thing to do is just ignore them and go ahead and do it.

Astonishing Member

My personal favourite would be an adaptation of Berserk. Have Del Toro involved (The Advent with all the demons and The God Hand is right up his ally.) And cast Joe Manganiello as Guts. But given the fact he is a big DnD fan, I reckon he'd likely want to be involved with that. Provided they get something meaningful up and running.

Fantastic Member

I'm also throwing around a ssuggestions:
    The king of Elflands Daughter
    Gormenghast
    anything by michael Moorcock (especially Elric and/or Corum)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLeviathan View Post
    I'm also throwing around a ssuggestions:
    The king of Elflands Daughter
    Gormenghast
    anything by michael Moorcock (especially Elric and/or Corum)
    These are good ones... Gormenghast (the first two books) was actually done as a miniseries by the BBC about 20 years ago. I remember it being a pretty decent adaptation... Stephen Fry was in it.

An Elric series would be awesome, but sooooo easy to do badly. I would want Moorcock himself closely observing things, if not actually writing scripts.